+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2540392;
    Just don't answer the phone. IMO, it is there for my convenience not everyone else.

I usually don't but it usually rings just as I am starting to nod into limbo land and my nap is shot to pieces.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I used to shut off the ringer, it's the antisocial in me.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2540392;
    Just don't answer the phone. IMO, it is there for my convenience not everyone else.
    I didn't have a phone until I got married. If I don't recognize the name on the caller ID, I let the machine get it.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2540369;
    OR the minute I lay down to take a nap.
    Nap time is sacred and the phone goes OFF the hook.

I also do not answer if I don't recognize the name or number on the caller ID. If I could figure out how to turn off the ringer, I would do that, but taking it off the hook works for me too. We still have one "attached" phone and that one I can take off the hook. I don't understand the new cordless phone functions (another, things I don't understand. ) so I don't know how to turn the ringer off.

And speaking of, it is HIGHLY unsatisfying to hang up on someone on a cordless phone. It's just not the same as SLAMMING down the phone on the old style of phones used to be. I could slam that handset down and deafen the person that PO'd me on the other end. Cordless phones, just go click. Not the same at all.

Having a teenage girl in the house, we have to have call waiting otherwise we'd never get any calls for us at all. I am wondering how much it costs to surgically remove a phone from a 16 year old's ear.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-22-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2540460;
    I didn't have a phone until I got married. If I don't recognize the name on the caller ID, I let the machine get it.
    Unless I'm specifically expecting a call (usually from a repair person of some sort), I don't answer the phone at all. I haven't actually answered our phone since, if I recall correctly, 1988, the year I discovered the answering machine.

I generally don't answer the door, either (unless we're expecting pizza or the aforementioned repair person). People who know us know to come around back. If you don't know that, then there's a good chance I don't want to deal with you right now.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;2540467;]And speaking of, it is HIGHLY unsatisfying to hang up on someone on a cordless phone. It's just not the same as SLAMMING down the phone on the old style of phones used to be. I could slam that handset down and deafen the person that PO'd me on the other end. Cordless phones, just go click. Not the same at all. QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2540467;

And speaking of, it is HIGHLY unsatisfying to hang up on someone on a cordless phone. It's just not the same as SLAMMING down the phone on the old style of phones used to be. I could slam that handset down and deafen the person that PO'd me on the other end. Cordless phones, just go click. Not the same at all.

Oh the days of the phones that could be doorstops, lethal weapons, and yes paperweights. I used to love SLAMMING down the handset and you hear the kind of vibrate "diiiing"...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Yes! Rotary phones! They weighed a ton! And I do remember rabbit ears and the antenna up on the roof, the three channels.

I could only imagine how my kids would react if we only had two landline phones plugged into the wall, definitely no privacy there. My kids all have their cell phones and the older two, who no longer live at home, use their cells as their main phone service....they do not have landline phones.

Back to the things I have never understood......I swear that there is some sort of camera in MY bathroom because, more times than not, as soon as I sit down on the throne that darn phone rings! If I think about it, I will grab the cordless and take it in with me but still.....how does the world know when I am going to the bathroom????

I also will not answer the phone if I don't know who it is. That's what the answering machine is for (and I just love how many of these calls never leave a message!) We used to have an answering machine that would speak out the name and number of the caller. I loved that machine, because I would have it cranked up and could hear it if I was in the bathroom. We no longer use it since our newest cordless phones came with a built in answering machine. I was so bummed when I found out that it didn't say the names and numbers!

I like that idea, Rattus, of not answering the front door. Everyone we know comes to our side door, many times even delivery people. The ones who actually come to the front door are politicians running for office, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, or the gazillion kids who are selling the same candy, wrapping paper, and/or magazines that my own kids were selling. Now that school starts in two weeks, we will be inundated with the fundraising for the schools. I am going to ignore the door! (Except on Halloween night, as all the kiddies come to the front door)

Caller ID is the best invention EVER. I never answer the phone unless it's someone I want to talk to. I also rarely answer the door. Our Girl Scout Cookie Dealer emails us (she is 8) when she's looking for a sale.

We have "his and her" remotes. Mine is the one that came with the satellite TV thingy and his is a "univeral remote". I've gotten pretty fast with the buttons and I can control what we are watching while he is obsessing over what to delete from the Tivo.

What I do not understand is our power/electricity company running television and internet ads. It's not like we can choose where we get our power from! I'd much rather they not spend the money for the ads and reduce everyone's bills. Thankfully, I have my trusty remote and I can fast forward through most of those ads!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2540863;
    My kids all have their cell phones and the older two, who no longer live at home, use their cells as their main phone service....they do not have landline phones.
    i haven't had a landline for about five years now. when we got our first cell phone (for emergencies), i realized that since we had cable internet, i didn't need the landline anymore, so our cells have been our primary phone ever since.

+ Reply to Thread