+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional Dialects/Odd Sayings

In Montana, barbeque means anything cooked on a grill. You barbeque hamburgers, steak, chicken, whatever. If you cook on the grill, you're having a barbeque.

When I moved to FloriDUH, I quickly learned that barbeque there is meat that is simmered in sauce, or meat that is simmered/braised/smoked or what have you and then smothered in sauce. If you cook on the grill in FL, you're having a cookout.

ugh I used to hate when my mother made this....who said a "meat filled pie" was ok to feed people
    omg! you're kidding right?? French Canadians have something similar called tourtiere... meat pie. I look forward to it every Christmas.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Newspapers
    LOONIE TUMBLES NEARLY 2/3 CENT AS GREENBACK RISES.

(From Canadian Press Apr. 20, 2004)

The loonie was weak all day but losses increased as the greenback strengthened after markets interpreted comments by U.S. Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan as suggesting interest rates are on the way up.

The Canadian dollar tumbled almost two-thirds of a U.S. cent today to its first close below the 73-cent (U.S.) level since September.

It fell 0.64 of a cent to 73.70 cents -(U.S.) with the culprit being a stronger American dollar....
    Vistors from oversea are often puzzled by the headline and first paragraph. Visitors from south of the border are often confused by the first part of the headline and paragraph.

It's interesting how a new term can become entrenched in society in less than 20 years.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

My grandma is from Virginia and when I lived with her,she always called the toilet 'a stool'.

For example,she would say..'Corey,go and clean the stool when you finish your homework'..weird,huh?

Also,on the east coast they call them 'tennis shoes',in the midwest they call them 'gym shoes or sneakers'

And my all time favorite is of course the east coast calls it 'soda' and in the midwest it is called 'pop' ( I still say soda even though I lived here for several years! I just can't bring myself to say pop)

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinswede
    Weed???? WTH? Bama....what did you think about me all this time?
    giggle....the trip to Sweden story didnt even send off any tiny bells or whistles

You may not have noticed but I usually don't get the 'tiny bells and whistles'.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    omg! you're kidding right?? French Canadians have something similar called tourtiere... meat pie. I look forward to it every Christmas.
    I had my first one last year when we visited Mackinaw City. We're going back in July, can't wait for more pasties.
    A story I remember my older sisters telling was about a neighbor lady why was very "countrified". She told one of her kids to "go heist a winder while I put a clean hippen on this young'un" That translates to, Go raise a window while I put a clean diaper on this baby.

Just read on another site that Americans don't know what a fortnight is. (it's 2 weeks) Is that right?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I love meat pies, they are quite popular in Australia. It's practically tradition when you are at a football game to have a few beers and a meat pie (I prefer mine with tomato sauce).

Pasties are different to meat pies here. A pasty more usually contains vegetables wrapped in a pastry as opposed to the traditional pie shape.

Jen
    Last edited by Jensta; 04-26-2004 at 07:48 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Finally read the whole thread here--had to at the pop/Coke debate. I had that with my Midwestern friend just last week. It is so very true. I was trying to explain that when you ask for a Coke, you can't be assured you will actually get a Coke. You could very well get Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer--who knows? So yes, you do have to ask "what kind" of Coke you are being offered.

Oh, I am also guilty, guilty, guilty of using "fixin." I also use "reckon" a lot. ("Are you ready to go?" "I reckon.") I do the whole, "honey, baby, sugar" thing too--I tend to call most people "hon." The phrase that I find myself saying and always hate as soon as I say it is "There it goes." Now, I am a college student, I have a fairly good academic register, I am fairly intelligent, but this one slips out all the time. If I'm looking for something, I'll say, "Oh, now where did I put my book? OH, wait, there it goes." :rolleyes

My Grandmother is a dialect gold mine. She says words like "plum" and "idee" and "swony (sp?)." ("I swony I plum had no idee that he was fixin to go over yonder. I reckon I'll bring him a Coke.")

I don't think my accent is all that bad, though, but it does get worse when I am around someone with a more pronounced accent. And I do tend to lay it on thick sometimes just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    Finally read the whole thread here--had to at the pop/Coke debate. I had that with my Midwestern friend just last week. It is so very true. I was trying to explain that when you ask for a Coke, you can't be assured you will actually get a Coke. You could very well get Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer--who knows? So yes, you do have to ask "what kind" of Coke you are being offered.

Oh, I am also guilty, guilty, guilty of using "fixin." I also use "reckon" a lot. ("Are you ready to go?" "I reckon.") I do the whole, "honey, baby, sugar" thing too--I tend to call most people "hon." The phrase that I find myself saying and always hate as soon as I say it is "There it goes." Now, I am a college student, I have a fairly good academic register, I am fairly intelligent, but this one slips out all the time. If I'm looking for something, I'll say, "Oh, now where did I put my book? OH, wait, there it goes." :rolleyes

My Grandmother is a dialect gold mine. She says words like "plum" and "idee" and "swony (sp?)." ("I swony I plum had no idee that he was fixin to go over yonder. I reckon I'll bring him a Coke.")

I don't think my accent is all that bad, though, but it does get worse when I am around someone with a more pronounced accent. And I do tend to lay it on thick sometimes just for fun.
    From that "Grandmother" paragraph, I'm wondering if you could be my husbands long lost cousin.

+ Reply to Thread