+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Things you have never understood!

Why I didn't go to medical school, law school, or into the arts. What an idiot.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2511103;
    Who and whom. I can never remember when "whom" is appropriate. I usually just stick with "who" and probably sound stupid when I'm wrong.
    A reasonably easy way to remember which one goes where is, if the answer would be "him", the word is whom, ie. To whom did the entire herd of hamsters lie? They lied to him. / Who is the biggest liar in the entire hamster cage? He is the biggest liar.

A lot of people seem to have the same difficulty with I or me. If you take away the other person you are speaking about, then you know which word to use, ie: Mr. Rattus is taking Finley and me to the beach (Mr. Rattus is taking me to the beach) / Finley and I went to the beach (I went to the beach).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Regular

I have the hardest time reading maps. I don't know what it is but it's almost impossible for me.

Don't sweat it, justdecent. I've told my employees for years that maps are for sissies I love clear, concise maps, but they can be hard to find. I replace my road atlas every few years, and it is a real pain to find one I like Too often, I "settle." Street maps of cities can be a great tool , or a nightmare Don't get me started on how worthless I find Mapquest!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2511570;
    Don't sweat it, justdecent. I've told my employees for years that maps are for sissies I love clear, concise maps, but they can be hard to find. I replace my road atlas every few years, and it is a real pain to find one I like Too often, I "settle." Street maps of cities can be a great tool , or a nightmare Don't get me started on how worthless I find Mapquest!

Oh man Mr. Newfherder - I absolutely hate mapquest. I pulled it up the other day for someone to get directions, YECK! I have quicker more direct directions in my head and gave him those instead.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2511305;
    A lot of people seem to have the same difficulty with I or me. If you take away the other person you are speaking about, then you know which word to use, ie: Mr. Rattus is taking Finley and me to the beach (Mr. Rattus is taking me to the beach) / Finley and I went to the beach (I went to the beach).

That's how I always remember it! It irritates me when supposedly "educated" people get that wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2510635;
    ...But Sudoku is the one that I just cannot grasp.
    My sweetie figured out how to do Suduko and get it right almost 99% of the time! It drives me insane.

I don't understand why we usually think that quality = high price. That is just so not true in real life with so many things. Maybe that's why I love the Dollar store.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2511305;
    A reasonably easy way to remember which one goes where is, if the answer would be "him", the word is whom, ie. To whom did the entire herd of hamsters lie? They lied to him. / Who is the biggest liar in the entire hamster cage? He is the biggest liar.
    ).
    Thanks, I never remember the who/whom rule either. But what's up with the example--herds of lying hamsters?

As for the math thing, I usually did better with the word problems. And for any other math, I pretend it's referring to money, specifically my money. I do much better that way!

I'm another crossword and jumble lover, but do not understand the appeal of Sudoku.

Prhoshay, I often wish I had thought about law school when I was younger...I did do the art thing in college, and now think it was pretty much a waste of time.
    Last edited by queenb; 08-09-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2513211;
    Thanks, I never remember the who/whom rule either. But what's up with the example--herds of lying hamsters?
    \
    Sorry . The hamsters are the residents of the Big Brother house, many of whom (who? crap, this is one place I don't know the correct word) are lying to one another.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2511073;
    But it's cheese. Cheese is a dairy product.
    How do you take the calcium out of milk products? Just don't get it. All other cheeses I am aware of have calcium ... even the "fake" processed stuff. Cream cheese should be considered a condiment... or not a cheese. I can't decide which. Sorry ... this has just always bothered me.

+ Reply to Thread