+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nice Cities to live in?

Re: Nice Cities to live in?

I've been in big and small cities all over the place and I still think Lexington and Cincinnati are two of the best cities I've seen (although Cincinnati can get dicey if you live in the wrong part of it. ). Lexington isn't for those that like hustle and bustle, though. It's for someone looking for the slow pace of a charming southern town to raise their kids.

Fort Collins, CO. is also a nice place to raise the kids. They have a park every block, I think. It's not as beautiful as some cities I've been to, but its a great place to have your family.

Chicago is my favorite "big" city. It has such a vibrant feel to it. There's something for everyone and I've really felt comfortable the times I've been there.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I agree with y'all about Atlanta traffic. I hate driving there. We were North of Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon about two months ago and got stuck on the interstate/parking lot. We did not move more than half of a mile in two hours. Nightmare.

I love San Antonio. I visited as a child and then again a few years ago for St. Patrick's Day. And it was really cold! We'd been expecting warm temps but ended up having to buy sweatshirts.

Chattanooga is beautiful. It's very laid-back and there is a lot to do there.

I also love Charleston. Wouldn't want to live in the touristy downtown but some of the suburbs and islands nearby are wonderful.

However, I'm staying put in Sweet Home Alabama
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2539040;
    I agree with y'all about Atlanta traffic. I hate driving there. We were North of Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon about two months ago and got stuck on the interstate/parking lot. We did not move more than half of a mile in two hours. Nightmare.

I love San Antonio. I visited as a child and then again a few years ago for St. Patrick's Day. And it was really cold! We'd been expecting warm temps but ended up having to buy sweatshirts.

Chattanooga is beautiful. It's very laid-back and there is a lot to do there.

I also love Charleston. Wouldn't want to live in the touristy downtown but some of the suburbs and islands nearby are wonderful.

However, I'm staying put in Sweet Home Alabama
    I love Charleston too, b ut I'm done with coastal living and the threat of hurricanes. Savannah is nice too. And we LOVE Chattanooga.
    I've been watching the Alton Brown special series on the food network where he and his crew are riding motorcycles up the Mississippi River (well not actually ON the river, but near it) and I want to go visit everyone one of the towns he's been too. Especially Natchez, MS.

If I had unlimited funds I'd live in San Francisco. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, that city last year when I was out there. But the threat of earthquakes is bigger than the threat of hurricane's to me. But I'd go back to SF in a heart beat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Atlanta traffic requires a lot of adjusting and knowing the city, but once you do, it's managable. The easiest key is to just avoid being on the roads during rush hour if possible. I find driving around M-F between about 10 and 4 to be very managable. The other key element is to always have 3 or 4 options for getting anywhere. You've gotta know if X road is backed up, I can skip over to Y, and what not. I'd still take Atlanta traffic over either LA or NYC. But once you've driven in any city like that, you do tend to laugh and laugh at people in cities where "traffic" means the cars are moving about 25 mph on the interstaes.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2539351;
    Atlanta traffic requires a lot of adjusting and knowing the city, but once you do, it's managable. The easiest key is to just avoid being on the roads during rush hour if possible. I find driving around M-F between about 10 and 4 to be very managable. The other key element is to always have 3 or 4 options for getting anywhere. You've gotta know if X road is backed up, I can skip over to Y, and what not. I'd still take Atlanta traffic over either LA or NYC. But once you've driven in any city like that, you do tend to laugh and laugh at people in cities where "traffic" means the cars are moving about 25 mph on the interstaes.
    My solution to Atlanta driving is to not. I go the loop road around it when I have too and the next time I do go, I'm parking way out and taking MARTA and then I don't have to drive in the city. Or I'll just get Queenb to pick me up and drive me around.

FORT Fogey

If Queenb is busy, I'll pick you up. It's going to be my hometown shortly.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2539395;
    If Queenb is busy, I'll pick you up. It's going to be my hometown shortly.

Can we go to The Varisity for some really greasy food?

Although I live in Greensboro and I really love North Carolina, I'm ready to get the heck outta here. I was born here and have lived here all of my life. I really need a change & badly! If money were no object, my butt would be in Vegas or New York City. I need some excitement and Greens-boring just ain't floatin' my boat anymore! I'm so ready for new people, places & things!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2539409;
    Although I live in Greensboro and I really love North Carolina, I'm ready to get the heck outta here. I was born here and have lived here all of my life. I really need a change & badly! If money were no object, my butt would be in Vegas or New York City. I need some excitement and Greens-boring just ain't floatin' my boat anymore! I'm so ready for new people, places & things!
    I've been to Greensboro. Nice place, but I can understand that there isn't a lot of excitement there.

At the age I am now, Vegas, NYC and LA are not on my list of places to want to live. A little TOO much excitement.

I lived in Key West, FL when I was 20. Now that was a happening town back then. I guess it still may be, haen't been in a while. But living there was a lot of fun. Especially during spring break.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2539400;
    Can we go to The Varisity for some really greasy food?

Oh, absolutely! The Varsity was an absolute childhood favorite of mine (the very definition of why you went to Braves games as far as I was concerend) that I've never outgrown!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast