+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

I Is Stephanie

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2500136;
    Steph...on the right/left thing......a ski instructor taught my friends and me that if you hold your hands up in front of you with the fingers straight up but the thumbs sticking out to the side the one that makes an "L" is your left! It works for me!

I tried that actually...it didn't exactly work, because then I wasn't sure which one was the "L"... I actually ended up writing "right" and "left" on my sneakers, which, as bad-cartoon movie as it sounds, works.

And I'll also cop up to the North South East West thing. I can't tell you which direction I'm facing at right now, and I only know what direction I'm driving in because he signs on the highway say I-190 NORTH merges Route 2 EAST--1 1/2 miles. I know nothing when there aren't signs explicitly saying the direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2500492;
    And I'll also cop up to the North South East West thing. I can't tell you which direction I'm facing at right now, and I only know what direction I'm driving in because he signs on the highway say I-190 NORTH merges Route 2 EAST--1 1/2 miles. I know nothing when there aren't signs explicitly saying the direction.
    The Boston area is always fun... I love that you can be going NORTH on Rte 128 and SOUTH on I-93 at the same time...
    Last edited by Brodie; 08-02-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: To Clarify what I said...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

When I hear friends talk about city centre Belfast streets, it's no good telling me the name of the street. They have to name a shop or other landmark ( bar or restaurant ). AND I have a degree in Geography and have ived here all my life!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Hey Steph - when my little ones are starting to dress themselves for outside I put a dot on the inside instep (on the outside) of both shoes. Then I tell the kids if the dots are kissing you will be putting your shoes on the proper feet.
    Don't laugh - it works.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;2500517;
    The Boston area is always fun... I love that you can be going NORTH on Rte 128 and SOUTH on I-93 at the same time...

When I was younger, I had this "terrific" job that required me to travel out of state a bit each month. I would fly into a strange city, pick up the rental at the airport, the try to find my way to a few specific business addresses where I was to arrive unannounced (auditing), so I couldn't even call for directions! I learned real fast not to trust the directions on the signs... Actually, that job was probably the only reason I developed my sense of direction. After driving in strange, busy cities a few times in rental cars it just became second nature to think in terms of East/West/North/South verses Left/Right and past the old Huckleberry bush!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

What a fun thread! Math will always be a mystery to me, a far away land that I will never reach. In school, if the question was 5 x 0, my answer would be 5, because 5 was the number being "timesed". If you're "timesing" 5 with nothing, you'll get nothing, but you'll still have the 5 you started with. If it was 0 x 5, my answer would be 0, by the same reasoning. I've yet to grasp this concept!
    Also back in school, I used to make up a word or phrase for something I had to remember. To this day, I still remember the five stages of cell division from Biology, because I remember the word "ipmat". Interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telephase.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Put me down as math-challenged and left/right-challenged. There is absolutely nothing I can do about the math, but when asked, usually by Mr. Rattus while he's driving and I'm navigating, which way to turn, I have to do a quick mime of writing so I can remember which side is right (I'm right handed).

I am also severely challenged when it comes to computers. I can format a document like nobody's business, but anything to do with bits or bytes or downloading or uploading or streaming or......totally useless. I've been working on computers for over twenty years now and Mr. Rattus has been downloading music for about a year, with absolutely zero prior computer experience. For the first few months he kept asking me questions because "you use computers all the time, you must know". Until we had the biggest fight we've had since year one of our marriage. He seriously can't quite comprehend how I can know absolutely nothing about something I use every day. As an example of how useless I am, I've read thread on how to post pictures approximately 37 times and still can't figure out how to move beyond attaching thumbnails so I can show Finley in all his giant, shiny glory.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The way I remember left/right is to think of my ankle. Broke the LEFT one when I was 12.

OMG. I am so bad at math. You just don't know. My kids make fun of me mercilessly. I think I'm at about a 2nd grade level. Whenever they try to explain anything to me-like 8x6 I just hear blah,blah,blah. Like in Peanuts when the teacher is talking.

I can even pinpoint when the whole math thing started. In third grade my eyes started going bad. My mum thought I was just faking it. Couldn't see the board to save my soul. FINALLY got tested in 6th grade. My vision was 20/400! When I finally got glasses I almost fainted. The leaves on the trees! The dirt on the ground. Wow. Of course by then, math was a lost cause.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I have absolutely no concept of what "port" side is and what "starboard" side is of a boat. Seems to me, the "port" side should be whatever side's up by the port--which is either left or right, depending on the dock. Right now, on the Mississippi outside my window, there are boats docked on both the east and west banks for offloading. All boats are facing north (up river) and one is docked on the left side of the boat and one on the right. So it makes no sense to me.

PG, the way I remember the "port" side is that port and left both have 4 letters. If you are facing the front of a ship the "port" side is on your left and "starboard" is on your right. When I worked at camp we would play a game with the kids and that is what we always would teach them and that is how I remember. We also would tell them the bow is the front because you bow forward. The stern is the back because only stern people sit back there, I don't know what that has to do with anything. It makes me remember though.

+ Reply to Thread