+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

"Front, BOW! Back, STERN! Screw it up Squirt, and I'll throw your ass out the little window on the side of the boat!" Quint "helping" Hooper in "Jaws"

I learned "port" has the same number of letters as "left," and is defined relative to the bow.

ETA: Oops, beaten to the punch again. I'd delete, but I like the quote from "Jaws"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

North, South, East and West. I think of a map of the world and find that helps me.
    BUT I teach the kids in school the directions as Never Eat Shredded Wheat going clockwise.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2500420;
    Therefore when someone gives me directions such as "we're on the southwest corner," or "turn west at Main St. then head south," what I hear is blah, blah, blah blah, blah.
    I hate that too, roses! What do people like that think we are? Pioneers? How am I supposed to know which way is south in the middle of a city? Look for moss on trees? Wait till dark and find the north star?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Sorry guys, but I have to admit it makes me feel better to realize I'm not the only directionally challenged person. Duxxy, you are so right about the different way the sexes give directions. When telling someone new how to get to our house Mr. Rose gives complicated (to me) directions like, go 2 miles, then head south for 1/4 mile, then turn southeast and our house is 400 feet on the west side... Here's my version: once off the freeway, go through three lights, turn left, we're the second street on the right directly across from the golf course, we're the eighth house on the left. Blam! Done.
    Last edited by roseskid; 08-02-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Funny thing is Roses, if I give or take directions (the way you say them) nobody ever gets lost. The "male" way, everyone is lost.

My father and now my husband have been trying and fighting with me to get the N/S/E/W thing. Not going to happen. Give me left or right and I'll find my way.

Directions I got...right and left not so much. I always hold up my 'L's, but they both look like Ls to me so I always trace the left with my writing hand, cause right writes. And the way for me to remember Starboard is on the right is cause my right side is the 'superstar' of my sides...but then I still have to hold up my Ls to find the right side.

I have never understood grammer and spelling, adjective what? I try to write the way I talk, but when I talk I don't need to spell and my thoughts are so unorganized when I write that it takes me FOREVER to write anything, this post is going on 5 mins now. I am improving though.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person to confuse < > ! I thought I was really really stupid (I work with engineers and need to know the difference, so I wrote a little "cheat sheet" for myself."

I also don't know north, south, east, west. I also have a bad habit of getting turned around and going the opposite direction.

Another thing I have trouble with is military time.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2501204;
    Funny thing is Roses, if I give or take directions (the way you say them) nobody ever gets lost. The "male" way, everyone is lost.

My father and now my husband have been trying and fighting with me to get the N/S/E/W thing. Not going to happen. Give me left or right and I'll find my way.
    Hah! My directions are always better than my husband's as well. Landmarks, guys, it's all about landmarks. Turn right at the food mart. Left at the school. If you hit the Tim Horton's on your left you've gone too far. Simple.

My car has a little thingy over the rearview mirror that tells me the temperature outside and if I'm headed N/S/E/W, NW, SE, etc. I know I live in the northeast part of our city, so it's somewhat helpful to know if I'm going in the right direction (we've only lived here a few months). But I don't usually carry a compass.

Misty, military time is easy if you just remember to subtract 12 hours from 1300 on.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I hate trying to find somewhere from a badly hand drawn map! I was going to a party in an unfamiliar town and took me 30 mins to suss out the map i was sent. If they had drawn a roundabout rather than a fork in the road I'd have found my way far more easily!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I'm fine with directions and math, but bookkeeping terms (Debit & Credit) always baffle me.

+ Reply to Thread