+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2548441;
    Made me wonder if Miss Teen South Carolina could find South Carolina on a US map.

Hey I even wonder if she could find Iraq, South Africa and "Asian countries" too!

As my favorite judge says, "Beauty fades. Dumb is forever."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

And you know, this brings me to another thing I don't understand: Beauty pageants. Oh, I KNOW they are supposed to give scholarships, but really, come on, I just don't see the attraction in participating or watching. And what I REALLY don't understand is the small children pageants where they have to tart up the little girls. That's why I LOVED Little Miss Sunshine as it kind of made fun of that whole thing.

I was asked several times to put my daughter in these pageants and I never would.
    But a younger child does not need the hair and makeup that Miss America contestants need. Well a young child doesn't need to be shown at a young age about superficiality anyway.

I just don't understand all beauty pageants. (even though I know I could take one in a heartbeat of I wanted too! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2548898;
    I was asked several times to put my daughter in these pageants and I never would.
    Same. My youngest got the white-blonde hair, deep-blue eyes, and milky skin of an angel, and everywhere we went for the longest time, I would be approached about entering her in pageants. Also TV/Modeling. My theory was simply that when she got old enough to say whether or not she wanted to do that, then we'd think about it. She has never shown an interest, and I am so thankful, because I don't agree with so many of the practices and the competitive nature of them based on looks. Such superficial bullstuff in my opinion. The most beautiful people I know would never win any beauty pageant, nor would they want to.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2549081;
    Same. My youngest got the white-blonde hair, deep-blue eyes, and milky skin of an angel, and everywhere we went for the longest time, I would be approached about entering her in pageants. Also TV/Modeling. My theory was simply that when she got old enough to say whether or not she wanted to do that, then we'd think about it. She has never shown an interest, and I am so thankful, because I don't agree with so many of the practices and the competitive nature of them based on looks. Such superficial bullstuff in my opinion. The most beautiful people I know would never win any beauty pageant, nor would they want to.
    I SO agree with you.

My SIL worked for a large advertising agency when my daughter was little and she kept asking me if they could use her for advertising purposes in print and tv ads. I would not do it. I didn't agree with it for my family. It might be fine for others, but I just felt like you did. If she was interested when she was older, fine. She never was.

I was in a pagaent my sr yr in HS. It was an excuse to learn to speak in public. I came in second and won the talent portion. I met area girls that I might not have met before. The gal that won was real pretty. I guess our emphasis was not on beauty but on speaking well in front of a lot of people. I remember my question: What is the last movie you saw and why did it affect you? Well, I was a wild child at times and had recently seen "Groove Tube" and couldn't have mentioned that fact-my parents didn't even know I'd been and wouldn't have been happy about it. So, lamo that I am and was, I said, "I guess it would have to be "The Godfather" because of all the violence. Thank you." Short and sweet, but the kicker is I couldn't even watch the movie-it was too gory for me! So, years later and still remembering how I couldn't think in public, it was right that I didn't win. I still have one of the trophies being a bookend. That was the only time. I don't know if I would have let a daughter do that, though.
    My friend put her daughter through it and ended up shelling out a lot of money for the extras-pictures, dresses, makeup. She always said looking back she wouldn't do it again. Her daughter was 9 when she started, and 12 when she stopped. The other children resented that they didn't have enough money for all the kids to get new things.

Here's the transcript of what she said.
    "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq. Everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa. It should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."

If anyone is confused by what Miss S. Carolina said - here is a helpful diagram:

http://www.morningtoast.com/wordpres...ds/missmap.gif

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2548898;
    And you know, this brings me to another thing I don't understand: Beauty pageants. Oh, I KNOW they are supposed to give scholarships, but really, come on, I just don't see the attraction in participating or watching.
    I never would have thought I'd be justifying pageants, but hear me out. One of my nieces is absolutely gorgeous (well they all are, but she entered a pageant ), and she's also smart and kind and humble). When she was a senior in high school she was looking for money to apply toward college anywhere she could. Friends encouraged her to participate, and honestly, she made her own dress, did her own hair and won for her city. She didn't go any further than that but got enough money to help her through four years. She has just begun her master's and is a wonderful human being. I believe she won because she wasn't your typical dumb blonde, and I am so proud of her and all my nieces and nephews.

I also understand this is an exception and I applaud Big Bear City, CA!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

The lack of geography knowledge is pitiful. My best friend used to teach 2nd grade and is now teaching high school math. I gave her a globe as a Christmas gift several years ago and she ltook it into her classroom, Those kids are fascinated with it and (In my own opinion) I think that they have learned a lot from that!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2551473;
    I never would have thought I'd be justifying pageants, but hear me out. One of my nieces is absolutely gorgeous (well they all are, but she entered a pageant ), and she's also smart and kind and humble). When she was a senior in high school she was looking for money to apply toward college anywhere she could. Friends encouraged her to participate, and honestly, she made her own dress, did her own hair and won for her city. She didn't go any further than that but got enough money to help her through four years. She has just begun her master's and is a wonderful human being. I believe she won because she wasn't your typical dumb blonde, and I am so proud of her and all my nieces and nephews.

I also understand this is an exception and I applaud Big Bear City, CA!

Now see, this is an exception (and Famita's) I CAN understand and I think its wonderful she made her own dress and did her own hair, but the family that made the other kids do without so the sister could have all the clothes, makeup and stuff to be in pageants. That I really DON'T understand.

Unfortunately its not all about who is the smartest. It's about who can afford the clothes, hair, makeup to compete.
    If they'd change the rules (especially for little girls. That should be NO makeup, just natural childhood beauty and none of those silly dresses) then maybe I could find it easier to understand.

I guess what I'm saying is that if everyone entered on an equal playing field then it might be ok. But they don't.
    And I do agree that it probably does give one poise and the ability to be comfortable in public, speaking in public. But then so does a class in speech and debate.

As for the Miss SC transcript. Oh my Lord, can someone please interpret that for me? That was painful to read, I can't imagine watching it.
    Well if she runs for office, her campaign motto should be: "A map for every home!.... and The Iraq"

Doxie, one of my most treasured things I had as a kid was a globe. It wasn't a very expensive one, but it did have bumpy areas where the mountains were. I loved that thing and I loved to spin it and feel the mountains on it and read the names of places I dreamed of going.
    I just read a really interesting book that mainly took place in Hungary, Romania, Istanbul and Bulgaria. I love it when the inside cover is a map. I would read and then flip to the inside cover and pour over the map studying the area I was reading about. Maps actually fascinate me and while I don't grab one to read for pleasure, I do find myself studying one occasionally. I had to sit in Walmart tire center several months ago waiting and they had atlas of the US there and I was bored, so I picked one up. I entertained myself for about half an hour while waiting on my car. I like looking at the little towns and wondering how they got their names. Some are very interesting.

Well if a video game came out that made kids learn geography while killing aliens and chasing people in virtual cars, maybe they'd learn more.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-30-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2549081;
    ..... I don't agree with so many of the practices and the competitive nature of them based on looks. Such superficial bullstuff in my opinion. The most beautiful people I know would never win any beauty pageant, nor would they want to.
    Now this is something that's worth printing out and hanging on a wall with other wise sayings. This is exactly how I feel about it, as well. Well said, remote_goddess, well said.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

+ Reply to Thread