+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Morning with the Telemarketer

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I tell them I am going through a bankruptsy and would be glad to put their card on it also. that usually works.

FORT Fogey

Say my name, say my name

posted by cali
    What I get instead is one of the worst butcherings of my name I have ever heard.
    You have amalgamated so many of my experiences with telemarketers and have emerged victorious! Good for you.

I often get the telemarketers that butcher my name or have a mouthful of Doritos (at least that's what it sounds like) when I unwittingly answer my phone and let them into my life. Then there are the telemarketers that are engaged in witty repartee with their neighbors in other cubicles (I saw the film "Girl 6") and when I say "hello" I can still hear background conversations going on. CLICK is my method.

Depending upon my mood or the demeanor of the person at the other end, I listen politely and at the first pause I say, "I do not answer questions nor do I respond to ANY telephone solicitations." That has worked for me so far.

I always say "I'm not interested, but thank you." They usually keep talking, so I hang up.

I try to wait for a pause, but if they won't offer one in the first 4-5 seconds, I'll just talk over them.

Re: Say my name, say my name

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    "I do not answer questions nor do I respond to ANY telephone solicitations." That has worked for me so far.
    Me, too, CG. If I don't get the chance to hang up on 'em first because of The Pause, I tell them we don't accept phone solicitations and hang up, in the middle of their sentence if need be, though that's pretty rare.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I might se all of the new ways.

JoeGuy... I think I'll try yours first
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    I love to tell them I would love to buy what they are selling and when they ask for my info I say I am unemployed...

JR.
    I only pick up the phone if I recognize the name or number.

Before Caller ID, I'd turn them into obscene phone calls: So, what are you wearing...do you like to get spanked? They hung up quickly.

Princess
    Excellent, Cali!
    JR...

Myself, what I REALLY hate is when they start with "Hi how have you been?". Grrrrr!!!

telemarketers- Ugh, i can never get rid of them and it takes me 5 minutes to say "Sorry, I'm not interested" because thay ALWAYS interrupt. My Dad is really good at handling them, he turns the tables on them and says stuff like "Don't i know you from somewhere?" and "Didn't I go to school with you?" Then they automatically hang up.

Originally posted by phat32
    cali,

Good story, and you told it well.

Wow Phat, coming from you that is one hell of a compliment

After she called I started thinking of the lady and the tiger story, so you inspired me to write it!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast