+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2548050;
    queenb mmmm...I would love to have some cornbread in milk!!! Makes me think of my grandparents! Love that stuff!
    There is nothing better than cornbread crumbled in milk! First you get to spoon out the big crumbles and eat it, then you get to drink the rest of it when it's just little crumbles. One of the delights of being a true southerner -- that and warm white rice with sugar and milk.

But I actually came to say what I never understood, and that is... Miss Teen South Carolina's answer to why so many Americans can't find America on a map.

Say what?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2548386;
    There is nothing better than cornbread crumbled in milk! First you get to spoon out the big crumbles and eat it, then you get to drink the rest of it when it's just little crumbles. One of the delights of being a true southerner -- that and warm white rice with sugar and milk.

But I actually came to say what I never understood, and that is... Miss Teen South Carolina's answer to why so many Americans can't find America on a map.

Say what?
    OMG..was that not THE most ridiculous thing she said????

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Made me wonder if Miss Teen South Carolina could find South Carolina on a US map.

Hey I even wonder if she could find Iraq, South Africa and "Asian countries" too!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2548412;
    OMG..was that not THE most ridiculous thing she said????

Well what did she say?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2548259;
    BB: Buttermilk reminds me of my grandparents too. Not that I want to drink it, but they loved it. I remember them eating cornbread in Buttermilk and also (EWW!) crumbled up crackers in Buttermilk. Last week, I actually bought some Buttermilk and soaked some chicken pieces in it for fried chicken. My California-born better half was fascinated by this (I don't cook often) and he decided to taste the Buttermilk. I warned him to stand next to the kitchen sink while he was tasting it. Sure enough, he promptly spit it out into the sink and he still has not stopped talking about how disgusting it was. He loved the fried chicken though!

It is a must to soak chicken in buttermilk before frying. Also I make my cornbread and biscuits with buttermilk. Buttermilk is a "good thing".
    And I will even drink a bit of it now and then, but it is an acquired taste.

I have memories of my dad eating condensed milk out of the can with a spoon. Now while I cook with it, I could never get passed the taste of that thick, really sweet goo to eat it like he did.

Gabriel, I can picture you as a boy hating that game. I hated it too. But I also hated tag and what was that one: "whip the snake?" or some such where every one held hands and you ran around and tried to fling the people on the tail end off the line. For the record, I think Marco Polo was stupid too. We had a pool growing up, so it seemed someone was ALWAYS playing that game in it. I preferred to climb up on the roof with my friends and jump off into the pool. Yeah, we got in trouble for that, but it was still a lot of fun.

Speaking of pools, I have never understood the concept of diving. I lived in Florida, we had a pool and yet to this day, I cannot get my feet over my head to dive headfirst into the water. My dad tried and tried and I never could do it or even figure out why people wanted to do it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2548544;
    Well what did she say?
    Its on YouTube...I've sent you a PM.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2548441;
    Made me wonder if Miss Teen South Carolina could find South Carolina on a US map.

Hey I even wonder if she could find Iraq, South Africa and "Asian countries" too!

From what I've seen, the answer would be NO.

Here in SC, there are signs at the city limits that say: (name of town), home of 2001 Miss South Carolina, Jane Doe. Makes you wonder if that's so they know if that's where they live!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2548386;
    I heard this on the radio yesterday, but wasn't sure what it was for - was it a pageant question?

Anyway, I'm curious - what would be a sensible answer? One that wouldn't enrage the entire country?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The truth always works: low funding for education makes for poor education. That 5% increases multiple times when you consider the number of Americans who can't find Canada on the map...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2548643;
    The truth always works: low funding for education makes for poor education. That 5% increases multiple times when you consider the number of Americans who can't find Canada on the map...
    I was watching celebrity jeopardy a few weeks ago and I can't remember the celebrity, but they could not name the 3 branches of government: Judicial, executive and legislative.

I know people that can't name the VP, the Supreme Court Chief Justice and probably couldn't tell you the name of the governor of their state. It's really sad that we have all these freedoms in our country, yet no one can really name any of them except freedom of speech or the right to bear arms.

My geography is pretty good except for Eastern Europe and Africa. I can at least find the 3 countries in N. America!

I've never understood all the talk about education, but the utter lack of funding it here. I get dismayed when they come out with survey's showing how low the US ranks in education compared with other countries.

+ Reply to Thread