+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Things you have never understood!

I'm open to that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My girlfriend downs milk by the pint. I've seen it. I really can't weigh in on the great taste debate, though, because I'm allergic to it and, therefore, have never drunk anything aside from soy milk. Which is atrocious.

I can certainly agree that everything goes wonderfully with a nice glass of tea, though.

FORT Fan

I don't understand "breaking news" Our abc affilate uses "breaking news" almost everyday. There are truly only a few times that news is breaking. Ozone action days, heavy rain and lots of snow is not breaking. They once broke into "the view" when some nut drive into someones house. Isn't this just news? I can wait till noon to hear this.

We also have a really phony weatherlady here. Her behavior is so forced, and comes across so phony. I really need to send a tape to Joel McHale, because its absurd. She makes me anxious.. I keep wondering does she really think we think she acts like that all the time. Today she was commenting on a news story. I . She said "That's just adorable" Then the other anchors comment on the story and she said you know what "that REALLY IS adorable. IIRC, correctly the news story was about the guy who caught Barry Bonds ball and he called his father in the middle of the night to tell him. And his dad said it better be important. Why is that news story adorable?? When I see people like this I always like they are probably nasty in person. We had another anchor who left for I village live. So glad it flopped. She was very phony. When there was a nice story she would also use "adorable" and "how cute" to. When I use to hear her do this, I kept thinking to myself. I bet she isn't so adorable when she is screaming at her kids or yelling at her husband.

One of our local news papers, said the weather lady would be good for romper room

I also never understood why weather ladies are always knocked up
    Last edited by snarkattack; 08-23-2007 at 07:25 PM.

We also have a really phony weatherlady here. Her behavior is so forced, and comes across so phony
    I can relate to that. One of the local anchors drives me nuts. I swear that her news copy must have little notations on what expression she should use while reading. During 9/11 coverage, the station had a psychologist on-air, and she asked him "how should we feel about this?" Some years earlier, she was doing coverage of a flood. One of the field reporters finished his report with "It seems that the farther or higher you are from creeks and rivers, the better off you are." I thought "duh!" but our intrepid anchor sagely nodded her head and said, "Good analysis!"

Need I add that although she has to be late 40's, she still tries to look like a cheerleader? Need I also add that it doesn't work? Why do stations hire and keep people like that??
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

I don't understand the concept of "heat" lightening.

We've had a ton of it tonight. Is it the same as "regular" lightening?

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2542255;
    Need I add that although she has to be late 40's, she still tries to look like a cheerleader? Need I also add that it doesn't work? Why do stations hire and keep people like that??
    One thing I liked about the local station we watched in Florida is that they had a late 50's anchor woman who was overweight and obviously older woman who had not had plastic surgery. She always looked very classy and pulled together, but she wasn't the stereotypical perky, blond, thin, news anchors that most stations had. I think one of the reasons they kept her was that she actually added credibility and dignity that the younger ones don't do.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-23-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Heat lightning is regular lightning. The difference is that the storm producing the lightning is far enough away that you do not hear the thunder, and sometimes, it is far enough away that you don't even see the tops of the clouds. Back before I knew better, I packed up my astronomic gear on an otherwise clear night because of heat lightning--surely it meant that the storm was just over the horizon and heading my way!

Meteorology has always been something of a mystery to me. As a kid, I was sure that it was going to rain one partly-cloudy day, because I saw the clouds moving (first time that I had laid back and watched them, I suppose.) Mom had laundry drying on the line, so I ran in the house to tell her that she better bring it in. Needless to say, cooler heads prevailed.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2541390;
    you can add me to the milk haters club. I've never been able to stomach plain old milk. I can drink chocolate milk but it has to be ice cold. I'll just stick with my iced tea.

I wonder if we are long lost twins Duxxy. I, too, have never really liked plain milk. I can drink it flavored or in cereal etc. I have to have it ice cold even then. I'll just stick to my iced tea as well.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

I don't drink a lot of milk. When I do drink it, it has to be icy cold and in a glass - no plastic cups or cartons. I'm probably the only Southerner who cannot stand iced tea as well. I'm quite fond of water, apple juice and tomato juice (in Bloody Mary's of course).
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie
    I'm probably the only Southerner who cannot stand iced tea as well.
    Well, from my experiences, iced tea in the south usually has an obscene amount of sugar, so I can hear you out on that one. That's something that "I have never understood."

I never fully understood (till a few years back) that American Iced tea and Canadian Iced tea were such different things.
    Where the iced tea drink is just cold tea in the States and here it's the pop drink. That for some reason boggled my mind .

+ Reply to Thread