+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

I also have problems with left and right. I know which is which but if I'm put under pressure I can mix them up. Plus I mix them up irregularly so it's not a sure thing to do opposite as I say. I can even point one way and say the other.

This is a thing Mr. Fatale really likes (*sarcasm*) when we're driving. Especially when we're in my hometown, which has quite busy traffic and I'm supposed to give directions since I know the town. He always makes sure to ask me way ahead so I can change my mind and point correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2499547;
    I never understood a lick of chemistry, and very little of physics. Math was better, until second-semester calculus knocked me sideways Grammar is a mystery that I've never solved--I say and write what "sounds right" to me, but it's only a guess.
    Hey newfherder! - That is exactly how I write. I write how I would say something.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MamaC. I teach my kids the left and right the way the ski instructor said.
    Interestingly, in teaching Grammar, I learned and taught parts of speech such as noun, verb, adjective, pronoun, adverb and using common sense to see if sentences look or sound right. I trawl the net and us a lot of US stuff, but some of it goes into Grammar stuff I don't recognize!
    AND aplologies to all you US citizens, but when I give my kids US worksheets, they can now spot them because of spellings such as color, mom etc. I just tell them that Americans don't know how to spell!
    Last edited by Belfastgirl; 08-02-2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling mistake!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Fun thread!

I've always been horrifically bad at math - so bad, in fact, that when I spent a few months teaching sixth-graders, I had a hard time keeping up with them! Algebra was like torture for me in high school; I think my math teacher gave me a C just because he felt sorry for me. (That, or my pathetic attempt to impress him by taking heady volumes of Proust and Joyce to class actually worked. I just didn't want him to think I was an airhead in all regards.) I suppose I compensated by exceling in languages instead but my, do I suck at math. It's almost like I'm missing a gene or something. Luckily, I get on fine despite being a total airhead when it comes to anything involving maths. Thank God for calcylators!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

This isn't really something I don't understand, but something that confuses me is the way people in different countries write the date.

I'm British, we're day/month/year.
    If you were to ask a British person the date today, they'd likely say "the second of August".
    Americans write month/day/year and would say "August second".
    I now live in Canada and there seems to be a mix of both which is very confusing at times.
    I was asked to give my date of birth over the phone and was told I was, "wrong, your birthday is April 9th".
    No, it isn't

I get to do my own confusing when people ask me the time and I say things like "quarter past four" or "twenty five to six".
    "That's Numberwang!"

I write dates both ways. If I spell out the month, I write 2 August 2007, and if I do it numerically, it comes out 8/02/07. I stumbled across a geneology web site a while back, and it had a big chunk of my family tree in it (I have no idea who supplied it; it was not one of my siblings.) It was clear that some of the dates had reversed months and days.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I had a friend in high school who had trouble with left and right, and would actually begin the Pledge of Allegiance to determine which hand/direction was right (because you put your right hand over your heart). I always thought she was playing around but now you've all got me second-guessing that assumption.

Sort of along these lines, I suck at North, South, East and West. Yes, I know where they are on a compass, and understand that living in California, the ocean is to the West. I also get that the sun rises in the East. BUT, when I'm driving in a new area mid-day (so no sunrise/sunset) how in the hell am I supposed to know where the ocean is, or where the sun rises. Mr. Rose (even my daughter for that matter) seem to instinctively know, but me? Not a chance. Therefore when someone gives me directions such as "we're on the southwest corner," or "turn west at Main St. then head south," what I hear is blah, blah, blah blah, blah. Those dash-mounted GPS units would be a godsend for me, but I refuse to fork out that kind of money.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Sort of along these lines, I suck at North, South, East and West
    I'd be lost without my sense of direction
    when I'm driving in a new area mid-day (so no sunrise/sunset) how in the hell am I supposed to know where the ocean is, or where the sun rises
    The sun will be in the south at mid-day, and your shadow will point north. Or you can use the Boy Scout trick and look for moss on the north side of panhandlers.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I am terrible with directions, and we have a GPS.
    It will mark the end of my marriage yet.
    I panic when he tries to work with it while driving, but he never believes me when I tell him what it is saying.
    and my left and rights get turned around about 70% of the time.

and he doesn't understand why I 'turn' the thing so I am facing the direction we are moving. he says I should be able to keep it north and figure it out HA!!!
    I always have to turn maps to the way I am going or I can't figure out the next move.

I do have the mirror display with the directions, and that is all I need.

the GPS - I spend much time cussing it at and trying to beat it to the punch - not that hubby will listen to ME.

I also have some trouble with right and left and I have to turn the map in the direction I'm going to make sure everything is right. Most people are right handed so I teach my kids that their 'crayon hand' is to the right - except my daughter who is left handed then her 'no crayon hand' was to the right

I think it's that 'in the nose' thingy that men have that allows them to be less directionally challenged.
    There was a study done that when asking a man for directions he will use North South East West but a woman will use landmarks (down 2 lights and turn at the Dairy Queen) It's something about the hunter/gatherer in us all.
    Yes, I watch too much Discovery Channel.

+ Reply to Thread