+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Unklescott, that's the way i keep up with my months too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fanatic

I have to do the old count off on the knuckles for which months have 31 days. I have been known to do this in public and I'm ok with that

That's how I remember days in the month too, Unk.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by bewty;2507624;
    I have to do the old count off on the knuckles for which months have 31 days. I have been known to do this in public and I'm ok with that
    That's what I do too!

I grew up in Europe and learned British English in school. To this day, many times I find it painful to "misspell" theatre, centre, metre etc. and I always have to think of my birthday in "American" or I'll mess it up and put the day first. I'm used to all the pounds, pints and such by now, but when I really want to know what's what I have to convert to metric in my head. This is especially true when baking. One cup of something is just not good enough for me, sorry. That's 2.4 dL, dammit!

The concept of NWSE as pertaining to street directions is very painful for me. I can get lost in the Chicago suburbs without any problem, because I never know where's East or West. Can't see the damn lake from here, so how the hell am I supposed to know where East is? However, I never get lost in Europe, where nobody can tell East from West and none of the streets are straight, not even by mistake. I can even get on, say, the Bruxelles Metro and always know where I am. They never should have built Chicago on a grid. What a mistake!
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 08-06-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I have a decent sense of direction, but my sister's is much better -- she found our way back to our hotel through the streets of Dublin without a map once. I had us all turned around.

I'm not much good at N/S/E/W, though. I can tell by the sun if it's up, and follow directions if they follow street signs that actually SAY you're going west, but otherwise, I much prefer landmarks. And that's how I give directions: "You'll go for several blocks, and you'll pass the stadium on your left, and the Greyhound station on the right, and after you cross an intersection with a 7-11 and a CVS then it's two blocks and the turn is by a big brick house" etc. Directions from me usually take a whole page.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

For the months that have 31 days, I do the little poem: 30 days have September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 (except February). I've said it wherever I happen to be. Sometimes people look at me rather strangely, but if it wasn't because of that it would just be because of something else!

All these cups in US recipes are very confusing for us Europeans. We use scales to weigh ingredients in grams and kilos or in my Mums day pounds and ounces!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Bg you don't use mL?
    For cooking and baking I can do it in imperial or metric.. weather or temperature on the other hand has to be all metric or I have to convert to understand.
    Something I have never grasped were those stupid word problems.
    "If 2 trains left the station at the same time, one heading west at 40mph, the other heading east at 55mph which one will get to their destination first?" BLEAH! kill me now

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2508053;
    Something I have never grasped were those stupid word problems.
    "If 2 trains left the station at the same time, one heading west at 40mph, the other heading east at 55mph which one will get to their destination first?" BLEAH! kill me now
    Oh my - I can't believe this is the first mention of these! I hate them! I can spend a good amount of time on these silly word problems - and also those "logic" problems that are ever so popular to math teachers - and never ever come up with the correct answer. It just doesn't compute for me! I'm not bad at math, but deciphering the meaning of what it is asking you to do is simply beyond me, obviously.

I used to love word problems. When the daughter of a friend was taking second-year algebra, she'd complain that they were impossible ; then she would be mystified when I solved them for her in my head. I tried to explain my methodology, but there is a reason that I'm not a teacher. Maybe she should have looked through my ear with an otoscope to see what was going on in my brain
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread