+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2007

Re: Christmas 2007

MRD, your cards are lovely. We have a good friend who has been making her own cards for over 30 years. She keeps one from each year, and has them tucked away - it's amazing to see how different they are each year - she's wonderfully creative. About your cousin, every year our dear friends get one of those boastful form-letters from an old college roommate and the four of us read it aloud and just howl. It's beyond belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2718544;
    ok. here it is. silly as it is.

I thought about making it my avatar, but rudolf is just so much cuter.
    Schmoo, this just cracked me up and reminded me of when I was 7. I broke both bones in my left leg and had had a cast on for several months. The doctors kept promising I'd be cast-free for Christmas, but the time came and they realized I'd need to keep it on about three more weeks. I was devastated, so my dad took some red tape and spelled out Merry Christmas on my cast. I have a picture of it and I've got this big smile on my face. Dads make everything better.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2726378;
    MRD, your cards are lovely. We have a good friend who has been making her own cards for over 30 years. She keeps one from each year, and has them tucked away - it's amazing to see how different they are each year - she's wonderfully creative. About your cousin, every year our dear friends get one of those boastful form-letters from an old college roommate and the four of us read it aloud and just howl. It's beyond belief.

Schmoo, this just cracked me up and reminded me of when I was 7. I broke both bones in my left leg and had had a cast on for several months. The doctors kept promising I'd be cast-free for Christmas, but the time came and they realized I'd need to keep it on about three more weeks. I was devastated, so my dad took some red tape and spelled out Merry Christmas on my cast. I have a picture of it and I've got this big smile on my face. Dads make everything better.
    And you just know that these people have no clue that everyone else finds them over the top, boastful and FUNNY. I don't mind getting newsletters. It does help me keep up with family and friends. But most just say what they've been up too and its regular stuff and written by regular people. The one I get from her is not. And the way she writes it is indescribable. It's just the way she "sounds" in her writing.

Oh well, its fodder for hilarity anyway.

Can'tgetenuf, my friend has a GPS and her 7 year old son has been saying ever since they got it: "Mom just listen to the 'erections' and we'll get there fine". He has NO clue what he's really saying (he also has a speech impediment) and she says the first time he said it, she almost ran the car off the road.

So I hope your new GPS gives you good DI-rections.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Over the weekend our landlady brought over the biggest most gorgeous poinsettia plant I've ever seen. As I had NOWHERE in the house to put it. (it was gigantic) and its poisonous to dogs and I'm sure Waldo would have tried to eat it, I put it on the porch thinking it would be ok.

Nope, I've promptly managed to kill it. We've had temps in the high 20's the last couple of days and the poinsettia didn't make it. That has to be a record for me to kill a plant in so little time.

I feel awful. It was gorgeous. But what else to do with it. the darn thing was over 3 feet tall. I'm serious. HUGE.

Now all the gorgeous blooms are limp and sad looking.

I hope she doesn't come over expecting to see it.

The Night Before Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas,
    He lived all alone,
    In a one bedroom house,
    Made of plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney,
    With presents to give,
    And to see just who,
    In this home did live.

I looked all about,
    A strange sight I did see,
    No tinsel, no presents,
    Not even a tree.

No stocking by the mantle,
    Just boots filled with sand,
    On the wall hung pictures,
    Of far distant lands.

With medals and badges,
    Awards of all kinds,
    A sober thought,
    Came through my mind.

For this house was different,
    It was dark and dreary,
    I found the home of a soldier,
    Once I could see clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping,
    Silent, alone,
    Curled up on the floor,
    In this one bedroom home.

The face was so gentle,
    The room in such disorder,
    Not how I pictured,
    A Canadian soldier.

Was this the hero,
    Of whom I'd just read?,
    Curled up on a poncho,
    The floor for a bed?

I realized the families,
    That I saw this night,
    Owed their lives to these soldiers,
    Who were willing to fight.

Soon round the world,
    The children would play,
    And grownups would celebrate,
    A bright Christmas Day.

They all enjoyed freedom,
    Each month of the year,
    Because of the soldiers,
    Like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder,
    How many lay alone,
    On a cold Christmas Eve,
    In a land far from home.

The very thought brought
    A tear to my eye,
    I dropped to my knees,
    And started to cry.

The soldier awakened,
    And I heard a rough voice,
    'Santa, don't cry.
    This life is my choice.

I fight for freedom,
    I don't ask for more,
    My life is my God,
    My country, my corps.'

The soldier rolled over,
    And drifted to sleep,
    I couldn't control it,
    I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours,
    So silent and still,
    And we both shivered,
    From the cold night's chill.

I didn't want to leave,
    On that cold, dark night,
    This guardian of honor,
    So willing to fight.

Then the soldier rolled over,
    With a voice, soft and pure,
    Whispered, 'Carry on Santa,
    It's Christmas Day, all is secure.'

One look at my watch,
    And I knew he was right,
    'Merry Christmas my friend,
    And to all a good night.'

This poem was written by a peace keeping soldier stationed overseas. Christmas will be here soon. While we are all enjoying Xmas, send a happy thought to our soldiers and their families who will not be able to spend this holiday season together. I wish them all to be safe and to come home soon.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Bad baking karma going on here.

I've made oatmeal cookies and cheese straws. Both turned out ok, but what a pain in the butt. Nothing went right at all trying to get them made.

Now daughter is doing cut out cookies and the same thing is happening. The dough is sticking, the first batch burned.

ARGH! We need a baking makeover here. I don't think I've ever had a year where the baking was such a pain. Usually we all have fun with it.

This will go down as the year of Christmas baking hell.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

MRD, I'm still thinking about the newsletter you need to send to your relation. Notice that I didn't say family or relations. I still think it would be humorous to send a travelogue or monologue about your medical travails this past year. Include each and every symptom and get graphic.

My one set of grandparents sent one out for years. They generally just wrote about one set of grandchildren and forgot completely about the other 2 sets. We'd really laugh when they'd mention that one grandchild had brought his grades up and it was because he was held back a year. Not that that was funny, but you would expect a held-back child to improve on the same material in school. And this was the year that my sister was inducted in the National Honor Society. Well, it just goes to show ya...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2728644;
    MRD, I'm still thinking about the newsletter you need to send to your relation. Notice that I didn't say family or relations. I still think it would be humorous to send a travelogue or monologue about your medical travails this past year. Include each and every symptom and get graphic.

My one set of grandparents sent one out for years. They generally just wrote about one set of grandchildren and forgot completely about the other 2 sets. We'd really laugh when they'd mention that one grandchild had brought his grades up and it was because he was held back a year. Not that that was funny, but you would expect a held-back child to improve on the same material in school. And this was the year that my sister was inducted in the National Honor Society. Well, it just goes to show ya...
    Even if I wrote her a graphic description of everything I've gone through this year, I highly doubt she'd get it at all. It's not about her you know.

But it is amusing to think about.

I amuse myself thinking evil thoughts that I never act on.

Yesterday at the museum, we had an aide accompany a group of children on a field trip. I amused myself the entire time they were there, picturing myself walkiing up and just punching her in the mouth! She was a real piece of work and had I been the teacher in charge, I would have written her up immediately when I got back to school. The kids were 100 times better behaved.

Still I figure my reputation is shot now admitting that I think evil thoughts to amuse myself. I guess thinking them is better than acting on them, but still, its not so nice. But I do get great satisfaction out of it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2728666;
    Even if I wrote her a graphic description of everything I've gone through this year, I highly doubt she'd get it at all. It's not about her you know.

But it is amusing to think about.

I amuse myself thinking evil thoughts that I never act on.

Yesterday at the museum, we had an aide accompany a group of children on a field trip. I amused myself the entire time they were there, picturing myself walkiing up and just punching her in the mouth! She was a real piece of work and had I been the teacher in charge, I would have written her up immediately when I got back to school. The kids were 100 times better behaved.

Still I figure my reputation is shot now admitting that I think evil thoughts to amuse myself. I guess thinking them is better than acting on them, but still, its not so nice. But I do get great satisfaction out of it.
    I jinxed myself. I just got the email about her trip. I think I'm going to see those Christmas cookies I just ate again!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I've been having so much trouble this year coming up with a gift idea for my mother. She's the type of person who buys herself what she wants when she wants it... I've been through this many times in the past, and she still does the same thing.

So this year I decided to do a little "coupon book" for her, but I'm coming up short on ideas to include. Any of you have ideas for neat things we can do to spend time together while still having fun in the coming year? I've got a mani/pedi date, a movie date, a lunch after shopping date... I've included a home cooked meal that she doesn't have to cook, an afternoon of cards and coffee and a car-wash. I thought about including something like an afternoon date at the local art museum, but she does that regularly with her girlfriends. She does dinner out a lot, too...

Any other ideas? What else do you like to do with your mom that I could include in my little gift-book? Any help in this is greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to things I would buy for her, but mostly I'm looking for things we can do together.

How about a gift certificate for her favorite bail bondsman? Or does only my family do that?

+ Reply to Thread