+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

I remember my grandmother saying "I'll swan!" meaning I guess, "I'll swoon?" instead of "I'll be danged" or something, and she also called a sofa a "setee", pronounced "set-tee".
    You also hear "slap" used in the same way as "plum" is around here - to mean totally or entirely. "I swear, they left that ole dawg tied to that oak tree till he went slap crazy".

I remember listening to a long story one day that I really don't remember in its entirety, but the teller was a big stapping, redneck country boy. Everyone else listening were native , rural, Georgians too; it's just that this cat was EXTRA-REDNECK!

He kept carrying on and on about how someone had taken his parasol, and he finally figured out who had his parasol, and if he didn't get it back right away, he and his brother were going to kick someones ass, and by God he was going to get his parasol back, yackityyackyack,etc.
    Everyone who was listening to this was cracking up, and finally someone said,
    "Curtis,what's a big ole boy like you doing getting so upset over an umbrella?"
    And Curtis had to say it about five times before anyone understood...
    "Who said anything about an umbrella? I'm talking about my POWER SAW!" (Had I better add that when a good 'ol boy says "power saw", he usually means a portable circular saw?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

qb, you've made my morning!

"Two shakes of a lamb's tail" - in just a minute. For example, "I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail."
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Cell or Mobile?

In the Uk, Ireland and Australia we have mobile phones. I know Americans have cell phones. What do you have where you live?

A cell phone is a handheld phone you can put in your pocket/purse/whatever. A mobile phone is one that's mounted in your car. At least in the US.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey
    "Two shakes of a lamb's tail" - in just a minute. For example, "I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

Well, I have never shaken a lamb's tail two times, but thanks for the visual.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by John
    A cell phone is a handheld phone you can put in your pocket/purse/whatever. A mobile phone is one that's mounted in your car. At least in the US.
    And in the Uk a purse is what you put your money, credit cards in.

US Purse = UK handbag

One I remember from my childhood. If someone just got on your last nerve, you'd "rather be nibbled to death by ducks" than to have to spend time with them.

I had to laugh when Belfastgirl posted a list where peeler = policeman. Where I'm from, peeler = exotic dancer. (Stripper.)
    Some others:
    (Can.) Bathroom = Loo (U.K.)
    (Can.) Garbage can = Dustbin (U.K.)
    (Can.) Broom = Brush (U.K.)
    (Can.) Store = Shop (U.K.)
    (Can.) Weirdo = Nutter (U.K.)
    (Can.) Girl = Bird (U.K.)
    (Can.) Terrific = Brilliant (U.K.)
    (Can.) Apartment = Flat (U.K.)
    (Can.) Bold = Cheeky (U.K.) - Bill Wyman once called my brother "cheeky".
    And if somebody has disappeared, or run off, in Britain they'll say he's "shot through" or "done a runner".

In the U.S. you seem to have freeways. In Canada we just have highways.

And are there places in the U.S. where a pizza is referred to as a "pie"? If I said "Let's go get a pie", my friends would think I meant apple, blueberry, etc.

I remember as a kid we would wear "rubbers" when it rained. Meaning rubber boots. Rubber could also mean the eraser on the end of your pencil. And when playing cards, if each person has won an equal number of hands, we'd play a "rubber". (Tie-breaker) Or you can "burn rubber" if you accelerate your vehicle too quickly. And then there's that other meaning for rubber. Which I shall avoid, this being a PG site.

It always bugs me when someone says "it fell on the ground" when they're discussing an indoor occurence. The "ground" is outside. If you're inside, then it fell on the floor.

And I think the term "hot dog" to some people means a weiner/bun combo, but to others is just the weiner. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Qboots; 05-01-2004 at 09:27 AM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    (Can.) Bathroom = Loo (U.K.)
    ... there's that other meaning for rubber. Which I shall avoid, this being a PG site.
    Excellent list except for one minor correction:
    (Can.) Washroom = (U.S.) Bathroom = (U.K.) Loo.
    "Washroom" is more commonly used in Canada, "bathroom" is a close 2rd, and "John" is 3rd.

Considering the languages used on TV and at schools these days, I don't think it's at all offensive to say rubber's other meaning is "condom", something more people especially kids should consider using. It is one of the most effective means of preventing disease and unwanted pregnancy.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

+ Reply to Thread