+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

Fade to black
    Phat

1) I've definitely been a cabana boy once or twice in my life.

2) Have you ever had a friend INSIST that you "hook up" with said grenade in order to help ensure his chances of success? (Note to self - do not hang out with this friend in future)

Ah, those were the good old days. Now, I just mire away in front of my computer and write, write, write.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Grenade = fat chick?

Just wondering...
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Originally posted by John
    The UP is more Sconnie than Michigander, so the talk is a little more scandinavian. Plus, you can throw a little Canuck into that dialect, and see what you get.

In the UP, having a flashing yellow light at the intersection your gas station's on makes you a metropolis.
    John...think Finn and you have it right. Plus I see you drove through my home town.

Phat...I rent Fargo just to die laughing at the 2 girls being questioned scene, I would swear they grew up down the road.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

"The Cottage": Many folks in Michigan have a place they go to Up North that they call The Cottage. Sometimes it's a slowly disintegrating cabin in the middle of frickin' B.F.E., where you go to get drunk and THEN shoot at deer. Other times, it's a Lake Michigan beach house that sleeps 22 and has its own marina. Ya jes never know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually in the UP we call them "camps", the good ones are on THE big lake and have saunas.

and don't forget john, we are the only state that carries it's own map around at the end of our arm (and if you hold your other hand right, it can become the UP)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by holly71
    Grenade = fat chick?

Just wondering...
    Grenade = secondary target, along for the ride.

Example: Girl A brings Girl B along to a date, and Guy A brings Guy B along to the date. If Girl A and Guy A hit it off, then it's the job of Guy B to "jump on the grenade" and accompany Girl B, no matter how bad the chemistry may be.

Fade to black
    yes, Phat liked to use the term "fat" but to me it could imply any girl that friend's girl brought along where there is no chemistry. I'm sure girls have the same problem.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

"How we'll know you weren't bon heah:

You wear a Harvard sweatshirt
    You cross at a crosswalk
    You ask directions to "Cheers"
    You order a grinder and a soda
    You pronounce it "Worchester"
    You walk the Freedom Trail
    You call it Copely Square
    You go to BU

----
    Phat ~~ love this thread!

John ~~ funny site

The above is too true.

No one that lives here ever crosses in a crosswalk! Hell no! I dare ya
    hit me and I'll sue with my bahstan loya!
    haha
    And it's woooosta
    copley plazaaaaa!!!argh!
    I love BU!
    I have never known anyone from here that goes there though!
    I used to party there all the time (sigh) those were the days...
    NO ONE WALKS THE FREEDOM TRAIL LMAO

-
    finally.
    coke is not a drink here. It's a bad bad drug!

pop is when ya wack someone upside the head

and soda - it's that crap you mix drinks with soda wata

it's called TONIC.

JR -- if you see this.....hey neighbor! Sommervile (sp)?
    I went to a nursing home when I was a nursing student way back.
    drove down the wrong streets almost got killed several times!
    I hate driving through there to this day!
    _fun hangouts though_!

p.s
    spent a lot of time in North Carolina. Everyone thought I was from N.Y
    and I never, ever want to recite park the car in harvard yard again!
    and I LOVE hearing "yall"
    I say it every now and then and smile from some good memories there.

AND I FREAKING LOVE THAT MOVIE FARGO!
    that
    is a stopper movie!!!
    love it!

So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Originally posted by Ilikai
    In New Zealand you don't go for take-out, its take-away. and auto repair shops are called Panel Beaters. A drug store is called Chemists.
    Huh. In England, it's also "take-away" and "chemists". I'd be interested in hearing from the Ozzies (Australians) on this one. Anyone?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

John, holly and hazy:

John and hazy have better examples than I do.

I was wrong to be so brutal about "fat chicks." Some (most, in fact) of the girls I've gone for are not your stereotypical stick-figures.

They've been great, and I don't really care all that much about a girl's weight, so long as she's not so huge that it affects her health (or my ability to sit in a car with her).

"Grenades" (aka "secondary targets") are indeed people with whom I have nothing in common or no vested interest, simply doing a friend a favor. (Like the WWII soldier who falls on a grenade and smothers it, killing himself, but saving the lives of those in his brigade, ergo, "jumping on the grenade.")

I've jumped grenades who were plump and jumped grenades who were skinny. The one thing they all had in common was their lack of humor (ie didn't laugh at my jokes ) and the fact I found them duller than watching grass grow.
    Last edited by phat32; 03-30-2003 at 12:36 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

We had my mother's cousin come over from America for a few days to stay with us in Cheshire, UK. She was fascinated about how we call TV , "telly". I thought that it was pretty normal.
    Some words are pronounced differently such as vitamins & leisure.

+ Reply to Thread