+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superstitions and where they come from

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Thanks Wynd! I never saw this thread the first time so I have merged them.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I'm half superstitious. Deep down I know it's silly, but in the back of my mind there's that little bit of doubt. When I was in the 4th grade there was a ladder set up on the playground on Friday the 13th and we all were running under it and laughing about how silly the whole thing was. Of course the ladder fell over and landed on me! So there are some things that I just don't do. I have a dread of Friday the 13th, but as luck would have it we're leaving on vacation this next one. I know it's silly, but I still get butterflies.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

FORT Newbie

Re: Where do superstitions come from?

hmmm, I don't get "Superstitions" to me they mean nothing, ezcept i have a lickey number and i cross my fingers, but if never works but i'm not trying to be mean to those of you who beleive in them, just im doing superstitions in school and im trying to figure em out
    Last edited by John; 04-13-2007 at 09:59 PM.

MRD

Re: Superstitions and where they come from

I got this from my mother: If a black cat crosses my path, I spit on my finger and make an X mark (usually on the windshield because I'm usually in the car).

I don't know if this is superstition or OCD, but I am so deathly scared of my house catching on fire or a loved one being in an accident, that when I see a fire truck, ambulance, or police car with siren and lights heading fast, I say a small prayer for the people they are going to and for the firefighters, policemen and EMT's. I have to say it right then or it totally freaks me out with worry.

I always leave a house by the same door I entered it. I don't know why, another one from my mother.

And here's one I know originates in the South and I don't know why, but I do it. I NEVER put a hat on the bed.

And if walking with someone and we both split up to go around a post or other object (one to each side of the post), I have to say: Bread and Butter. My mother was full of these wasn't she?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2331547;
    And here's one I know originates in the South and I don't know why, but I do it. I NEVER put a hat on the bed.
    WOW! I've never heard of that one before! My son and I would be up a creek because we're constantly throwing our hats on the bed.

When I pass a hearse on the road, I always make a X on the roof of the car...why do I do that? I don't know...just always have...someone must have told me that before for me to do it but I have no recollection of who and why they did it!

My ex husband always raised his feet off the floorboard of the car whenever we crossed a county or state line.

My current fella thumps on the roof of the car whenever he runs through a yellow light.

I love Friday the 13th, actually my favorite number is 13 and that's my son's jersey number in all the sports he plays, I love black cats (owned some before), but I don't open a umbrella inside a building!

I'm really more OCD than superstitious....
    Last edited by bbnbama; 04-15-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2331998;
    WOW! I've never heard of that one before! My son and I would be up a creek because we're constantly throwing our hats on the bed.

When I pass a hearse on the road, I always make a X on the roof of the car...why do I do that? I don't know...just always have...someone must have told me that before for me to do it but I have no recollection of who and why they did it!

My ex husband always raised his feet off the floorboard of the car whenever we crossed a county or state line.

My current fella thumps on the roof of the car whenever he runs through a yellow light.

I love Friday the 13th, actually my favorite number is 13 and that's my son's jersey number in all the sports he plays, I love black cats (owned some before), but I don't open a umbrella inside a building!

I'm really more OCD than superstitious....
    Oh, that reminds me, that when I was a kid, we'd lift our feet off the floor of the car when going through water or over a bridge. AND no talking, but hold your breath when you pass a cemetery. I do NOT know why for either one.

When I met my husband, we both smoked and several of our friends smoked. He would never light 3 people's cigerettes off the same match. But that one I do know the origin off. In one of the World Wars, if soldiers lit cigerettes, usually the 3rd person to get his light off the same match usually ended up getting shot as by that time, the enemy had been given enough time to be able to sight and shoot at the last or 3rd person.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-16-2007 at 07:53 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I NEVER put new shoes on a table or counter. Not sure why - I'm not generally superstitious otherwise

We had these little thing we'd do growing up. Whenever we went through a tunnel, we would clap. We would hold our breaths going over bridges. And we would lift our feet off the floor going over railroad tracks. Why? i really have no idea lol.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Oh yeah, another factoid about throwing salt over your shoulder. You're suppose to throw it over your left shoulder, because that's where the devil sits. Remember those cartoons? The devil sat on the left, and the angel on the right. The devil sat on your left should and whisper evil lil deeds to do in your ears.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2335028;
    I NEVER put new shoes on a table or counter. Not sure why - I'm not generally superstitious otherwise
    You shouldn't put keys on the table either. So I've heard. I do it but still think "isn't there anywhere else I can put them?"

And about shoes on the table, I don't put them there either, but I think that's more because shoes are generally dirty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12