+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you have never understood!

Re: Things you have never understood!

SO glad to see that I'm not the only word puzzle lover who doesn't get the attraction of Sudoku!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2513211;
    Prhoshay, I often wish I had thought about law school when I was younger...I did do the art thing in college, and now think it was pretty much a waste of time.
    I really meant performance arts. Was that your course of study? Mine was science, and I could definitely come up with a heck of a performance if I had to explain why I didn't get something done!

I've always wondered why the boats were called 'tugs' when they are usually pushing things. Why don't they call them 'push (es)'? That bugs me to this day, and no one has ever been able to give me a good reason. I know somebody out there knows the answer!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Why people have vanity plates that they only getting the meaning. Like what's the point? I mean everyone sees you driving, I want to get it to. Although, I have some funny ones that's everyone could get.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2513637;
    ..... I've always wondered why the boats were called 'tugs' when they are usually pushing things. Why don't they call them 'push (es)'? That bugs me to this day, and no one has ever been able to give me a good reason. I know somebody out there knows the answer!
    Because most tugs do tug. Where I live they do. You must live near a river where most tugs push barges. I know these as "push tugs". The International Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea (aka Collision Regs) calls them "pushing vessels". I suppose where you are they just call them tugs for short.
    BTW and FWIW, I work within the marine industry so I kinda know what I'm talking about here. Having said that, different geographical regions are going to have slightly different terminology on some things.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very interesting! Thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've always wondered why people say the word coupon as "Q-pon". There isn't a Q in the word. I know it sounds SO silly but it drives me nuts (especially after I used to work in a grocery store for 5 yrs and I'd hear it daily)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DixiePixie;2513846;
    I've always wondered why people say the word coupon as "Q-pon". There isn't a Q in the word. I know it sounds SO silly but it drives me nuts (especially after I used to work in a grocery store for 5 yrs and I'd hear it daily)
    that drives me crazy too. it's "coopon", people!!

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DixiePixie;2513846;
    My friends and I actually just had a discussion about this last week. I say "coo-pon" and my friends say "q-pon". They think I'm the one who says it weird. We are all from the same area, so it isn't like it's a regional thing. Who knows.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2514213;
    My friends and I actually just had a discussion about this last week. I say "coo-pon" and my friends say "q-pon". They think I'm the one who says it weird. We are all from the same area, so it isn't like it's a regional thing. Who knows.
    *I* know! And it's COO-PON!! As in "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon Coupons?"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I also say coo-pon, as that is how we pronounced it in NYC, where I was brought up. Now that I live in upstate NY, even my hubby (who is native to this area) calls it q-pon. It drives me nuts. I will have to use Newf's "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon Coupons?" next time he says q-pon. (Thanks Newf!) I had always used the reference of soup sounding like soop, not syoop (trying to make the que sound with an 's' in front of it).

Hubby also pronounces creek as crik. Would a cheek be a chick??? I say no! A lot of people around here pronounce coyote as ki-ote instead of ki-oh-te. I have always said the latter.

And orange is ore-inge up here, where I always say ahr-inge. Even my 4-year-old granddaughter tries to correct me! When she gets a little older I just might tell her that over 9 million people in NY pronounce it my way, compared to the maybe 7000 that live in this neck of the woods!

+ Reply to Thread