+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

PBS has a very good documentary, "The Appalachians," which explains the history of the region, the people who settled there, etc. You're correct that a lot of settlers came from Scottish backgrounds. My mother tells a story about being at a dinner party in New York in the 1960's (she lived in Spanish Harlem for a year, which had to have been a huge change for a girl from the mountains) and asking someone to "reach" her a dish. A Scottish woman who was there told her she hadn't heard anyone say that since she left Scotland.

Also, notice bluegrass or old-time music, and clogging or flatfooting -- how much they have in common with Irish and Scottish music and dancing.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

At least they had the good sense to leave the bagpipes behind

Disclaimer--one of my brothers is a piper
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2517701;
    ..... It's things like this that make the English language so confusing! .....
    I was talking to an English as a Second Languauge teacher years ago. He said that English is one of the goofiest languages there is and that simple contradictions were what made it so hard for the students to grasp. An example he gave was you get into a car, but you get on a bus. ESL students don't get that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Another thing I never quite understood is why, when the DVD player is off, the light is on, but the light is off when the DVD player is on. I"ve had my player for quite a few years, so I don't know if that is still the case, but why did they make this a feature???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2518165;

Also, notice bluegrass or old-time music, and clogging or flatfooting -- how much they have in common with Irish and Scottish music and dancing.
    I have just noticed that since we moved to SC. There is a huge Scottish heritage here and we went to a festival back in May and I was noticing that the Scottish fiddle and the dancing are very similar to Bluegrass and clogging. It's been very interesting finding out so much about the Scottish influence. The documentary I watched said that 12,000 Scots settled in NC in the 1760's-80's. And many more went to other states as well. I'm Presbyterian and I've NEVER seen so many Presbyterian (Church of Scotland in Scotland) churches as there are here. They are EVERYWHERE. I'm used to living somewhere where there is usually only one.

Actually Newf, there are LOTS of bagpipes around here. Presbyterian College which is about 30 min. from here has a Pipe and drum corp marching band and they wear kilts too. There was a HUGE Scottish Heritage festival (gathering of the Clans) here in May. I have NEVER seen so many men in skirts or bagpipes in my life. I actually LIKE the bagpipes. I have Scottish ancesters so I think that's why I've been so interested in all this. We have pipers in Church several times a year. Nothing can make me cry faster than to hear Amazing Grace on the pipes. That and Scotland the Brave. I keep telling my husband I'm going to get him a kilt and he says no way. He has Scottish ancestry too. In fact, the research I've done shows us from being from the same clan. I guess I must have married one of my cousins. Now how "mountain" is that? He says the closest he's getting to that is drinking good Scotch whiskey.

That's cool about your brother. How hard was it for him to learn to play the pipes?
    Last edited by MRD; 08-10-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;2518330;
    I was talking to an English as a Second Languauge teacher years ago. He said that English is one of the goofiest languages there is and that simple contradictions were what made it so hard for the students to grasp. An example he gave was you get into a car, but you get on a bus. ESL students don't get that.
    Or why do you turn on your alarm clock, so it goes off in the morning? I might agree that English is a goofy language, but the rules in French language make it one heck of a hard language to learn. There is no grammatical rule for why some words are feminine and others masculine. For example, the sun is male, but the moon is female. Why? I can't give you a reason. It just is. Crazy. You have to be born French to know. And don't get me started on the accents: è and ê have the same pronunciation (as "ei" actually), but you have to know when to use one and when to use the other.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

my ex husband was a freak about pronouncing words correctly, and it drove him crazy that the one word i have always had trouble with is "didn't". it comes out sounding like "dint". i don't know why i can't say it right ... i can say "couldn't" and "wouldn't" correctly ... but i just can't say "didn't" right.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2518497;
    Or why do you turn on your alarm clock, so it goes off in the morning? I might agree that English is a goofy language, but the rules in French language make it one heck of a hard language to learn. There is no grammatical rule for why some words are feminine and others masculine. For example, the sun is male, but the moon is female. Why? I can't give you a reason. It just is. Crazy. You have to be born French to know. And don't get me started on the accents: and have the same pronunciation (as "ei" actually), but you have to know when to use one and when to use the other.

Have you ever read Mark Twain's essay about the German language? It's worth looking for!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We went to a ball game last night and were just behind the foul poll, which got me thinking.

If a ball that hits the foul poll is fair, why isn't it called the fair poll?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2516703;
    the pronounciation of "coupon" reminds me of something. I so do not understand why some people pronounce "wolf" as "wuff". I want to be, like, "no.. wuff is a sound a wolf makes... not a wolf."

And seriously... I dont understand my mother. This morning I woke up and was getting ready for school, this was the conversation:
    mom: "Julie!"
    me: "yes?"
    mom: "are you awake?"
    me: "i'm answering you, arent I?"
    Ahh so glad to have new COOPON friends ♥

I've heard people say wuff too, reminds me of people saying 'ruff' instead of roof.

+ Reply to Thread