+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2508053;
    Bg you don't use mL?
    For cooking and baking I can do it in imperial or metric.. weather or temperature on the other hand has to be all metric or I have to convert to understand.
    Something I have never grasped were those stupid word problems.
    "If 2 trains left the station at the same time, one heading west at 40mph, the other heading east at 55mph which one will get to their destination first?" BLEAH! kill me now
    Oh, yeah temperatures. It can be 100F outside but it really doesn't sound so hot to me till I convert it to Celsius and it turns out it's almost 38C. Then it's hot!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Dare I say that I still have a problem with whether I'm downloading or uploading.

I'm generally somewhat technologically challenged but at some point I think I learned that "download" means receive, and "upload" means send ... but I always confuse them and also misspeak and sound silly.

I mean, while I am on the FORT typing this post, am I downloading the site ... and when I hit submit and post this message am I uploading it to the FORT ... and when I see it posted here am I then downloading it again ?

"The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2507616;
    Oh, and "I before E except after C" is a good rule in spelling. .....
    I've never understood how this became a rule. Simply because it's not true. Maybe for the majority of ie/ei words, but there's enough where it doesn't apply, thus making it unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2508146;
    Oh, yeah temperatures. It can be 100F outside but it really doesn't sound so hot to me till I convert it to Celsius and it turns out it's almost 38C. Then it's hot!
    Explain to me why I can't tell the outside temperature in Farenheit and I can't tell the oven temperature in Celsius. So it's 25C outside, but my oven has to be at 350F.

Also, Quebec is a melting pot of measuring systems. We have recipies in the metric system, but products sold by the ounce. We have grams, we have pounds, I'm always completely confused.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm pretty good with directions, reading maps, but the temperature things throw me. 38C is a bra size.....not 100 degrees! And the formula for that conversion has no flow for me. I am getting a little better with metric conversions.

And I agree with Tribal Speak about the "I before E, except after C" but the rest of that quote is "except when sounded like A, in neighbor and weigh". It still doesn't always hold up. Irritating!

Back when I used to teach Jazzercise...it was a real experience having to learn to do everything backward! If I told the class to go right, I would be going left. That was an experience that made me have to stop to think about right and left when I was talking to teaching a class! I could point in the proper direction, but verbalizing was a moment of huge hesitation.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2508314;
    Explain to me why I can't tell the outside temperature in Farenheit and I can't tell the oven temperature in Celsius. So it's 25C outside, but my oven has to be at 350F.

Also, Quebec is a melting pot of measuring systems. We have recipies in the metric system, but products sold by the ounce. We have grams, we have pounds, I'm always completely confused.
    You're asking me?

Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C. What's not to love about that? Down with this Fahrenheit business!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Water freezes at 0C and 32F.
    Water boils at 100C and 212F.
    And yet -40C and -40F are both the same.
    ?Go figure.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Add me to the list of not being good at the N/S/E/W....

I suck at fractions, percentages, Suduku and math word problems.....basically anything beyond the basic add, subtract, multiply and divide and I'm screwed! Thank God my son took after my ex and does well at algebra....my son even knows better than to ask for my help on any math related homework!

I love to watch tennis and golf but I don't really have a clue on how they do the scoring...birdie, eagle.........ad in, ad out, deuce, love...Why oh why can't it just be like baseball...one, two, three, etc.......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;2508753;
    Water freezes at 0C and 32F.
    Water boils at 100C and 212F.
    And yet -40C and -40F are both the same.
    ?Go figure.

I have never understood that. All those conversions remind me of Chemistry, ugh, not my strong suit!

Men.

My Family.

Not necessarily in that order.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread