+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

I used to work with a British woman (who I am still close with) and I will never forget the day we were making a list of supplies, and she said "Don't forget the bum scrub this time!"

In case any of you are as slow on the uptake as I was, that is toilet paper!
    Hee Hee.
    Go Tigers!

Oh yes, and I also remember the time that I came into work verrrrry hung over once(or twice) and she told me that my eyes looked like "two pissholes in the snow." ??? I think she meant that I had beady little squinty eyes, which somehow doesn't have the same poetic sound as pissholes in the snow. Is my buddy creating her own colloquialisms, or do people in England actually use those terms?!
    Go Tigers!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    she told me that my eyes looked like "two pissholes in the snow." ??? I
    I have heard this one and even used it. another one is "close your eyes before you bleed to death" = really bad bloodshot eyes

We say "two piss holes in the snow" here too, and "pissant" as well for all the above listed reasons. Not only that, we refer to those real tiny, almost invisible sized ants as "pissants". Does anyone not in the south use "pissants" to describe real ants?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I've heard the piss-holes in the snow one before. (yes, used by others to describe my peepers on many occasions )
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    I used to work with a British woman (who I am still close with) and I will never forget the day we were making a list of supplies, and she said "Don't forget the bum scrub this time!"

In case any of you are as slow on the uptake as I was, that is toilet paper!
    Hee Hee.
    Ooh! I've never heard that one, thank goodness. The British can be rather blunt. I remember that before I moved there, a friend of ours came home for a visit (to Canada) after being in the UK for 2 years. We were all out at a restaurant, and she stood up and said "I'm just going to the toilet." We were just aghast. Too much information. Now, I wouldn't blink twice at someone saying that, but I'd never heard someone call a bathroom in a restaurant what it really is: a toilet. (In my part of Canada we never say restroom, we say bathroom, and never toilet, unless we absolutely have to refer to the piece of plumbing itself. Anyway restroom in a wierd term too, what are we doing resting in toilet?)

I don't know, giz, we're certainly not taking a bath in there either! Well, at least I hope not. Some of us around here (me, Stargazer, Libra1022, Lucy, Unkleskott for a few) don't call it any of the above. You know, we're from the South, where it's still cAlled "the outhouse"....
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queen. I'm only 29, and I've BEEN in an outhouse before. They're still around.

Everyone I know calls it a bathroom, unless we're out trying to be fancy and then we ask for the "ladies room."
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm 29 (30 in days ) and I've been in an outhouse too. They are just as gross as one might imagine.

I call it whatever comes to mind, I guess. Restroom, bathroom, even "toilet" on occasion. I only call it "ladies room" when I've been drinking. I have no idea why.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

The sun don't shine on the dog's rear end all the time

When among apes, one must play the ape

These are mystery phases that I grew up with, but nobody outside of my family seems to recognize them--can anyone give me insight to their geographic origin?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread