+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2007

Re: Christmas 2007

I forgot all about the Home Alones! Thanks! We watched A Christmas Story... It was cute but I don't get the cult following either.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Your cards look loevely, mrd

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2721682;
    That's pretty cool burntbrat. I'm a little confused though as I recall you said " ... the theme is 'Christmas in your favorite city' ... " Since neither Gilligan's Island or Wisteria Lane is a "city" per se is it safe to presume that anything even closely resembling the theme is acceptable ? I was wondering if any strictly adhering department has ever challenged for non-compliance ?
    Do you all wear costumes ... who does the judging ... and what are the prizes ?

Win or lose, it seems like it was fun. This is in an office right ... and is that that ship wrapped around a cubicle ? I think your idea was fantastic and congrats on winning your Division anyway !
    Yeah, we all went a little off-theme. I don't think anyone stuck to the theme this year. One office just had "Christmas at Jack in the Box" and had those stupid Jack balls all over the place. My department wore costumes, sort of. I wore pig-tails and leis and one of the guys wore a skipper hat and the other tried to look like Gilligan. The judges are different every year, but it's usually our most-loved vendors or retired managers. The prizes are catered lunches, gift cards, baskets of goodies, that kind of thing. My department won lunch out to a restaurant of our choosing. So we'll pick something really expensive and order three courses, of course. The ship is wrapped around a metal rack. We don't have cubicles in I.T. You can't box us in!

ETA: I love those cards, MRD. You're very talented!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

burntbrat: Congrats on your great entry in your company contest! It looks great!

myrosiedog: Those are really wonderful cards! You did a fabulous job, no matter if they were stamps and paper!
    ---------
    My favorite Christmas movie is the original Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Love the ending with everyone holding hands in a circle and singing that little song. (What are the words to that thing anyway??)

I've attended two Xmas dinners with weekend but haven't had a turkey dinner yet! At the first one we had prime rib at a hotel downtown. The second party was in Banff at a Lodge on Tunnel Mountain. We drove in the dark and it was an incredible/scary drive. The dinner was exquisite: we enjoyed filet of beef in front of a wood burning fireplace! We are definitely living in an Alberta Beef province. Both dinners were extremely yummy! I also enjoy a morning brunch but it was actually just a breakfast buffet. No beef. ( LOL

I haven't been out to a formal Xmas party in years. I managed to put together a couple of nice outfits and fit in ok. But boy, I must be getting old. Just one dance with my sweetie, visiting with his clients, a couple of glasses of wine, and I was exhausted. Definitely not as young as I used to be, and not as young as I think I am. :oho
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-17-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2725497;
    burntbrat: Congrats on your great entry in your company contest! It looks great!

myrosiedog: Those are really wonderful cards! You did a fabulous job, no matter if they were stamps and paper!
    ---------
    My favorite Christmas movie is the original Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Love the ending with everyone holding hands in a circle and singing that little song. (What are the words to that thing anyway??)

I've attended two Xmas dinners with weekend but haven't had a turkey dinner yet! At the first one we had prime rib at a hotel downtown. The second party was in Banff at a Lodge on Tunnel Mountain. We drove in the dark and it was an incredible/scary drive. The dinner was exquisite: we enjoyed filet of beef in front of a wood burning fireplace! We are definitely living in an Alberta Beef province. Both dinners were extremely yummy! I also enjoy a morning brunch but it was actually just a breakfast buffet. No beef. ( LOL

I haven't been out to a formal Xmas party in years. I managed to put together a couple of nice outfits and fit in ok. But boy, I must be getting old. Just one dance with my sweetie, visiting with his clients, a couple of glasses of wine, and I was exhausted. Definitely not as young as I used to be, and not as young as I think I am. :oho

this would be me!!!!

I'm so glad you had such a nice time. It sounds wonderful. Beef, it's what's for dinner (that was the tag line for an American commercial sponsored by the beef producers here)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

MRD, I just saw your post and pics of the Christmas cards. They're very lovely.

I also love doing hand-made cards, but just started really putting it all together for "mass production" last year. Before that, I'd do a card or two for those special people I wanted to wish a Merry Christmas, and that was it. Last year, I did about 2 dozen. This year, about 3 dozen. It does take time, but again, I agree with you that if you enjoy what you are doing, then the time really flies. I usually set up in front of the TV and go to town for a few hours a couple of times a week after Thanksgiving.

Besides Christmas, I've done my own cards for almost every other holiday for years now. Although I must admit yours look much more elegant than mine! I tend to go for the cutesy type of card with snow-men and snow-flakes and Christmas trees and such.

Fatima/Whitney/Stacy Ann TopModelFan1's Avatar

This is a little off-topic from the discussion going on right now, but I haven't seen a thread for Christmas gifts.

Out of the blue, my sister decided to get me an iPOD classic. I was not expecting anything at all (save for maybe a gift card to Express). It was a nice surprise.

What are y'all getting/wanting for Christmas?
    Tyra, please don't shave my head.

My husband and I don't usually exchange gifts. We wait until tax season then we each buy ourselves just about anything we want.

This year I want a really nice GPS that will give me turn by turn directions. I've been eyeballing the Tom Toms. The GPS I have now loses signal to easily under tree cover or in a valley. It also doesn't have maps on it so to many times I'm just following an arrow right down a dead end street and figure out that I was supposed to turn two streets back.

I also need a new PDA. I had a real cheapo I was using but its gone kaput. Its a shame too because it did exactly what I needed it to without all the bells and whistles of the newer models to confuse me. So I'll probably buy a used one off of ebay.

There are also some DVDs that I want. I need Boston Legal season 3 and Las Vegas season 4.

Last night I bought my kids MP3 players that play video. Thats the extent of my Christmas shopping so far this year.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2725672;
    MRD, I just saw your post and pics of the Christmas cards. They're very lovely.

I also love doing hand-made cards, but just started really putting it all together for "mass production" last year. Before that, I'd do a card or two for those special people I wanted to wish a Merry Christmas, and that was it. Last year, I did about 2 dozen. This year, about 3 dozen. It does take time, but again, I agree with you that if you enjoy what you are doing, then the time really flies. I usually set up in front of the TV and go to town for a few hours a couple of times a week after Thanksgiving.

Besides Christmas, I've done my own cards for almost every other holiday for years now. Although I must admit yours look much more elegant than mine! I tend to go for the cutesy type of card with snow-men and snow-flakes and Christmas trees and such.
    RG, it's nice to know another "carder". I love to make cards. I started out scrapbooking and it grew from there. My card style changes depending on my mood. I have several idea books and I look for stuff on the internet and experiment too. I like cutsey too. This year, I was in a kind of rustic and elegant mood. So I have the more elegant, embossed ones and the rustic ones using twine and the brown paper. I really liked the ones I used the non-traditional colors on, especially the brown.

Topmodel: what a nice gift and nice surprise. I'm surprised when my brother sends me a card. I get not even that from my sister.
    Enjoy your ipod. I don't have the classic, but I really do enjoy mine. I spent some time today adding some old CD's I had to mine.

MRD

I've posted in the troubles thread about my pretentious cousin and her pretentious emails. I got a THREE PAGE full color with photos Christmas newsletter today that was so over the top, we've just had to laugh.

But it reminded me of a newsletter I wrote one year.

It started out with
    "Dear Friends and family, if this were a typical year, we would be telling you that blah, blah, blah, but this isn't a typical year.

You see, in July we won the Florida Lottery! After 12 years of playing weekly, our diligence paid off. We hit the big time! We have managed to keep it secret for some time so we could set up our offshore accounts and start construction on the houses we are building in North Port, Boca Grande, North Carolina and the South of France.

Anyway, it continued in this vein until the very end
    Where I wrote
    So come see us, but call first as you never know which house we will be residing in at any given time.

IF ONLY.......................... ..."

Well just about everyone that got it thought it was a scream and we heard so much funny feedback about it. The funniest thing was that EVERYONE but my husbands family got the joke. THEY thought it was real and called to borrow money.

What makes it even funnier is that Enron exploded the next year, so I followed up that letter the next Christmas with one that went:

"Dear Family and Friends

They say easy come and easy go and how well we know that. On the advice of our several accountants, we invested heavily in Enron stock. As you all know what has now happened with that company, it is sad to say that we are busted once again. Yep, flat broke. We never even got to spend any time in our house in the South of France. I sure hope whoever the bank is able to resell it too appreciates the frescos and gold plated bathroom fixtures." and on and on.

That one got a great response as well and kept my husband's idiots, I mean family, off our backs.

Anyway, I haven't done a newsletter since those two and everyone keeps asking me why because they were so funny. But I can't come up with anything to top those 2 at all.

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I need to send something to top the pretentious one I just got from my cousin.

+ Reply to Thread