+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

And how come at work management feels the need to send EVERY employee a paper copy of a memo saying there's a paper shortage and to conserve paper????

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2517137;
    Are you sure you're reading the label correctly? Mine (Philadelphia Cream Cheese, not light or fat free) shows 8 grams of calcium per serving.

Quite sure, thanks. Nutrition major background. It'd be a bad thing if I couldn't read labels. I must be buying an inferior product. Here's the odd thing. We have Philadelphia Cream Cheese in 1oz packets (for ease in traveling in the mornings) ... 0 grams of calcium. Funny it's different from yours.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I googled the calcium content for cream cheese, and in sorting through the varying brands, it appears that most labels list in the range of 0-3% per serving for calcium content. (Not sure how that works out in grams per serving...) Negligible amount, really, if you're looking to get a daily serving of calcium out of it. You'd have to eat a whole lot of cheese at that rate... Of course, I love cream cheese, so that really wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?
    Last edited by remote_goddess; 08-10-2007 at 11:54 AM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2517258;
    And how come at work management feels the need to send EVERY employee a paper copy of a memo saying there's a paper shortage and to conserve paper????
    That's a good one. Technology was supposed to solve the paper crisis, but I don't think it's helped. It seems there is just as much or more than before. Medical records, for example. Our offices have computer files for each patient ... updated during each visit by nurses/staff. Then after the visit the documents are printed and put in patient files. Just in case of hard drive and server failure. The fact that servers and drives are stored at 3 locations (one fireproof) does not seem to matter. But at least it's easy to read printed charts

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl;2499421;
    Shameful to say but as a teacher I've never found the greater than and less than symbols easy to understand in maths. I mean < and > . I really have to THINK about them as much as the kids I'm trying to teach!

AND I have never understood all that atom, proton, electron stuff in science, even though I got a good grade in my A level science!

Anyone else got any "mental blanks"

Worked with students for a number of years as well, so I commend you for your efforts, Belfastgirl.

I always had my students turn the greater and less than symbols into arrows. The arrow which points to the left is less (the "L" association) and right is greater. <--- ... --->

In time, the line could be faded out as the lessons progressed.

Comb, bomb, tomb: None of these words are pronounced the same. I don't get that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If the plural of mouse is mice........why is the plural of spouse not spice?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2517614;
    If the plural of mouse is mice........why is the plural of spouse not spice?
    ... or house hice?

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2517623;
    ... or house hice?

LoL! Does that mean one grain of rice is a rouse?
    "What you live, you learn. What you learn, you practice. What you practice, you become. What you become has consequences." -- Unknown

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Plural of louse is lice, after all! It's things like this that make the English language so confusing! And if we have to have "silent" letters, why do we bother to use them at all? It was a treat trying to explain that to my son when he was learning spelling and learning to read!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2514486;
    I'm with you. I think the 'coupon' pronunciation has to do with what you probably heard it called in your house when you were growing up. Even if you decide that you are going to change your pronunciation, it's easy to slip back into pronunciation habits from "back in the day".

I have a friend who is from Appalachia (but hasn't lived there since he was a teenager, and he's in his 50s now), and bless his heart, unless he is really thinking about it, he pronounces "our" as "ay-yer". It actually cracks me up, but is rather endearing and unique to him, since he is the only person from Appalachia that I know. He always threatened to invite me to dinner when his family came to town, but there was no way I was going because I knew I would be out of control!

I just watched a history of Scottish Clans (I found it fascinating) and after the uprising at Culloden in 1746, thousands of scots moved to America and settled in the mountains of NC, VA, TN, etc. Many of the pronunciations, words, etc. of Appalacia are actually Scottish in origin. There is a HUGE Scottish element in the area I live, so it's been interesting finding out the history and finding out just how much of what we think of as "mountain" or "Southern" culture is decendent from the original Scottish settlers. For instance, the KKK didn't come up with cross burning on its own. The Scots brought it from Scotland. Of course, there it meant something totally different. I found it interesting that so many of the words and stuff here are of Scottish decent.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread