+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    Excellent list except for one minor correction:
    (Can.) Washroom = (U.S.) Bathroom = (U.K.) Loo.
    "Washroom" is more commonly used in Canada, "bathroom" is a close 2rd, and "John" is 3rd.

Considering the languages used on TV and at schools these days, I don't think it's at all offensive to say rubber's other meaning is "condom", something more people especially kids should consider using. It is one of the most effective means of preventing disease and unwanted pregnancy.
    I know there's nothing wrong with condom, I was being whimsical.

And your bathroom correction got me thinking: I actually call it a washroom if I'm in a public place, but in a house I call it a bathroom. Is that weird?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    And your bathroom correction got me thinking: I actually call it a washroom if I'm in a public place, but in a house I call it a bathroom. Is that weird?
    What about "restroom"? I thought this was nationwide, but you don't mention it....does that mean this term is another "Southern thing"?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Hi QBoots, the word apartment is now much more common than flat, it's a posher word than flat. Apartments are becoming much more common. In urban areas developers buy an older house with a bit of land and build an apartment development on it.
    My Mum always told us as children that we were "bold", meaning bad not brave.
    And motorways are our equivalent to freeways.

We also use flats intead of apartments.
    We don't have freeways or motorways but we have highways.
    Mobile phones in the car are mobile phones (go figure!)
    We don't have ketchup but we have tomato sauce.
    And I know in the UK, you have bangers and mash whereas we have sausages with mashed potato.
    I rather lurk than post.

I know lots of kids who have "red sauce" meaning ketchup or "brown sauce" as in the HP variety.

My Mom and Dad come up with some doozies...My Mom will say something like your father was spending money so much, his pocket thought his hand had gone mad.

My Dad will say "Give 'em the ole Liverpool kiss of Death"=Head butting someone.
    There are many more but I am just waking up so I will have to think on it.

A Glasgow Kiss is another term for headbutting!!

Don't know if anyone has added these:

"Over yonda" - Meaning over there.

"reckon" - Meaning, I guess so! (ex. Are you going to the football game? Well, I reckon I will")

"cut" - Like "Cut the light off"

I hear alot of people say they are "going to the house" instead of going home. Also, when we are teaching a child, dog, cat not to do something we say "ank" (not sure on the spelling)!
    Aunt Sheila

"When you have been racing as long as I have, your butt tells you how fast you are going." Jeff Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Hi QBoots, the word apartment is now much more common than flat, it's a posher word than flat.
    Well, I've never been to that side of the pond, all my knowledge comes from "Coronation Street".
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    What about "restroom"? I thought this was nationwide, but you don't mention it....does that mean this term is another "Southern thing"?
    "Restroom" is occassionally used in Canada (an independent nation), but not as common as "washroom" or "bathroom". Moreover, sometimes "restroom" could be misunderstood as referring to the lounge or resting area.

I know "washroom" is a Canadian thing because when I travel in the US, even in the border states, some people are puzzled when I asked for it.
    Last edited by Bill747; 05-03-2004 at 04:05 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

+ Reply to Thread