+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

I know this is just a little of the beauty pageant topic. But there is one thing I have never understood and I would just love someone to explain it to me. This may sound like the start to a pretty bad joke, but, why do frogs cross the road when it rains? I have always noticed this and never understood why. Sometimes I actually hate driving in the rain because there are so many frogs hopping their little way across the pavement, on their way to God knows where, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I know there is some smart science fan out there who knows the reason for this and can answer what has been a life long question.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose;2551981;
    I know this is just a little of the beauty pageant topic. But there is one thing I have never understood and I would just love someone to explain it to me. This may sound like the start to a pretty bad joke, but, why do frogs cross the road when it rains? I have always noticed this and never understood why. Sometimes I actually hate driving in the rain because there are so many frogs hopping their little way across the pavement, on their way to God knows where, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I know there is some smart science fan out there who knows the reason for this and can answer what has been a life long question.
    This question is totally awesome. Seriously. I hope someone with more knowledge than me can post whether this answer is correct or not, but I've always been told that amphibians breed in the water, therefore when it rains the frogs and toads come out and search to find mates. It's not the roads they are seeking out in the rain, it's that we just have so many of them for the little froggies to cross on their trek to find "true love"...

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose;2551981;
    ... why do frogs cross the road when it rains?
    They're after the warmth retained in the road surface from the day's sunshine (even a cloudy day warms the road). Being cold-blooded, their degree of activity is low when ambient temperature is low. To 'get themselves going', they need to warm up. The road surface is the warmest thing around. Coincidentally, since their activity is higher when they're warmer, it's a time of increased mating, since they're um.. more active... then.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never understood why some people won't look at you when they talk to you. They will look anywhere but at you. Of course, it gives you a huge opportunity to really study them, whereas you probably wouldn't, otherwise.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2552395;
    I've never understood why some people won't look at you when they talk to you. They will look anywhere but at you. Of course, it gives you a huge opportunity to really study them, whereas you probably wouldn't, otherwise.
    I don't know if it's the same reason for everyone, but when I was younger I was really shy, and I had a difficult time making eye contact with people I was talking with. I still find it difficult make eye contact for extended periods, even though I am no longer shy at all. I actually remember a recurring nightmare I had when I was 8 where I was forced to make extended eye contact with the boy down the street that I had a huge crush on. Silly, but true.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Saw a commercial tonight and it made me think of this thread.....

We've all seen that commercial for the Just For Men hair dye.....takes all of 5 minutes for a gray-haired man to transform to brown or black.

How come they don't have a Just For Women hair dye that also takes only 5 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2553495;

We've all seen that commercial for the Just For Men hair dye.....takes all of 5 minutes for a gray-haired man to transform to brown or black.

How come they don't have a Just For Women hair dye that also takes only 5 minutes?

Because they know that women use the excuse of doing something with their hair that takes hours.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2553495;

When I was considering covering up my grey a couple of weeks ago, I thought, why not look into using Grecian Formula. So I'm reading the back of the box and discover that one of the main ingredients is lead. I quickly put it back on the shelf. I can't imagine slathering my head with lead for any reason, never mind vanity.

I ended up using Clairol, and I must say I look magnificent .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Revlon had this 10-minute color, but they discontinued it. I let them know that this was a bad idea. I loved it!

Something I don't understand: Why people care about somebody being gay; unless they are trying to hook up with them, what possible difference could it make? I've never understood that.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-31-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2552128;
    They're after the warmth retained in the road surface from the day's sunshine (even a cloudy day warms the road). Being cold-blooded, their degree of activity is low when ambient temperature is low. To 'get themselves going', they need to warm up. The road surface is the warmest thing around. Coincidentally, since their activity is higher when they're warmer, it's a time of increased mating, since they're um.. more active... then.
    Thank you so much for your answer. It makes perfect sense to me now! The next time I see those little buggers hopping away with all their might, I will try as best I can to avoide them and send them some good vibes for the mating which is sure to follow!

+ Reply to Thread