+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gifts that keep on giving

Re: Gifts that keep on giving

I just wanted to add one little thing;

Around here at this time of the year there is a really big drive for the Food Banks. There are boxes and crates set up just about everywhere for non-perishables. Something that doesn't occur to many to donate is baby food and diapers. There is a real need for these (expensive) items. So maybe if you wanted to do something a little different you could throw a bag of diapers in the bin this year.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

One of my favorite Christmas traditions (and my daughter's) is to get a name off the Angel Tree and go overboard buying clothes and toys for the child we pick. A woman assured us last year that they don't break up the gifts if they are uneven, because we go for whole matching outfits... shoes, coats, scarves, pants, shirts, sweaters, etc.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2685130;
    One of my favorite Christmas traditions (and my daughter's) is to get a name off the Angel Tree and go overboard buying clothes and toys for the child we pick. A woman assured us last year that they don't break up the gifts if they are uneven, because we go for whole matching outfits... shoes, coats, scarves, pants, shirts, sweaters, etc.
    I do that too Gut...my son and I have always picked out a boy who was my son's age and we buy him tons of gifts/clothes. We do that at work too...there are 2 offices combined and we get a boy and girl and each office buys them gifts.

Also, here we have something that is similar to the Angel Tree for kids but this one is for senior citizens in nursing homes. I've done that before and it always makes me cry because they always want so little (bath powder, wind chimes, socks, baby dolls).

I am also notorious for picking up sale items (and after Christmas toys) throughout the year and putting them back to use. The other day I was at Walmart and they had infant kids sized swim shoes and velcro sandals with Spiderman, Dora the Explorer and Thomas the Train for 10 cents a pair. I bought every pair they had ($2.00) and gave them to a lady I know who runs a facility for kids whose parent(s) are in jail. She'll put them back and save them for when they get children in.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I wonder why I never thought of that. Last year after the holidays, Walmart had canned pumpkin and boxes of cornbread mix for 10 cents each. A couple of dollars worth donated to a food drive would be a lot for a little. Thanks for the idea!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2685128;
    I just wanted to add one little thing;

Around here at this time of the year there is a really big drive for the Food Banks. There are boxes and crates set up just about everywhere for non-perishables. Something that doesn't occur to many to donate is baby food and diapers. There is a real need for these (expensive) items. So maybe if you wanted to do something a little different you could throw a bag of diapers in the bin this year.
    something else to consider and I found this out after Hurricane Katrina. I know its not real Christmasy, but, many places like the Salvation Army, etc. get a lot of diapers and formula donated, but one thing they really are always in need of is personal hygiene products for adults. Soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper and especially female hygiene products. At this time of year, people donate a lot of food items, but sometimes its the little things like a bar of soap or some tampons that can really be needed as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just a reminder not to forget your vets and local animal shelters at Christmas or anytime throughout the year!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12