+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Veteran's Day 2007

MRD

Veteran's Day 2007

I just wanted to say a big Thank You to the veteran's on this board.

Your service to your country is greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to tell any vets in your family thank you for what they've done for their country. Make a Vet happy and tell them thank you. And get out there this weekend and support the many Veteran's day celebrations. I know from experience that saying thank you to Vet's is much appreciated by them. I never fail to get a look of shock, surprise and then gratitude when I shake a Vet's hand and tell him/her thanks.

Best wishes to all you Vets and to your families for the big sacrifices you've made.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Veteran's Day 2007

Thank you for the reminder, MRD.

Many, many thanks to all of our servicemen/women and our veterans for all you do for us and our country. Many thanks, also, to the families of these men and women who keep the homefires burning while their loved ones are out there keeping us safe.

May God bless you all.

To all the Veterans. Thank You.

In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army
    IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

workn2hard2day: Thank you for posting Flander's Fields!

I remember we used to make poppys in school and had to learn and recite Flanders Fields. I don't think they do that in schools anymore which is sad.

myrosiedog: I always buy a poppy and smile and help any veterans that I know. They have certainly given the ultimate sacrifice for our country. I have definitely notice how the number of living WW2 veterans has dwindled every year at our local ceremonies. Now we have new, young veterans who need to be honored.

Unfortunately, several poppy donation boxes have already been stolen in our City. I just don't get it. Our vets rely on that money for many programs and support. It makes me very angry!

God bless our men and women who defend our country and peace throughout the world: fathers, husbands, brothers, and sons; mothers, wives, sisters, and daughters.

We honor you.
    Last edited by misskitty; 11-09-2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thank You to all those who have served or are serving in our armed forces.

Special thanks to all the Military Veterans and their families, with special thanks for those who put themselves in harms' way as combat veterans ! You are my heroes.

As far as I'm concerned, every day is Veteran's Day.

Try not to forget the families and loved ones ( Parents, spouses, children, siblings, etc. ) of Veterans, Gold Star families, and the families of those still serving. They sacrifice and serve for all of us as well.

And ... ( depending on your time zone) a slightly late Happy Birthday to the United States Marines ! Semper Fidelis !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

From yesterday's festivities at the museum.

Hubby and the guys with the WWII memorabilia and the jeep. Hubby is in the gray shirt and beret.

The amazing lady from Poland who survived the concentration camps and then was with the Red Cross at Monte Cassino in Italy.

The Panel group on WWII combat.

From left (and I don't remember their names unfortunately)
    The gentlemen was with the "Big Red One" and landed at D-Day. He was also present at Nuremberg during the trials after the war. He was also part of a liberation group for 2 concentration camps at the end of the war. He told a really funny story of being sick of eating C rations and fishing with hand grenades to get something fresh to eat. He was so funny. He talked about how he left the Citadel to join the Army and was told he would be trained to be a navigator on B-17's only to find himself on a liberty ship headed for England. When he asked what happened to navigation school he was told: "you're in the infantry now". He was a natural storyteller and made it very entertaining.

Next to him is the Iwo Jima survivor.

In the middle is a gentlemen that was captured in the Phillipines at Bataan and survived the death march and 3 Hell ships. I urge you to google Hell Ships because the conditions on them were hell and its amazing that he was able to survive at all. He spent 6 months in the hospital at the end of the war when the POW's were released. He was just amazing.

Next to him is a gentleman that was working with communications and cryptography in the Pentagon during the war.

And on the end is the gentlemen that was company commander of Japanese-American troops that landed at Anzio. He got to see Mussolini's body shortly after he was killed by firing squad.

All just incredible men, who did what they had to do and lived to tell about it. None felt like they were heros and most were glad to be thanked for their service, but kind of bewildered by all the attention.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My thoughts, love, and prayers go out to all who have served our country, who are currently serving, and those at home who miss them every day.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread