+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

MRD

Re: Things you have never understood!

I don't understand why the snooze button goes off on every 9 min. Why not an even 10? (I know I posted this elsewhere, but it belongs here)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I put it to google and found this:
    mental_floss Question of the Day
    By the time the snooze feature was added in the 1950’s, the innards of alarm clocks had long been standardized. This meant that the teeth on the snooze gear had to mesh with the existing gear configuration, leaving engineers with a single choice: They could set the snooze for either a little more than nine minutes, or a little more than 10 minutes. But because reports indicated that 10 minutes was too long, allowing people to fall back into a “deep” sleep, clock makers decided on the nine-minute gear, believing people would wake up easier and happier after a shorter snooze. We’d tend to disagree with that logic, but, then, we must be in the lazy minority. Although today’s digital clocks can be programmed to have a snooze of any length, most stick with nine minutes because that’s what consumers expect.
    And this answer:
    http://www.jewishworldreview.com/090...sked092403.asp
    By setting the snooze time to 9 minutes, modern digital alarm clocks only needs to watch the last digit of the time. So, if you hit snooze at 6:45, the alarm goes off again when the last digit hits 4 - at 7:54. They couldn't make the snooze period 10 minutes, or the alarm would go off right away - or the clock would take more circuitry.

Historically speaking, there's another element to the answer. Clock experts say when snooze alarms were invented, the gears in alarm clocks were standardized. The snooze gear was introduced into the existing mix and its teeth had to mesh with the other gears' teeth. The engineers had to choose between a gear that made the snooze period nine-plus minutes or 10-plus minutes. Because of the gear configuration, 10 minutes on the nose was not an option

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why are some people's bicycles drawn, almost magnetically, to fixed objects?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The snooze duration on my clock is only like 4 minutes. What kind of a snooze is that? I rarely, if ever, bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2524573;
    Why are some people's bicycles drawn, almost magnetically, to fixed objects?
    That brings back such memories! When I was in elementary school there was this girl who was lipping off to us and we were driving by in the school bus and she was riding her bike. She ran right into a parked car. She wasn't hurt, but I'm pretty sure her pride was just a tad. It was hillarious.

I have never understood people who say "I am not a pet person".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2537661;
    Why not? There are those who say they are not a kid person. I like cats and dogs, but I don't care to have one. Just like some people like kids, as long as they are other people's kids.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2537661;
    I'm with you. Pets so enrich my life, but I guess to each his own if people are not. But I love animals, so I guess its hard for me to understand people who don't, or who don't love kids.

I guess when we are of one mindset, its often hard to understand people of the opposite mindset.

I however am very happy to be both a kid and pet person.

Now, I would definetly have to say I am not an idiot person. Can't stand people that are idiots. Or rude. I just dealt with a very wealthy man who was the rudest SOB I've ever had the misfortune to run across. He treated everyone around him like we were all completely beneath him and not worth the time he had to spend around us. I am definetly not one of those kind of persons.
    And I definetly don't understand why people like that think they have to act like that and treat everyone so badly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Probably because I think that having a pet can be like having a kid, but less hassle. And, yes, I am a mother. I like having both, mind you, but pets are definitely easier.

little & small - how can they mean such different things? "Small fries" are ok but "little fries" definite no no!
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

+ Reply to Thread