+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

When my kids were younger I told them how, when I was a kid in the 50s/60s, we only had one TV in the entire house, and the programs were only shown in Black and White! Also mentioned that we had one phone on the first floor and one on the second floor. Only one car that Dad took to work everyday. Stores were not opened 24 hours, and not even opened on Sundays. No microwave, no cable TV and no VCRs. My smartass son asked if we had electricity and indoor plumbing when we were growing up!

They could not imagine living like that (and that conversation was even before the advent of computers, cellphones, ipods, etc)!

I actually did look at some of our TVs tonight (we have 6 and there are just three of us living here now ) and all of them still have buttons for manually changing the channels and volume level.

My parents have a VCR that does not have a remote control. My Dad is a retired airline pilot. He can fly a 747 but hasn't figured out the microwave yet. They do have a computer and they have us to help with technical difficulties. My favorite "help desk" call so far was my Mom calling to tell me that she'd "blown up" the computer.... She was playing Solitaire and the screen went blank. I told her to turn it off and go to bed.

Oh - and, for awhile, I lived in a very old house that only had one phone jack. I figured out how to get two phones, DSL and the computer to work from there. Lots of wires and cables, but it worked.

I do remember black and white tv and "rabbit ears" and I still have a rotary dial phone. It was my grandmother's. I may have to haul that out and see if it still works. I bet it does!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2539116;
    When my kids were younger I told them how, when I was a kid in the 50s/60s, we only had one TV in the entire house, and the programs were only shown in Black and White! Also mentioned that we had one phone on the first floor and one on the second floor. Only one car that Dad took to work everyday. Stores were not opened 24 hours, and not even opened on Sundays. No microwave, no cable TV and no VCRs. My smartass son asked if we had electricity and indoor plumbing when we were growing up!

They could not imagine living like that (and that conversation was even before the advent of computers, cellphones, ipods, etc)!

I actually did look at some of our TVs tonight (we have 6 and there are just three of us living here now ) and all of them still have buttons for manually changing the channels and volume level.
    Wow just reading your post makes me think we really did grow up in the dark ages. Our one tv only got 3 channels and you had to go outside and adjust the antenna to get good reception. And the phone you had to DIAL. We only had one. It was in the hallway. No private conversations, that's for sure.
    And we had ONE window unit AC and we lived in Florida where its HOT. My husband who also lived in Florida, didn't get AC until he joined the Army at 18. His parents house had NO ac at all. Even our HS was not air conditioned.

I said this to my daughter one day about the tv and she couldn't believe that we didn't have a VCR. When I told her that her grandmother didn't have tv growing up and her great-grandmother (who was still alive at that point and she knew her well) didn't even have a radio growing up, she couldn't even grasp that.

Doxie, you dad sounds like mine. He was a Navy pilot and flew on and off carriers. We would marvel that he could do that, but could not operate the remote for the tv. We found him a remote that did not have number buttons on it. It had a channel up and down button and volume up and down and on and off and that was it. He was stumped.

But it must be hereditary as I absolutely cannot figure out how to use any of the features of a cell phone. I can dial it and press send and hang it up. Other than that, I am at a loss. But its probably because I haven't had a cell phone in ages and all the new features have come along since I had one of my own.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-22-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Wow, do I feel like I'm living in the dark ages myself! I do not have cable and I do use rabbit ears. I do not have a land line, although I do have a cell phone that I use sparingly. I have it turned off more than on. I want you all to know I really like people, I just don't always like modern.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2539319;
    Wow, do I feel like I'm living in the dark ages myself! I do not have cable and I do use rabbit ears. I do not have a land line, although I do have a cell phone that I use sparingly. I have it turned off more than on. I want you all to know I really like people, I just don't always like modern.
    This is me. However, I do like having a tv remote.

that said, I do have to say that as far as technology has come, that I am sorely disappointed in my generation for NOT inventing flying cars, and moving walkways (and not just at Airports and Disney) and all that other convenience stuff we used to see in the cartoons and movies about "the future in 2000" back when we were kids in the 60's and 70's

I can so totally see the yard sticks and other implements guys use when they can't find the remote.

Also can identify with the fridge thing. I guess we think the fridge fairy has come in and stocked up the fridge in the 20 min. since we last looked.

I call it desparation. After 20 min. maybe I am now hungry enough to eat something that 20 min. ago I wouldn't have considered eating.

What I don't understand is why I can sleep through the night most nights, but you let me have an appointment or something else to do (even if its going to be fun) the next morning and I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep for 2 hours. Then I'm tired and feel like poop the next day at whatever it was I had planned.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

That's how I feel today-my office mate is on vacation this week (I really begged her not to go, not to leave me, not to have to be alone for a week but she and her husband just laughed at me!) and we have some important meetings lined up this week. I thought about them until 2:30 this morning! At least I did get some sleep!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't understand why you can't block one phone number on the cell phone without blocking all incoming calls. They say the technology is not there, but I have a hard time believing that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I don't understand why the phone will not ring ALL day long, but you let me get on it and I get 3 call waiting interupttions in the first 2 min. of the call. Where were all these people that are calling when I wasn't using the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2540139;
    I don't understand why the phone will not ring ALL day long, but you let me get on it and I get 3 call waiting interupttions in the first 2 min. of the call. Where were all these people that are calling when I wasn't using the phone?
    OR the minute I lay down to take a nap.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Just don't answer the phone. IMO, it is there for my convenience not everyone else.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread