+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Name-dropping

Ili, I'll try to be better.

I was never into racing, but I liked Dale. How very sad that was when he died
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I've met my favorite man, Clay Walker twice
    (I"m still on cloud 9 yeah...) I bought a Clay Walker jeans jacket and my dream was to have him sign it (this was after I ahd met him the first time).
    So last september he was out here doing a charity gig for a radio station, it was totally informal & the middle of the day so there were like 10 people there...woohoo ... I got my jacket signed.

Which reminds me, I still have to develop those pictures.

I met Trick Pony twice, I love them!
    And I met Neil Sedaka once. He was a sweetheart, the nicest guy!

Think that's about it, apart from some Norwegian celebrities who none of ya would know anyways lol, so Ill keep those to myself.
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

hm... this could prove quite embarrassing for this lemming.

i partied with the 80s glam rock band, warrant, a few times.

i met sinbad at a gas station by my house in college. he called me honey. ha! is he still considered a celebrity?

i beat down a pack of people and got troy aikman's autograph... didn't i, feif?

JR.
    Originally posted by shersidhe
    i partied with the 80s glam rock band, warrant, a few times.
    Hmm, define "partied" Sher

Originally posted by kuifje75
    Yes, I have met one before. Guess who?
    Starred in the following films:
    Independence Day
    Torch Song Trilogy
    Ms Doubtfire
    Harvey....whats his name..(Firestein?)

I love Harvey Firestein!!!!

Remember the SNL parody that Jon Lovitz used to do:

"I just wanna be loved. Is that so WRONG?"

I've met a couple of celebs that came thru my deli while they were doing filming here in town...Roy Scheider when he was doing SeaQuest at Universal and Henry Winkler when they were filming Waterboy here in Orlando. I've also waited on several of the Magic players since they train a couple of miles from my store, I never know who they are but normally one of the guys in the store comes up later like "oh man do you know who you just waited on???" Pro wrestler Billy Gunn was a regular of mine for several years and is an absolute sweetheart, he's got GORGEOUS children too!!

The last one I "met" was Jay Mohr when I was out in Vegas. It was pure coincidence that my mom was in a shop at the Paris hotel and I was outside the shop waiting with my friend when he walked by. My friend and I both did double takes and were like "was that??? yep thought so". My friend is trying to get up the nerve to go and talk to him and ask for a picture with him and my cell phone rings....cell reception sucked so I ended up in a little coffee shop where I could hear a little bit and Jay ends up there next to me laughing at me cause I was cursing up a storm trying to get reception. Bout the only thing I said was hello, but it was a brush with stardom atleast, and DAMN he was cute with the just rolled out of bed look!!

I apologize in advance if my response to this is lengthy, for a couple of reasons. For one, I live in LA, so having a lunch break from work and seeing Sara Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. ordering frosty drinks from the Coffee Bean is par for the course (yes, this really happened, and was really cool to see--I'm a big Buffy fan). You see celebrities everywhere, everywhere but if you are a native Los Angeleno the protocol is to pretend you don't notice and go up and get your latte nonchalantly, out of respect for their privacy, partly, but also because if you went up to them gushing you'd be instantly pegged as fresh-off-the-turnip-truck. (That doesn't always mean you can't talk to them--some are down-to-the earth, some are Sunset-Boulevard-crazy with the attitude, but they most often just want to live their lives as normally as possible)

Stars are behind you at the movie theater (Michelle Pfeiffer w/ David Kelley), next to you at the spa (Sarah McLachlan), shopping at the store with you (Jamie Lee Curtis, Tim Roth, Mimi Rogers-seperately, not en masse ), at your favorite pizza place (Julia Roberts), in line with you at the pharmacy (Gary Coleman!), attending your college graduation (Gwen Stefani) or cutting you off in traffic (Courteney Cox)*. In fact, they can be a downright nuisance! But believe me, everyone has great stories--one friend of mine was in line at the DMV with Chow Yun Fat, another saw Ozzie Osbourne in the elevator when she was leaving work! I myself can't list every one I've seen here for fear of exhausting all of you!

Secondly, if you or the people you know work in the "industry" as they call it here (and who doesn't in some way), you see and hear about celebs even more. My husband works in movies/TV, so to list every star he's worked with or has seen around town would be just be stupidly long, but here's a short list: Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Ralph Fiennes, Tobey Maguire, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Mark Walberg, Charlize Theron, Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Pamela Lee Anderson...I could go on all night, folks, but would you still be here?

*Yup, all these instances really happened to me. C'mon, this is the town where we went to Koo Koo Roo for lunch and saw Carrot Top for Pete's sake!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey

Help, I saw a celebrity, get me out of here!

You see celebrities everywhere, everywhere but if you are a native Los Angeleno the protocol is to pretend you don't notice and go up and get your latte nonchalantly, out of respect for their privacy, partly, but also because if you went up to them gushing you'd be instantly pegged as fresh-off-the-turnip-truck.
    That is so true. I have passed more famous people on the sidewalks of Brentwood, or seen them at local eateries and have tried to just remain 'cool' and let them get on with their lives.

I have seen Goldie Hawn shopping at a local (where I lived) dress boutique. Saw Dudley Moore (RIP) at a Beverly Hills theatre with his very tall wife. Anthony Hopkins, Walter Matthau, Chevy Chase and Billy Crystal all lived in my neighborhood. I nearly ran Martin Short over while making a left turn onto Sunset Blvd. and he was on his bike. Even then I pretended not to recognize him.

There are so many of them and only one of me, so why give them the time of day?

Re: I have a few brushes with fame

Originally posted by MollyRose
    John Cameron Mitchell was a good friend in high school (he's a Broadway, TV, movie actor who is most famous for writing, directing and starring in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". Got a Golden Globe nom for that last year.
    That's very cool, MollyRose. I just saw Hedwig on DVD recently and loved it! I watched the bonus feature on the genesis of Hedwig and have a lot of respect for all the work he did.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread