+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Yeah Scarlett, I think they may be related.
    Chicken fried steak is very common in the South, but I am turned off when they put that yucky gravy that looks like paste on the steak.
    Mudah, in Georgia we call the floured - and- cubed steak "country fried steak" (if'n we call it anything besides 'cube steak') and 'chicken fried steak' is something invented in Texas that's dipped in a milk and egg mixture before it's fried, so it has more of a batter type coating than the other kind.
    I do agree though, when you make the white gravy you shouldn't overcook it like that; yuck! It should be a liquid, not so thick.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

OTS, the prase "Bless her heart" usually precedes a cut down, have you noticed? "Bless her heart, if she gains any more weight she's gonna have to turn side ways to get through that door." "Bless his heart, you could put his brain in a thimble and still have room for your finger." "Bless her heart, when she walks you can almost smell flesh burn them thighs are so big."
    qb, I can't think of anything more disgusting than when the battered crust falls off and that piece of grey meat is flopped there on the plate.

"Bless her heart, when she walks you can almost smell flesh burn them thighs are so big."

qb, I can't think of anything more disgusting than when the battered crust falls off and that piece of grey meat is flopped there on the plate.
    Thanks for the heads up, you guys...now I know what NEVER to order if I ever go to the South.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

jane, just stick with the barbecue. I doubt that you could go wrong. I like almost any food, but have to draw the line at that steak. Maybe I just never had it cooked right. I eat very little meat so prefer to eat something I really like, maybe a ribeye?

Things I have learned from my husband's family:

Y'uns = Y'all (I think it's a contraction of some sort for you ones)
    Half in two - Usage - "I just cut that board half in two."
    Gulley Worsher - A storm when it rains really hard.
    Devinette - Couch
    And the days of the week are pronounced Sundie, Mondie, Tuesdie, etc.

Something I've recently been told by some friends from England on a Yahoo group is that the word fanny over there means the female genitalia. And a cigarette is a fag.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Mr. Chrelsey always makes fun of the sayings that come second nature to me because I grew up hearing them! The funniest one for him is "What in the name of cat hair?" It means "What the heck?" My mom would always say, "What in the name of cat hair were you thinking when you did XXX?" or "What in the name of cat hair made you do that?" I thought everyone said that phrase . . . but I've been laughed at more times than I care to remember!

A couple of sayings that translate to "I'll take care of it quickly" are "I'll be all over that like stink on a skunk!" or, "I'll be all over that like a tick on a bloodhound!"

Yes . . . I grew up in Texas!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

OTS, the prase "Bless her heart" usually precedes a cut down, have you noticed? "Bless her heart, if she gains any more weight she's gonna have to turn side ways to get through that door." "Bless his heart, you could put his brain in a thimble and still have room for your finger." "Bless her heart, when she walks you can almost smell flesh burn them thighs are so big."
    Those are some good'uns, Muduh. And what is funny is the tone of voice usually used with those comments. Just as sweet as pie.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

VeeJay, your hard rain can also be a "Frog Strangler" Real heavy on the aaannggg. You drag that out as long as possible.
    Oh yeah, OTS, a syrupy voice is imperative. Gotta let it be known how badly you feel for the "poor soul." My MIL can cut anyone to pieces with the most benevolent smile on her face. Of course the victim is no where to be seen. (As in, behind her back)

Veejay its true about fanny and fag, although in my part of the world its a "feg." Just reminded me that you will never here anyone in the UK called Randy. Has a very sexual connotation here as I'm sure you know!!

FORT Fogey
    VeeJay, your hard rain can also be a "Frog Strangler" Real heavy on the aaannggg. You drag that out as long as possible.
    Oh yeah, OTS, a syrupy voice is imperative. Gotta let it be known how badly you feel for the "poor soul." My MIL can cut anyone to pieces with the most benevolent smile on her face. Of course the victim is no where to be seen. (As in, behind her back)
    My mother taught me how to tell people off with a sweet smile, never raising my voice, and never using foul language. They usually don't figure out what hit 'em until later. I always called it her "Julia Sugerbaker" act.

+ Reply to Thread