+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifts that keep on giving

Gifts that keep on giving

I thought I'd start a new thread about items that can be purchased which not only provide a gift, but support a cause. I know that everyone has special charities they support through monetary donations anytime of year. But I thought there would be some great gift ideas out there that have a social impact as well.

- One year, I purchased items from The Leprosy Mission (Canada) catalogue. I bought a couple of games and items as gifts and also helped a cause at the same time. You can also purchase a gift of rubber shoes, a goat, or even cataract surgery for smeone in need.
    Leprosyshop

- Julia Roberts designed two really nice leather bracelets with Georgio Armani. The leather bracelet in red or brown has a "Tree of Life" design and inside carries the initials J.R, Armani said. I think 40% of the price goes towards AIDS in Africa. I think they are very nice items, even though we do not have an Armani store here in Canada.
    The leather bracelet in red or brown has a "Tree of Life" design and inside carries the initials J.R, Armani said.
    Julia Roberts designs a first in Armani bracelet | Lifestyle | Living | Reuters

- Another great idea I thought were items which support Bono's RED campaign. They had some great t-shirts! The Killer's New Christmas single sends 100% of the proceeds to charity. (RED)

- Of course our local Humaine Society sells annual calendars every year which make nice gifts and help support your local pet programs!

Does anyone else have any great Gift Ideas that keep on giving?
    Last edited by misskitty; 11-20-2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: Gifts that Keep on Giving

Heifer Project International is one of my favorites. You can buy any number of animals for people in need and part of the agreement is that they, in turn, share with others in their community. They also have gift items if you want to give a real thing. (But how much fun would it be to say, I got you a goat for Christmas?). Save the Children used to put out a Christmas catalogue of indigenous arts and crafts with really cool jewelry, clothing, musical instruments, masks, dolls, appliqued pillows, etc. The child I sponsored with them was killed in the Rawanda massacre so I don't know if they still do that.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I LOVE the Heifer Project. Good one to mention Gutmutter!

The Ovarian Cancer Research Fund sells some beautiful note cards each year. Giving those as gifts has become a favorite of mine.

MRD

museum memberships are great too. I know our museum relies on grants and memberships and annual passes for income. And many museums offer extra programs, discounts and other things to people that become members.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank god! I thought this was going to be about STDs

A favourite of ours is the CNIB calendars (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
    We tend to keep our currency close to home... many of the organisations in my city are selling something or another at this time of the year and we support them. Like the Shriners fruit cakes, the Soup Kitchen (shelter) and a Breast Cancer survivor group make hand made Christmas cards and tags, the Mental Health organisation makes ornaments, the Senior Citizens Centre always has a craft/bake sale. (The hand knit items are amazing and very affordable)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Or a pregnant cat

One of my sisters is heavily involved with Lions, so consider this a plug on her behalf.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Duxxy and Newf,

where is the icon of the smiley wiping spit off the computer monitor?

I am and thanking god I just went to the bathroom before reading these posts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2682945;
    Heifer Project International is one of my favorites. You can buy any number of animals for people in need and part of the agreement is that they, in turn, share with others in their community. They also have gift items if you want to give a real thing. (But how much fun would it be to say, I got you a goat for Christmas?). Save the Children used to put out a Christmas catalogue of indigenous arts and crafts with really cool jewelry, clothing, musical instruments, masks, dolls, appliqued pillows, etc. The child I sponsored with them was killed in the Rawanda massacre so I don't know if they still do that.
    That's sad about your sponsored child, Gutmutter.

World Vision has a similar program where you can buy animals for people in need. Not just animals, though, they also have things like trees and seeds, medical supplies, education/training...a wide variety. You can buy them in someone else's name if you wish. I got a brochure from Unicef recently and,as I recall, they had items you could buy that were made from indigenous craftsmen. Looking on their website they have a lot of different goods to order - toys, clothing, home furnishings - but I don't see the craft items. Maybe they don't have them on the website yet. They also have what they call "gifts of magic." Gifts of magic are similar to what World Vision offers - school supplies, art supplies, toys/sports supplies, medicine, shelter supplies etc. all going to children in need.
    Last edited by CCL; 11-20-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2683342;

)
    Me too, I was almost afraid to look!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2683368;
    Or a pregnant cat
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast