+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2546287;

I never did understand the attraction of crumbling cornbread into a glass of buttermilk and eating it with a spoon. I mean, I like buttermilk and I adore cornbread, but not together. (shudder) My FIL did this all the time.
    I don't do it with buttermilk, but regular milk...hell yeah, that's good stuff! I remember a 'new girl' from Kansas went up to my Granny's house with my sister and I one summer, and was really grossed out by seeing us eat this, until we talked her into just trying it. Instant addiction! ;lol

I don't understand how people can keep a loving pet with no behavior problems for seven or eight years and then just dump it in the shelter like trash. The baby kitties and puppies are sad enough, but the grown animals really make me because most of them are so desparate to be petted--and so many will never get a new home. I've got to quit even looking in the kitty jail at Petsmart
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2547371;
    I don't understand how people can keep a loving pet with no behavior problems for seven or eight years and then just dump it in the shelter like trash. The baby kitties and puppies are sad enough, but the grown animals really make me because most of them are so desparate to be petted--and so many will never get a new home. I've got to quit even looking in the kitty jail at Petsmart
    Because to them it is NOT a loving pet, it is a piece of property. When they get older they are no longer "cute". I think an ad campaign that should be done is an eqivalent of a family dumping a human kid off at a shelter when it gets to be 9 or 10, this might save some of those older pets.. I refuse to go to pet stores or stores that have animal departments.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Having spent most of my life avoiding pools, lakes, and other large body of water, I have no idea what the whole "Marco!" "Polo!" thing is about Would someone please enlighten me as to the meaning (if any, I mean I know who Marco Polo was, but beyond that . . .? ) and rules (if any)?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always thought it is a "locator" game. I've also always thought it was stupid.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2547660;
    I've always thought it is a "locator" game. I've also always thought it was stupid.
    I feel really stupid. What the heck is a locator game?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

MRD

Played in a pool or body of water. One person shuts their eyes and they are "Marco". They try to find and touch someone else by yelling: "marco" and everyone else has to respond "Polo" while trying to stay out of the way of "Marco". Once you have been touched by "Marco", then you become "Marco"

It's a stupid, tiresome game and hearing "marco", "Polo" yelled over and over is probably why I hate it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Seems silly, but a "locator" game is simply one in which one person is deemed "it" and locates the other players. Hide-n-seek would be a locator game. Marco Polo-the game, from what I've always been told, is simply named for the explorer and the similarities/ties are only that according to history, the real Marco Polo somehow got seperated from his fellow explorers and was lost wandering around somewhere in Asia. Supposedly he claimed that he heard his name called out to him repeatedly as he searched, and he believed it to be his family/countrymen. In the water game, one person is searching for the other players, lost (blindfolded/shut eyes), and hearing the name called out, guiding them home safely...

May all be rubbish, but that's what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2547914;
    Played in a pool or body of water. One person shuts their eyes and they are "Marco". They try to find and touch someone else by yelling: "marco" and everyone else has to respond "Polo" while trying to stay out of the way of "Marco". Once you have been touched by "Marco", then you become "Marco"

It's a stupid, tiresome game and hearing "marco", "Polo" yelled over and over is probably why I hate it.

Now that I am reading this, it has come back to me vaguely that I think I played this game once or twice but thought it ws stupid. - so I called my mom to ask her if she remembers this game and surprisingly she did and told me I played it once, and halfway through (she said she could still see her little Paul marching, yes marching out of the water)I stopped and kept muttering as only a preteen could mutter "stupid stupid game" and after that i always wanted to either just swim or read, and refused to play any other stupid (my words) water game.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

queenb mmmm...I would love to have some cornbread in milk!!! Makes me think of my grandparents! Love that stuff!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

BB: Buttermilk reminds me of my grandparents too. Not that I want to drink it, but they loved it. I remember them eating cornbread in Buttermilk and also (EWW!) crumbled up crackers in Buttermilk. Last week, I actually bought some Buttermilk and soaked some chicken pieces in it for fried chicken. My California-born better half was fascinated by this (I don't cook often) and he decided to taste the Buttermilk. I warned him to stand next to the kitchen sink while he was tasting it. Sure enough, he promptly spit it out into the sink and he still has not stopped talking about how disgusting it was. He loved the fried chicken though!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread