+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nice Cities to live in?

Re: Nice Cities to live in?

Dallas, TX is a great place not only to have fun, but raise a family as well. It's a pretty diverse city (what city isn't?) and there's lots to do.

Consider D-town!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I love visiting Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio! All three cities have a wonderful night-life, excellent dining oportunities, great shopping, and plenty of family-friendly places to go and things to do.

I've lived in Oklahoma City for going on 15 years now, and we visit Texas often. If I had to move out of state, it wouldn't be a tough decision for me: Texas would be one of my top choices. Although I'm not looking to move anytime real soon... I like my town and we've really had a lot of growth/improvement to the area recently, so it's "up and coming"...

I've also loved Memphis every time I visit there. The parts I've been to are so pretty and Beale Street is amazing. I wouldn't mind living there, either.

MRD

Veruka, its a date. Let's get Queenb and go get some fries, onion rings and other goodies.

RG-Memphis is on my list of places to go. I want to go eat BBQ, hear good blues and see Graceland.

Ya know, maybe someone should start a BBQ tour of the US. I bet you could get lots of great groups together to go taste BBQ in varous places.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

My parents both grew up in Memphis, and I have lots of family that used to live in Memphis ... very few who still do. I think that for tourists, Memphis has a lot to offer. (the places mentioend already, plus Mud Island and some others). But based on what the famiy I have who still do live there have said, I'm not sure I'd ever want to live there now. I get the impression that in many ways, Memphis is very much like Cleveland is these days -- A place who economically has seen better days, and where city leaders didn't come up with a new plan quickly enough when their key industries started to die.

MRD

Alton Brown from the Food Network was just in Memphis and he ate at a Soul Food restaurant that I am now ready to pack up and head to Memphis to eat at. That and some BBQ. Man, I had just eaten dinner and was drooling over what he was eating.

Veruka, unfortunately a lot of places are like that. SC has been hit hard by losing the textile industry. Greenville has rebounded rather well attracting other industries, but outside of Greenville, in some of the smaller areas, they are suffering from the loss of the mills.

This also happened in my hometown when the state mental hospital closed down. But a group of merchants got together, formed the "Main Street Committee" and have revived the downtown with antique shops, restaurants and bed and breakfasts. I just read that it was voted the Friendliest town in Florida this month and one of the B&B's got voted best small town B&B in Florida. That said, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. GREAT place to grow up, but its not the same anymore. It's got some nice qualities, but all in all, I'm really glad we live here now.

I know Houston gets a bad rap from most people, but I'm a big H-town fan. I love living here. The traffic is terrible (see recent news stories) but once you learn to be patient and ditch your suv, you're good. I love that the cost of living is so cheap. I love the sprawl because I feel like I'm in a small town when I go home, but a big town when I want to go downtown to the symphony or a sporting event or something like that. I love the people, the weather, the diversity. I love that I can get really good dim sum one night, and then the best mexican food at a little taqueria the next. My only beef with Houston is all of the strip malls. They keep building them when the ones that are already built aren't filled. It's annoying and ugly and useless. I think they should pass a law that only so many strip malls can be within so many square miles of each other. It's ridiculous.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

We're going to visit Memphis next April with my better-half's parents from California. His mom wants to go to Graceland. I've been to Memphis (loved the food and Mud Island) but not Graceland. We're looking forward to it!

MRD We've been to Chattanooga several times in the last few years and are planning a trip this fall (the Aquarium has penguins now and I must see them). We always stay at the Choo-Choo in one of the train cars that have been made into "rooms". It's a lot of fun. Last time we went, our car/room was right next to the "Pizza Car". Everything we had with us smelled like pizza for a few days. We're also planning to go back to Charleston (we were just there in June - that's when we got stuck in the Atlanta traffic) in January for my Great-Aunt's 90th birthday. We will probably go via Savannah this time because the better-half hasn't ever been there.

Burntbrat I was born in Houston and have fond memories of it. It's been a long time since I visited but Houston does not get a bad rap from me!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2539395;
    If Queenb is busy, I'll pick you up. It's going to be my hometown shortly.
    Ok...one hen party, coming up!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2540659;
    I know Houston gets a bad rap from most people, but I'm a big H-town fan. I love living here. The traffic is terrible (see recent news stories) but once you learn to be patient and ditch your suv, you're good. I love that the cost of living is so cheap. I love the sprawl because I feel like I'm in a small town when I go home, but a big town when I want to go downtown to the symphony or a sporting event or something like that. I love the people, the weather, the diversity. I love that I can get really good dim sum one night, and then the best mexican food at a little taqueria the next. My only beef with Houston is all of the strip malls. They keep building them when the ones that are already built aren't filled. It's annoying and ugly and useless. I think they should pass a law that only so many strip malls can be within so many square miles of each other. It's ridiculous.
    I once spent a very long couple of hours driving in a loop around Houston trying to get OFF the interstate. Missed my exit, but couldn't get anyone to let me over to get off at ANY exit. I was a nervous wreck before it was all over. And this was back in the days when traffic wasn't the problem for me that it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2536485;
    I also lived in Detroit. I don't miss it (no offense to anyone there.)

ugh, none taken!
    after living in detroit suburbs my whole life, I've finally managed to move out towards the Toledo, Ohio area...which isn't great either, but its better than the traffic and smells of Detroit.
    Although I do have to say, Detroit is very beautiful in the winter and I love the orchestra there and the Fox theatre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast