+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you travel for work?

Do you travel for work?

Do any of you travel regularly for your job?

Any tips to share?

My husband Travels... I have tips for your wife

Unless you count putting several 100 miles on your car each week but never leaving a 30 mile radius, traveling for work, I don't
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LG.
    If you fly a lot for work and your local airport has an airline "club" for the predominant airline (like Northwest for MSP and Detriot), get a membership to the airline club. Then you have someplace to check your email and get a bagel when you're stuck waiting at the airport.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Sleeping with George W
    I travel between Dallas and New York City quite a bit.

One of the best things I've learned is that (at least on American Airlines) you can check into your flight from ANY gate. Most of the time the lines for the gate check-ins for Dallas flights at LaGuardia are horrendous, so I look for another, less crowded gate and get in that line instead.

Also, never be afraid to fly stand-by. If you arrive at the airport much earlier than planned, you can usually hop on an earlier flight home.

LG, those airline clubs are like $650 per year, though. Are they really worth the expense?

Also, my local airport is not a hub of any sort, so there are no clubs in it. It would only do me good through my connection.

LG.
    If it would only be for connections, John, not sure it would be worth it, but Mr. LG certainly gets his money worth as he catches up on email and work in the club and I can take Lil LG in the "cleaner" bathrooms in the clubs than the usually quite nasty public restrooms in the main terminal. They've got tvs and internet access, food and booze. It depends how much you travel, and like you said, if there isn't a club where you'd be leaving from you'd only get half the benefit (your return trip) or connections.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

1. If nothing else, keep your carry-on light. Your back will thank you later.

2. After a long day, relax in a hot bath in the privacy of your hotel room.

3. Treat yourself well. Try to eat three square meals a day, even if you're being run ragged. Make one of them a "good" meal--a steak if you're not a vegetarian, for example.

4. Get a good cell phone plan. Call the customer service department for your carrier and make sure you understand the details on roaming and what's considered "nights and weekends." Get the right plan, and calls home can be free at night. An extra ten dollars a month for the plan in the next tier will seem like a pittance compared to hundreds of dollars in long distance calls.

5. Do sign up for the frequent flier program and make use of it.

6. Get all the receipts.

7. Check out information on the city of your destination before departure. The Internet is a fantastic tool for this research.

8. Hertz has a wonderful GPS system in each of their rental cars. The "Never Lost" will guide you destination-to-destination, and also provide a "Yellow Pages."

9. Take the time to see a sight or two in the city of your destination. You'll regret it later if you don't. Even Podunk, Nebraska, may offer a surprisingly good art museum!

10. Check in under an assumed name. This will make it easier to flee the authorities if you wake up next to a dead hooker.

(Obviously, I'm kidding on that last one , but do take the first nine to heart. What I picked up after a painful straight four weeks on the road working 14 hour days, visiting four sites in as many weeks.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fanatic
    I, too think the airline clubs are worth it. You'll know what I mean during your first 4 hour delay at which you don't have to wedge yourself into a plastic chair. And LG's got a good point about the bathrooms. I like my club, because they always have soda, free alcohol, crackers, cheese, and fruit available. It's totally worth the bucks, especially now that we all have to get to the aiport practically the day before our flight.

Oh, and re: phat's advice, that lovely Hertz GPS can also sometimes track the movements of the car, so make sure your rental doesn't have one before you take it out of state like you are not supposed to (something I would NEVER, NEVER do of course).

Originally posted by Jill
    Oh, and re: phat's advice, that lovely Hertz GPS can also sometimes track the movements of the car, so make sure your rental doesn't have one before you take it out of state like you are not supposed to (something I would NEVER, NEVER do of course).
    ...Just further proves my point that it's all one big conspiracy.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I actually follow most of those items, phat, including #10

Before I go to a new place, I check out the company location where I'm going, then find a decent hotel close by, and then do some research on the town. Where are the libraries (in case I need emergency internet access), where are the decent restaurants, a decent bar, the mall, etc.

I try to print out as much as possible in a decent-looking format, including phone numbers in case I get lost, and take that with me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast