+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

FORT Fogey
    Bah. Us Californians don't have any cool sayings. Its just the stereotypical surfer dude (which, might I add, I have never seen or met one) "Hey Dude.. You, like, want to go, like, to the beach?" hmph. I wish I lived in the south, life wouldb e so much more interesting. I'd probably burst out laughing every time I heard someone say "yeah hey" or "Fixin'" or "y'all"

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Another one, and this may be a Birmingham thing or a Southern states thing, is ReeSIE Cup instead of "Reese's Peanut Butter Cup." Don't ask me why it drives me crazy. It just does.
    I cannot stand it when people says ReeSIE.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafabulous
    I'll never forget...me...16 years old...on a trip with my high school travel club...heathrow international....the lady checking my luggage tells me to stand in queue and wait for my bags. I was like..stand how?
    At Walt Disney World they also refer to it as queue. Werid Huh?

Canada has some very strange ones. They call sneakers, runners. They call soda, pop. There are a lot of them.

I dont know if these have been mentioned but sprinkles and jimmies are another common one.

When I was on a cruise, the family at our dinner table said ya'll, ever since then I have been using it, not often though.

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    If anyone is from Pittsburgh or has spent any amount of time there with the locals, you will recognize that lovely language called "Pittsburghese" that makes people sound oh so intelligent...

The two most notable: yinz (a variation on "you", "you guys", "y'all") and n'at (a contraction of "and that"... For example: Yinz want to go to Primanti's n'at?

Other great words I've never heard anywhere else: gumband (rubber band), slippy (slippery), spicket (faucet), nebby (nosy), and jagoff (someone you do not like)

Not to mention on the actual words used and their different pronunciations... too many to count. I picked up on some words while going to school here and people at home just laugh at me.

Oh and by the way, the football team is the Pittsburgh Stillers.
    Last edited by PittGrrl04; 04-24-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    you are killing me phat...I promise not everyone here talks like that. A lot of the things you point out I've only heard my grandparents say...or people their age.
    Where do you find these people?

PS - william huang's playing DJ on the radio this afternoon - on one of the promo clips they are trying to make him say "Q" and he says it really fast and they make him do it again and he's like ok here's how you say it here "cuuuuuuue". Hilarious hearing him do that.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Mudah, my grandparents (from eastern Tennessee and western Virginia) say some of those things. They also always said "warsh" for wash and "orter" for "ought to."
    My grandfather still tells my very skinny sister that she looks "poor as a snake."
    On the "fixin' to" thing -- a couple of months ago, the Democrats in this state (Virginia) had a big dinner that was shown on C-Span because they had most of the Democratic presidential candidates there. The emcee was a good ol' boy state legislator who announced to everyone there, and everyone watching on C-Span, that they were "fixin' to start."
    fixin' to is the worst of the worst. I correct my friends if they say that. my grandma also says "warsh" and uses "r" in some other words that don't have an 'r' ...chicago is one I can think of right off hand.

I like y'all - I'll use it forever...no matter where I live. Which reminds me, me and 3 friends got a free breakfast at a NYC doughnut shop just because of our southern accent. As soon as we opened our mouths he was like...WHERE are yous from? He even brought out a video camera - I was like y'all know he's gonna show this to his friends and have a big laugh.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

When I'm speaking to someone who doesn't live here I tend to soften my accent a lot. In N.I. we tend to speak very quickly and slur words into each other. We also tnd not to finish words. It's fine if you know the lingo but you can even buy books in Belfast for tourists with a "language" guide.
    Anyway here are some examples of our local lingo:

Aye ...................Yes

Afeard .................... scared

Bake .................... face e.g. Shut yer bake!!

Bout ye ................... Hello

Brew .................... Unemployment benefit. e.g. I'm on the brew.

Class ................... Great

Dander .................. walk e.g. I'm going for a dander

Eejit .................... Idiot

Frig .................. Slightly more polite version of f..k

Geg ................... Fun e.g. that was a right geg!

Gutties ............... trainers, sports shoes

Hectic ............... mad or bizarre

Houl on .............. Wait

Messages ................. Weeks shopping

Mucker ..................... friend ( usually male )

Nice one ............... That was good

Offees ................ Off licence ( where you buy alcohol )

Peeler ................ Police man

Piece ............... Sandwich

Scundered ............. Embarassed

Sicken ye ................ annoy you

Spoofin ................. Lying

Tube .................. Someone with a low IQ

Weaker .............. Brilliant.

Wick ................ Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFabulous
    I've lived in the south most of my life and I can not stand the 'fixin to' phrase and the universal 'coke' thing. Drives me nuts. I don't say those...but I'm sure I'm guilty of all the rest.
    Hee hee I love a good southern boy salesman to visit me.....I love the accent and the sayings not sure why but it is a little bit of a turn on for me. (Ps I like iddin' it and wuddin'it.....as well)

The coke thing erks me, I'm a DP girl all the way. I went out in Atlanta one night for dinner....I asked for a Diet Pepsi and the waitress gave me this god-awful look like I had just killed her child! (I Am NOT exaggerating) The group I was with kind of laughed it off....when I asked them why she acted that way? I was edumacated that Atlanta is coke-capital.....picky picky.

Speaking of salesmen with an accent - Troy the apprentice - I was shocked when I found out he was from Idaho. I would have bet that he was from Georgia just by listening to him talk.

PS - forever I read your screen name as Wisconsin WEED - I only got it like a week ago.

Sorry phat32, yes, MIL is Mother in law. I too hate the "carry" thing. They sometimes carry the truck in for an oil change. I hope to see that done one day. Oh another of my favorites is Years, you know, one on each side of your head. (ears) She drinks through a quill, not straw. What I find so odd about this is that her mother didn't talk that way, nor did her sisters. It's like she decided to practice stupidity and it just sort of got away from her.

In Montana (and maybe other places too) it's not a creeeeeeeeeeeeek, it's a CRICK!

+ Reply to Thread