+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

MRD

Re: Things you have never understood!

I have never understood that about the electric co. ads either. Quit wasting my money telling me what a good job you are doing. I figure you're already doing a good job when I get up every morning and the light comes on when I hit the switch. Yeah, its not like I have a choice of power companies so why the ads?

MamaC, I have the answer for the bathroom/phone. There is a hidden sensor in the toilet seat. Pressure activates it so as soon as you sit down, the phone rings. It happens here too.

I have a no solicitation sign on my front door. Stops ALL of the magazine sales, church visits and other people that come to the door wanting something.

We have a carport and the backdoor opens onto it. What I do NOT understand is that the UPS guy will come and knock on the back door when he has a package for us.

And here's another, I don't understand. My husband had a very expensive saw stolen at a job site. His boss claimed it on his insurance and gave my husband the money to buy a new saw. He got a good deal on a new one on ebay and ordered it. It had to arrive DHL and it was to be in a rather large, heavy box.
    We have a very long driveway and this was an expensive saw, so we were on the lookout and figured that we'd have to sign for it as it was shipped insured. Imagine my surprise one day when I go out to get in the car and the gigantic box that I CAN"T move is sitting in the middle of my driveway, about halfway to the street. DIRECTLY behind the car. He never even attempted to come to the door nor get it closer. Hubby was livid that it was left almost on the street.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Another thing that I do not understand is companies like Home Depot, Lowe's. When you buy an appliance, they tell you that they do curbside drop-off. WTH?? And exactly HOW is that helpful??? I may as well hire somebody to go to the store, get the appliance, bring it in, and install it. What a jackass idea.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2541053;
    Another thing that I do not understand is companies like Home Depot, Lowe's. When you buy an appliance, they tell you that they do curbside drop-off. WTH?? And exactly HOW is that helpful??? I may as well hire somebody to go to the store, get the appliance, bring it in, and install it. What a jackass idea.
    Yep, you are better off to hire someone. After what we just went through with the new fridge and removing every freaking door we have practically to get it in the house, I would have paid someone else to do it.

What I don't understand is why builders built this house with the skinniest doors in the world. You can't get anything through them at all.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2541053;
    Hmmm. I just bought a new washer/dryer set from Lowe's and they delivered to my house, not curb-side, and hooked them both up. I don't believe I had a delivery charge, either, but I'll have to check the receipt to be sure on that. I was pretty happy with the service, and would buy from there again for the price and convenience.

I bought a stand-alone freezer last spring; Lowes delivered and set it up. When it didn't work, they loaded it right back on the truck and came back that day with a new one.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2541240;
    I bought a stand-alone freezer last spring; Lowes delivered and set it up. When it didn't work, they loaded it right back on the truck and came back that day with a new one.
    My parents bought a new fridge from Sears (this was about 15 years ago). They delivered it, promptly dropped it off the back of the truck, loaded it back up, took it back to the store and got a new one and didn't drop this one thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2540926;
    What I do not understand is our power/electricity company running television and internet ads. It's not like we can choose where we get our power from! I'd much rather they not spend the money for the ads and reduce everyone's bills. Thankfully, I have my trusty remote and I can fast forward through most of those ads!
    And presumably if you are watching the tv you already have their electricity service. What a waste of money.

I don't answer my phone at home if I don't know who it is, and I don't have an answering machine there either. I kept forgetting to check it, so people would think they had left me messages and I wouldn't get them in time. I just turned it off. The people that I really want to be able to get ahold of me have my cell phone number which has voicemail.

Wow, those were the days. I believe we actually had 5 channels where I grew up, of course two of those were in the higher numbers. Oh yeah, plus PBS which I guess makes six. 2 phones in the house, no answering machine, no microwave (I finally bought my mother her first microwave in '88 and she still is using it!) and 2 window ac units. One of which was in my parents' room.

When I was really little the tv broke and my parents didn't replace it for about 8 years or so. I mostly grew up without a tv, so no wonder I'm addicted now As well as no AC at all in our first house.

My mom must not have liked being immobile on the phone though as we always had really long cords on them.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe the policies on curbside deliveries have changed since I last bought something from them. I started shopping at stores that would do it all.

Another thing I've never understood is what it is about the taste of milk that some people love so much. I must have some kind of bizarre gene that makes it taste like one of the more disgusting things in the entire world, I'm sure. I stopped drinking it before I graduated to a sippy cup, I'm told. It does not make me sick. I can cook with it, I can dress it up and change it into something else, I can use it on cereal, but the taste has got to be changed with significant sweetener. What's the deal? It's like ipecac for me, only faster.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2541296;
    Another thing I've never understood is what it is about the taste of milk that some people love so much. I must have some kind of bizarre gene that makes it taste like one of the more disgusting things in the entire world, I'm sure. I stopped drinking it before I graduated to a sippy cup, I'm told. It does not make me sick. I can cook with it, I can dress it up and change it into something else, I can use it on cereal, but the taste has got to be changed with significant sweetener. What's the deal? It's like ipecac for me, only faster.
    I'm with you on this one - except my reaction might be a bit less severe. It doesn't make me gag or anything (ipecac), but I do not like the taste of milk at all. The only way I can stomach it plain is for it to be ICE COLD skim milk. I do think anything other than skim would make me gag. I can do it on cereal, in recipes, etc, like you, but a plain glass of milk.... well, the appeal simply eludes me. I know I should drink it for the calcium and vitamin D - but I can get those in supplements and they're added to my orange juice, which I drink all the time.

MRD

The best thing in the world is a glass of cold milk. But it has to be in a glass. I can't drink it out of a carton or plastic. Unfortunately milk doesn't love me anymore, so now I use rice milk. Just not the same, but its ok in cereal.

I don't understand why if I'm on the computer, then the kid wants on. If get on the phone, she wants that too. If I'm in the kitchen, here she comes and gets in my way and I was there first. (yes, I'm behaving like a MINE! MINE! MINE! 3 year old today. )

+ Reply to Thread