+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2546147;
    I don't understand why more people won't do trips or entertainment solo.
    I have thought of this as well, especially in going to the movies. It's not like you talk a lot with your company. I also find the movies a weird choice for a first date, you'd want to talk to the person and get to know them, not sit quietly for two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2546147;
    I don't understand why more people won't do trips or entertainment solo.
    I'm with you, queenb. I got 3rd row tickets to a concert once because I was alone. If I had bought more than one, it would have been upper bowl city. I have friends tat think I am strange for doing things alone. (of course this was before I had a kid) I always thought it was ridiculous to put off my fun because I couldn't find anyone to go with me.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2541296;
    Another thing I've never understood is what it is about the taste of milk that some people love so much. I must have some kind of bizarre gene that makes it taste like one of the more disgusting things in the entire world, I'm sure. I stopped drinking it before I graduated to a sippy cup, I'm told. It does not make me sick. I can cook with it, I can dress it up and change it into something else, I can use it on cereal, but the taste has got to be changed with significant sweetener. What's the deal? It's like ipecac for me, only faster.
    I really don't like milk either. I definitely couldn't drink a glass of it by itself. I only drink milk if I am eating cake or cookies and then I have to take a bite, then a drink. My boyfriend eats all his cake or cookies and then drinks a tall glass of milk straight down. I couldn't do that! I also have it on cereal or use milk in cooking but having a glass of milk with dinner or just by itself....yuck!

MRD

Well I'm guessing that buttermilk drinkers are even less in numbers here than regular milk drinkers. I don't drink buttermilk often, but occasionally a nice glass of cold buttermilk just hits the spot. It is better to cook with, but I do drink it on occasion.

I never did understand the attraction of crumbling cornbread into a glass of buttermilk and eating it with a spoon. I mean, I like buttermilk and I adore cornbread, but not together. (shudder) My FIL did this all the time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2546164;
    I have thought of this as well, especially in going to the movies. It's not like you talk a lot with your company....
    i agree completely. i love going to movies alone ...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2546296;
    i agree completely. i love going to movies alone ...
    I do enjoy movies alone. But I prefer to have company in other places. I am such an observer of the human species that I like to have someone with me to point out interesting observations to.

And I much prefer shopping alone. I hate going shopping with someone else. I usually don't want to look at what they want to look at and I can make a decision about a purchase fairly quickly and tend to get in and out of stores. I don't enjoy being dragged around looking at stuff that I have no interest in.

I've never understood the enjoyment of a mass shopping spree.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2509946;
    Those were the worst! I would need to storyboard the entire question, seriously, I'd need a train, track, diorama, and individual miniature oranges and apples for the cargo, if needed. I had to enact it if I were to have a pray at figuring it out.
    Exactly! What were called thought problems in my era of 7th grade math were a complete mystery to me, and the cause of missed band practices because I had to stay after class and continue to try... If, like you said, I had been allowed to draw them - make them visual - then maybe the two speeding trains would colide when they were supposed to collide. Word logic comes fairly easy to me, but apply an equation layer to it and I'm lost.

The problem with NSEW is that the earth tilts. Darn earth. I live in an apartment that "supposedly" faces true north, and this may be true as direct sunlight has never graced the windows...but, east and west sun placement moves according to the season. If I'm standing facing north on the patio, the eastern sun is sometimes directly on my right shoulder and sometimes behind my right shoulder (striking the shoulder blade.) Unfortunately, I'm one of those who sense direction rather than parse it. I once got into an argument with a math-logic oriented friend when figuring out directions from a crude map. He finally threw up his hands, but we arrived at our destination all the same.

Thanks for this thread. It feels good to be able to admit to personal challenges.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2546317;
    I've never understood the enjoyment of a mass shopping spree.
    ha!!! this reminds me of my trip to san francisco ... i was there with 8 other women from around the country and we were all standing around in the lobby of the hotel trying to figure out where to go first. no one could make up their minds.

i got tired of waiting around so i grabbed a map of the city, hopped on the trolly and toured it on my own. i think i had more fun that day than i ever would have had if 9 of us had tried to stick together and had power struggles over who was going to decide where to go next.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2546501;
    ha!!! this reminds me of my trip to san francisco ... i was there with 8 other women from around the country and we were all standing around in the lobby of the hotel trying to figure out where to go first. no one could make up their minds.

i got tired of waiting around so i grabbed a map of the city, hopped on the trolly and toured it on my own. i think i had more fun that day than i ever would have had if 9 of us had tried to stick together and had power struggles over who was going to decide where to go next.
    It is impossible to do anything with more than 2 other people like that. I have been to Disney with a large group and you never get to see anything as everyone spends the time trying to decide what to do. I get like you and either make the executive decision for everyone or find one or two others to go off with and tell everyone we'll meet them at the Tomorrowland cafe for lunch at noon. See ya then!

I don't mind having one or two others to go around with on a tour or trip, but more than that and every one hems and haws. Why is that? Why can't people just come out and say: I want to do this and not say: "I don't know, what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want?". ARGH, drives me crazy! Now that is what I don't understand!

I'm in full agreement on the shopping-with-other-people thing. I will not, under any circumstances, go shopping with "girlfriends" ever again. I do not understand the joy people get in poking and prodding and comparing consumer goods for hours on end. I actually buy nearly everything I need online now, and the few items that I need to check out in person - shoes, for example, with respect to fit - I know in my head essentially what I'm looking for. I go in, circumnavigate the store, if I see anything of interest I ask for a pair in my size, if I don't, I'm out of there in under a minute flat. The girlfriends, on the other hand, pick up every single pair, contemplate which outfits they may or may not go with, consider whether they are too much money, ponder whether they are a cherry red or a lipstick red, wonder if the cut makes their ankles look fat...aarrrrgggghhh!

And with respect to travel, I will never travel with anyone but Mr. Rattus ever again. I've dealt with too much complaining, dithering, or bullying to ever want to go that route again. Mr. Rattus travels well and we get along - that's good enough for me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread