+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Things you have never understood!

Shameful to say but as a teacher I've never found the greater than and less than symbols easy to understand in maths. I mean < and > . I really have to THINK about them as much as the kids I'm trying to teach!

AND I have never understood all that atom, proton, electron stuff in science, even though I got a good grade in my A level science!

Anyone else got any "mental blanks"
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Re: Things you have never understood!

With the < and >, the < looks like a squished "L". That's how I remembered it for less than.

Looks like I have the same mental blanks belfastgirl. I stunk at chemistry, Math, and science when it came to atoms, the elements chart whatever it's called.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've always looked at it as
    smaller larger>smaller looking at the point as small and the outer edges as larger

I never understood a lick of chemistry, and very little of physics. Math was better, until second-semester calculus knocked me sideways Grammar is a mystery that I've never solved--I say and write what "sounds right" to me, but it's only a guess.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I Is Stephanie

I always get right and left confused, to the point that I say "go right" and my friends will turn left (and I only know this because they say to me "we just turned LEFT moron.") I'm not dyslexic...

And I don't get trig. Like the triangle thing. I can't figure out how to spell it. I'm like this amazing math student, but then when it comes down to it, I can NEVER manage to tell the sine from the cosine from the tangent...

And as for the greater than/less than, my first grade teacher always said that the larger number gets the larger side of the symbol, therefore, 100 < 101, 101 is the larger number, the larger side of the sign faces towards it.

Oh, and apostrophe use. I thought I understood, then my 9th grade English had to undermine half of it. Now I can't remember which half I had right...

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar

One of my elementary school teachers told us that <> was like an alligator mouth, and the alligator always wants to eat the bigger number, (100>1, 1<100).

I'm a little ashamed to say that to this day, that's the way I keep it straight.
    I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke;2499730;
    One of my elementary school teachers told us that <> was like an alligator mouth, and the alligator always wants to eat the bigger number, (100>1, 1<100).

I'm a little ashamed to say that to this day, that's the way I keep it straight.
    We must of had the same teacher because I remember it that way as well.

Same here.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

ditto on the < > alligator thing. Actually it was my son who told me that was how his teacher explained it to him. Guess I am too old to remember what grade he was in or even how I learned how to figure it out when I was in school!

Steph...on the right/left thing......a ski instructor taught my friends and me that if you hold your hands up in front of you with the fingers straight up but the thumbs sticking out to the side the one that makes an "L" is your left! It works for me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast