+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holiday weekend plans?

Re: Holiday weekend plans?

Some guy at work put a notice up on the board- Help wanted this weekend to move. Needed strong backs and a big truck. (no mention of paying anything either) I just think this is wild. My DH just told me he'll find somebody to help.

Here is something I AM NOT going to do. Have a big cookout and invite people over. I am sick unto death of moochers, pigs, being the cook and maid. So no more. I'm not cooking for people anymore. They just don't appreciate it and don't know/care how to be a good guest. maybe I need some new friends.

But we recently discovered Dexter. On episode 7 so we'll probably watch the rest of the season. Wow. Best show in a long time.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I feel for you livin. I wasn't able to have big family dinners or cookouts for 15 years. We lived so far from family and our group of friends just didn't do that kind of thing. Now that I live close enough I do 3 big get togethers a year and the getting ready just about kills me.

This weekend I'm have a family picnic and bonfire. I just need to clean, mow, get and put up the canopy, buy paper plates, drinks and make baked beans, also I need to go pickup the chicken the day of the picnic.

Thank the Lord that everyone is bringing a dish to pass but I know that Monday I'm going to be fried. Need I mention that Hubby wants to do some yard work as well? I look forward to Wed. when school starts so that I can rest.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

We'll be going back up to the lake, as some of my sisters and their families will be in for the weekend. One of my cousins and her family from NJ may be up as well, so it will be nice to see everyone.

Monday is my son's birthday, my oldest, so we will be celebrating that as well.

School starts on Thursday for my youngest......my vacation finally begins! She is 16 and has had quite the active social life all summer with sleepovers every few nights and I am still doing the mommy chaffeur thing when she and her friends wanted to go to the mall, etc.

I am looking forward to having the house once again quiet and the only one I have to take care of is the dog!

Oh yes, the days of mega parties and not getting any sleep because of preparing...I loved those times, but also love that we haven't done that in a while. There's nothing greater than being a good guest, bringing a dish and helping clean up. Then going home to a clean house.

You will all have a wonderful time, though.

This weekend the Mr. is off on his last backpacking trip of the summer, and I have my BFF staying several days to talk all night, swim in the pool and eat any damn thing we want. Aaaaaah.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey

Re: holiday weekend plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2548993;
    I'm having knee surgery Friday afternoon, so I get to spend the weekend on the couch, hopefully with some good drugs. Next Tuesday is my birthday but I think I'll have to put off doing any celebrating for a little while.
    I'll be thinking of Marleybone having surgery on Friday, hoping it goes by quickly and easily and that the drugs work well. If you're lucky you can start celebrating immediately after you get relief from your surgery.

My office always closes early on the Friday before a holiday (well, we haven't convinced them to do it for Arbor Day, Flag Day, or Evacuation Day yet but we're working on them). Luckily the weather in Boston's supposed to be fantastic from now through next week so I plan to be outside as much as possible.

On Friday I'm taking The Dog Pack to the last outdoor concert of the summer where we'll meet up with our usual gang of concert pals (human and dog) on blankets. I've missed a bunch of the concerts this year due to health stuff so we're looking forward to hitting the last one.

Over the weekend we'll be travelling to Maine and New Hampshire for the last road trip of the summer and somewhere in there I'll be visiting my parents, too.

Also, I start an online class this weekend and then it's study, study, study until December 1st.

Probably working.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Re: holiday weekend plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2551559;
    I'll be thinking of Marleybone having surgery on Friday, hoping it goes by quickly and easily and that the drugs work well. If you're lucky you can start celebrating immediately after you get relief from your surgery.

My office always closes early on the Friday before a holiday (well, we haven't convinced them to do it for Arbor Day, Flag Day, or Evacuation Day yet but we're working on them). Luckily the weather in Boston's supposed to be fantastic from now through next week so I plan to be outside as much as possible.

On Friday I'm taking The Dog Pack to the last outdoor concert of the summer where we'll meet up with our usual gang of concert pals (human and dog) on blankets. I've missed a bunch of the concerts this year due to health stuff so we're looking forward to hitting the last one.

Over the weekend we'll be travelling to Maine and New Hampshire for the last road trip of the summer and somewhere in there I'll be visiting my parents, too.

Also, I start an online class this weekend and then it's study, study, study until December 1st.

What is evactuation day? I thought that happened every Fri. afternoon at 4:59?

Livin, I used to know people like that and now I'm not shy about speaking up and asking for help. I do it in the nicest way possible, but I'll round up someone and say: "Hey, I need a hand in the kitchen, can you come in and help?" or "Hey, Joe, I need a big strong guy to take this trash out, can you grab it please?".
    For whatever reason, it usually works.

Now at my brother's, they NEVER want any help and I always feel like a total mooch. I try to help, no, they want me to sit and visit, no helping. I am squirming in my chair to do something. I hate being waited on. Well, let me rephrase that. I don't mind it, it can be nice, but it has gone on for so long like this at my brother's that I feel like I should be helping. Especially since I'm not shy about asking for help at my house.

My flight takes off in 7 hours. I was so excited I woke up at 4:30. I have tried to go back to sleep but just dozed to weird dreams about cake and cruise ships so finally just gave up and got up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD Cake and cruise ships huh? That is an odd combo.

Yanno, asking for help is something VERY hard for me to do. But it is something I could work on.

Catmom3 It is exhausting getting the house cleaned up and then cooking/entertaining.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Well, we just moved down to the Texas coast (5 miles from the bay, 15 miles from the actual ocean) a couple of months ago, and since we haven't really made any friends down here, we have some friends (along with their three boys and their dog) coming down from where we used to live for the long weekend!

These are the same friends who housesat for us when we went to the Virgin Islands about a month ago, and they said it was their best vacation ever . . . I told them they needed to get out more often if that was the case! Anyway, this time - since we'll be down here with them - we plan on taking them out on the fishing boat, and if the weather is good, out sailing as well. We are also planning a shrimp boil one day, and will invite Mr. C's family as well . . . there's nothing like a spicy shrimp boil with cold margaritas by the pool!!!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

chrelsey, I've noticed your avatar many times and wondered if that was your boat... I guess it is! If you don't mind my asking, what kind/size is it? My family have been avid sailors since I was a wee little baby. My dad says I took my first steps on the boat. When I was younger I ran the regattas at my local lake every weekend. My boat is small - 12ft Laser for racing/daysailing - and I love it! But for the relaxing weekends at the lake, the get-togethers with friends, the luxury of it, my parents' boat is the one. They have an older 48ft J/Boat that is perfect for the lakes around here. Yours looks much larger and newer, and like a TON of fun! I'm jealous!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast