+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nice Cities to live in?

Re: Nice Cities to live in?

I know the topic is American cities, but I'd like to throw in Toronto as a great place to live. Whenever I get aggravated and think about moving elsewhere (usually as I head into the heart of Bay Street for my dreaded 8.5 hours of cubicle imprisonment), I really think about it and determine that, no, Toronto is where I want to be. It does have it's drawbacks, primarily the city planners' habit of tearing down old buildings and putting up giant boxes, but they seem to have halted that silly practice. But I love, love, love the many thriving neighbourhoods of other cultures. I am personally in walking distance of an Indian, a Greek, a Chinese, a middle-eastern and a WASP neighbourhood, and a short streetcar ride away from an African, an Italian and a Portuguese neighbourhood. So we have great restaurants aplenty . Plus there is all the fancy cultural stuff that I don't indulge in, but am happy to know is there, including the shoe museum they showed on The Amazing Race.

Plus, we are only a five hour drive from Montreal, a fabulous city if ever there was one.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I only visited Toronto once, but I LOVED it. I can remember being told back then (early 90s) that Toronto was "New York City that works", and when you compared it to NYC at that time, it was SO true. It is certainly a city with A LOT to offer! Besides, I met Wayne Gretzky on that trip, so even if it wasn't a great city, that alone would have impressed me!

My kids have lived all over and it's so much fun to visit them...

Middle son moved from NYC last month back to San Francisco
    I loooooooved NYC...it was way too much fun to visit. Might want to live there short term.... but looking forward to visits to what we call "The City" (SF) Husband lived there and I always wanted to move to SF but never could afford the move.

Eldest son moved to Seattle in July....so beautiful. I have only been there once but it was magnificant....He moved from San Diego...perfect weather year round and a wonderful beach with lots of history and exciting things to do....will miss San Diego soooo much

Youngest son going to school (started today) in Sacramento....don't know the town well, yet, but his appartment is right on the American River, so that's kind of cool. Sac's centrally located to San Francisco, Tahoe, Reno so we'll be doing some loops to see both sons.

Our youngest daughter graduated in Fort Collins, Colorado. For a college town, it's really nice. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. Everyone has a mountain bike and hits the trails on the weekends...plus the views are beautiful.

Love visiting Miami Beach, but wouldn't really want to live there.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

MRD

[QUOTE=Vonna;2548237;]My kids have lived all over and it's so much fun to visit them...

Middle son moved from NYC last month back to San Francisco
    I loooooooved NYC...it was way too much fun to visit. Might want to live there short term.... but looking forward to visits to what we call "The City" (SF) Husband lived there and I always wanted to move to SF but never could afford the move.

Eldest son moved to Seattle in July....so beautiful. I have only been there once but it was magnificant....He moved from San Diego...perfect weather year round and a wonderful beach with lots of history and exciting things to do....will miss San Diego soooo much

Youngest son going to school (started today) in Sacramento....don't know the town well, yet, but his appartment is right on the American River, so that's kind of cool. Sac's centrally located to San Francisco, Tahoe, Reno so we'll be doing some loops to see both sons.

Our youngest daughter graduated in Fort Collins, Colorado. For a college town, it's really nice. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. Everyone has a mountain bike and hits the trails on the weekends...plus the views are beautiful.

Love visiting Miami Beach, but wouldn't really want to live there.[/QUOTE]

For someone who lived in Florida almost all her life, Miami was the one place I hated to go. I have never been fond of it. The traffic, the crowds, the people trying to show off. And I've found out it's a sentiment shared by a lot of Floridians.

But you travel anywhere in the world and say you are from Florida and the response is the same: "Miami Beach? Disney World?"
    I guess both (Orlando) are really tourist towns. There are many other places in Florida I'd rather visit. The Keys being number one. But Florida has its hidden gems too. The only ting good I can say about Miami is that they have the best Cuban food.

I LOVE San Francisco and would love to live there. Maybe in my next life. Hopefully by then, they have figured out a way to control earthquakes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2547824;
    Besides, I met Wayne Gretzky on that trip, so even if it wasn't a great city, that alone would have impressed me!
    That is so unfair. I've lived here off and on for 47 years and I've never met Wayne Gretzky. I do, however, frequent a chicken place near my house that Wayne's dad appears to have eaten at (his picture is on the wall). My one and only locally born & raised celebrity sighting was Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall) at a Stiff Little Fingers concert. Or maybe it was Social Distortion - can't remember. My memory has reached distinctly middle-aged status and it was a couple of years ago and both shows were in the same place.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2548561;
    That is so unfair. I've lived here off and on for 47 years and I've never met Wayne Gretzky. I do, however, frequent a chicken place near my house that Wayne's dad appears to have eaten at (his picture is on the wall). My one and only locally born & raised celebrity sighting was Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall) at a Stiff Little Fingers concert. Or maybe it was Social Distortion - can't remember. My memory has reached distinctly middle-aged status and it was a couple of years ago and both shows were in the same place.
    Maybe you just need to visit there instead of living there. The hotel was key. The Baltimore Orioles were leaving the hotel as we were checking in (walked right by Cal and Billy Ripken as we were going in - only I didn't recognize either or them, because I wasn't in an Orioles mindset at that moment). The guy behind the counter was telling my dad they'd just left, and my dad called me over and I expressed my dissapointment that I'd just missed them. So the guy behind the counter told me there was a hockey tournament going on that week, and most of the players, including Wayne, were staying at that hotel. So every morning after breakfast, I'd hang out in the lobby until my family was ready to head out for touring, hoping to see Wayne. The counter guy knew what I was doing and got a kick out of it. (I guess the pen and pad of paper in my had were a dead giveaway) One morning, the guy told me Wayne was checking out that day, so it was my last chance. My parents made me go up to the room that morning, and I was SO mad figuring I'd missed my chance for Wayne. We walked through the lobby heading out, and I glanced over and THERE HE WAS in line to check out!!!!! I grabbed the pen and paper from my mom, and my sister and I went over to get autorgraphs. He was super quiet and reserved, obviously hoping that being nice to us wouldn't bring attention to him and make it more than just signing two autographs. My dad asked if he could take a picture, which he did. And that was that. Without the hotel guy, I'd have nothing!

Interesting comments on Florida Vonna and MRD. I think that both your comments illustrate what I love the most about that state -- the HUGE diversity. You've got a completely different culture in Miami than you do up on the panhandle, and you've got a huge variety between the two. You can find everything in that state from those living the high big city life to military towns, agricultural areas, ordinary middle America, etc. And while the panhandle can't really claim four seasons, they've got at least 3, in great contrast from the southern part of the state where it's just always hot. It's kind of funny when you realize that mentally, most people assume that Florida is just a bunch of the same thing, but its truly anything but that.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2548580;
    Maybe you just need to visit there instead of living there. The hotel was key. The Baltimore Orioles were leaving the hotel as we were checking in (walked right by Cal and Billy Ripken as we were going in - only I didn't recognize either or them, because I wasn't in an Orioles mindset at that moment). The guy behind the counter was telling my dad they'd just left, and my dad called me over and I expressed my dissapointment that I'd just missed them. So the guy behind the counter told me there was a hockey tournament going on that week, and most of the players, including Wayne, were staying at that hotel. So every morning after breakfast, I'd hang out in the lobby until my family was ready to head out for touring, hoping to see Wayne. The counter guy knew what I was doing and got a kick out of it. (I guess the pen and pad of paper in my had were a dead giveaway) One morning, the guy told me Wayne was checking out that day, so it was my last chance. My parents made me go up to the room that morning, and I was SO mad figuring I'd missed my chance for Wayne. We walked through the lobby heading out, and I glanced over and THERE HE WAS in line to check out!!!!! I grabbed the pen and paper from my mom, and my sister and I went over to get autorgraphs. He was super quiet and reserved, obviously hoping that being nice to us wouldn't bring attention to him and make it more than just signing two autographs. My dad asked if he could take a picture, which he did. And that was that. Without the hotel guy, I'd have nothing!

Interesting comments on Florida Vonna and MRD. I think that both your comments illustrate what I love the most about that state -- the HUGE diversity. You've got a completely different culture in Miami than you do up on the panhandle, and you've got a huge variety between the two. You can find everything in that state from those living the high big city life to military towns, agricultural areas, ordinary middle America, etc. And while the panhandle can't really claim four seasons, they've got at least 3, in great contrast from the southern part of the state where it's just always hot. It's kind of funny when you realize that mentally, most people assume that Florida is just a bunch of the same thing, but its truly anything but that.
    You are SO right about the diversity of Florida, but its getting less and less diverse everyday. The small little agricultural town I grew up in (distinctly Southern in nature as compared to South Florida) has changed and is becoming less agricultaral and more touristy and also a place for communters to bigger cities to live.
    You know the father south you go in Florida, the more North you get and the father north you go, the farther South you get.

But you go from beaches to pine woods, swamps, huge cities, diverse cultures (I'm not even sure Miami is considered part of the US anymore, really. ). We had a huge Russian/Ukraine population where we moved from, so there's a lot of really interesting places. There is one town near Daytona that was founded and lived in by pyschics. Still touted as a psychic town. Cassedega is the name of it.

Anyway, Florida has a lot to offer for varying tastes. Horse farms, tourist attractions, beaches, hunting, fishing, etc.

I'm just glad I don't live there anymore. It's sad to see what my area of the state has become. It's not all that diverse. Same old subdivisions and cookie cutter houses and stip malls and chain resturants. The local flavor and character has been stripped out of it. Such a shame.

I once met pro football player Deacon Jones at a hotel in Tampa. He and other pro players were filming a movie there about vikings. Steve Majors was also staying there, but we never saw him. The movie tanked, but it was cool to get Deacon Jones' autograph. This was in the early to mid 70's.
    I also once rode in an elevator with the comedian Gallagher in a hotel. So I guess if you hang out in enough hotels you can meet celebrities.

Oh and I stood in line in a bank in Athens, Greece behind just resigned VP Spiro Agnew. We were both changing money. This was also in a hotel. And I've met Senator Chris Dodd. But never really anyone HUGE. (Well Deacon was huge size wise, but not any major huge name celebrities)

My only claim to fame and only 2 famous people I've met. Well, my mother was friends with Pat Carroll (voice of Ursula in the little mermaid among other older movie roles). She was a scream. I only was around her a few times, but talk about funny. I remember one hilarious shopping trip with her and my mom and the salesclerk recognized her and said: "aren't you Carol Channing". Pat put on a huge Carol Channing smile and in her best imitation of Carol said: "why yes, I am". I thought I would just about die laughing.

I have "seen" a few other minor celebrities and once ate just a few tables from Eddie Money, but I'm always reluctant to intrude. Didn't stop me from staring though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2547807;
    Plus, we are only a five hour drive from Montreal, a fabulous city if ever there was one.
    Can't argue with you on that! Montreal is my favorite city to live in and, wouldn't you know it, that is where I live.

I love Montreal as well DR. Also, Ottawa is a beautiful city and the Tulip Festival is awesome. Love skating along the Rideau Canal, and eating a Beavertail etc. I grew up in Vancouver, and ignoring the horrible traffic, I love the fact you can go skiing in the morning, and hit the beach in the afternoon. If the real estate prices weren't so crazy I would move back in a heartbeat.

Canuck, I'd love to visit Vancouver. It seems gorgeous. As for Ottawa, it is a beautiful city, but I lived there for 3 months and could not wait to leave. I did not feel at home there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast