+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna
    Okay
    Here's what the young people are saying for really good or great here in central California:
    "sick" can you believe it?
    I think that's pretty much nationwide, started by the skateboard/trick bike/inline crowd. At least I know they say it in Ga, and even heard it in Alaska last fall.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    "Sick, mate, sick" is a Greek/Lebanese thing as well in Australia. It means pretty much the same as it does here in the States. Just another word for "cool".
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    "Sick, mate, sick"...Just another word for "cool".
    I've always wondered how adjectives with negative connotations become "street" lingo for "cool." (See: "stupid," "sick," "phat," et. al.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Okay
    Here's what the young people are saying for really good or great here in central California:
    "sick" can you believe it?
    I'm a native New Yorker and I've heard of and used that since I was a kid over 20 years ago.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I've always wondered how adjectives with negative connotations become "street" lingo for "cool." (See: "stupid," "sick," "phat," et. al.)
    Also "wicked" and "bad". Both were popular sayings back in my day.

Strangely enough, "gay" and "retarded" have always had negative connotations. They never have made the transition to mean something good.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Another term which I am sure also came from the surfer, skater crowd is when an object is really cool, they say....... "that's junk"............

and since I enjoy collecting antiques, I kinda relate to that one LOL
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Junk in the Trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Also "wicked" and "bad". Both were popular sayings back in my day.
    Ah, yes. Good call!

Strangely enough, "gay" and "retarded" have always had negative connotations. They never have made the transition to mean something good.
    ...Again, this goes back to my question of how some words with negative connotations make it into the vernacular as lingo for "good" but some don't.

Another term which I am sure also came from the surfer, skater crowd is when an object is really cool, they say....... "that's junk"............

and since I enjoy collecting antiques, I kinda relate to that one LOL
    I like it, I like it! I'm going to have to incorporate "junk" into my patter.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Here in our area of California we mainly refer to soft drinks as soda....sometimes as Coke........When I was a kid we called it soda water or soda pop
    Why not participate in the national survey on this issue?

http://www.popvssoda.com/
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Why not participate in the national survey on this issue?
    http://www.popvssoda.com/
    I'm originally from TN but I've always called everything Coke. From that chart, this is mostly used on the eastern part of the U.S. and is most popular in the south.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

We've always said coke to mean any carbonated beverage. I grew up in CA but my family is from Louisiana, so I guess it was a southern thing after all.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread