+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Well, I've never been to that side of the pond, all my knowledge comes from "Coronation Street".
    Coronation Street is not real life. LOL
    Personally I hate the programme. Streets like that are being redeveloped all over the UK.

I always find it quite strange when Americans say they are in "school" when they mean university. Also the term "uni" is now more common here. I reckon it comes from the influence of Aussie soaps like Neighbours.

Don't tell me you would rather watch "Neighbors" than "Corrie"!

ETA: I'm at post 1,300! Again! :rolleyes
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Yeah, I've really got into it again after not watching it for years. Just can't stand Corrie, never could. Eastenders is my favourite though, never miss it.

We used to get "EastEnders" here in Canada, but they took it off a few years ago.
    We also used to get "Neighbours" and "Home & Away" from Australia - both also gone now. Great way to pick up lingo.

I say things to my nephews like "On your bike, Sunshine" or "Get stuffed you little toe-rag" and they just look at me like I have 3 heads.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    and they just look at me like I have 3 heads.
    some jokes just write themselves.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    In the Uk, Ireland and Australia we have mobile phones. I know Americans have cell phones. What do you have where you live?
    Where my wife is from (asia) they call them 'handphones'

I have a bunch:
    What to some is a 'Meatball Hero' (sandwich) is a 'Meatball Sub'.
    I've Heard the following terms used for the terlet (sorry, brooklynese showing)
    Toilet, Washroom, Lavatory, Bathroom, Head (on ships), and my favorite, the Loo.

I remember I was in an office where there was a Key for the bathroom door, my Boss (an odd Swede) would go to me and say, 'here's the Loo Key, Looky looky'

I've never heard anyone call softdrinks a 'coke', but really its quite confusing.

In the east a soda is a softdrink. out west, its a pop.
    out west a soda is what NYers call a seltzer (or club soda).

then theres napkins. don't blame the british for funny looks, as Napkins are the name they use for 'diapers'. they use the term 'serviette'.

Then there is the term 'fag' which in England is a cigarette.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I have a bunch:
    What to some is a 'Meatball Hero' (sandwich) is a 'Meatball Sub'.
    I've Heard the following terms used for the terlet (sorry, brooklynese showing)
    Toilet, Washroom, Lavatory, Bathroom, Head (on ships), and my favorite, the Loo.
    And I've heard it used as"restroom".

Hi QBoots, the word apartment is now much more common than flat, it's a posher word than flat. Apartments are becoming much more common. In urban areas developers buy an older house with a bit of land and build an apartment development on it.
    My Mum always told us as children that we were "bold", meaning bad not brave.
    And motorways are our equivalent to freeways.
    Back in New York, we have the Long Island Expressway, the Grand Central Parkway, the NY Thruway, the West Side Highway. Here on the west coast, they are all freeways.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I always find it quite strange when Americans say they are in "school" when they mean university. Also the term "uni" is now more common here. I reckon it comes from the influence of Aussie soaps like Neighbours.
    Thats a little different. My wife talks about Elementary school, College (for her A Levels) and then Uni.

Here, there's Primary, Secondary, and Highschool, followed by Collegiate schools.

and the college may be called College (Columbia), University (Harvard), Institute (Rensallear Polytechnic or Caltech) and offer the same degree.

+ Reply to Thread