+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet 16 + New York... What to do?

Sweet 16 + New York... What to do?

Well, as some of you may know, I'll be turning 16 in a few months. Of course, my parents asked me if I wanted to do a party with my friends, but I declined that offer because I don't want any drama to occur and I don't want to be a diva like those little brats on MTV's Sweet 16 show...

Instead, I talked to my mother about going to New York for a week before school starts, and getting to do a lot of fun things there, rather than doing something at home. [My long-distance boyfriend lives in Queens, NY, so I would get to see him again too.]

We want to start planning out the trip and getting tickets to things in advance, but I have no idea what I want to do!

The only thing that I know I have to do while I am there is to go to Madame Tusaud's Wax Museum. Other than that, I haven't got a clue! I love to go to interactive, or science museums. I can't stand art galleries...

If anyone has been to New York with a teen, or just has some random ideas of places to eat, hotels to stay at, or other things to do, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking for things to do in Manhattan, and in Queens.
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Re: Sweet 16 + New York... What to do?

I'll say this - even if it isn't your first time in NY, and no matter what your age is, you must take the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan. Especially in the summer, you'll learn and see a lot, and just generally have a blast.

You might also want to check out the Statue of Liberty. She's extremely impressive, and I can just about guarantee you goose bumps!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

We will be there for 3 days in November for a family party. We have kids, so our ideas may or may not work.

Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center (I've been told it will be ice by the 2nd weekend in Nov.)

Empire State Bldg (almost did not want to post that, it's so obvious, but we'll have out kids watch Sleepless in Seattle first)

Statue of Liberty. We've been told to take the ferry across, it goes slowly in front of the statue and you get great pics. To get on the island and go to the statue close up is an all day event according to those we know.

Happy Sweet 16 RD, you'll have a blast!

I Is Stephanie

OH! I AM A TEEN!

* =worth it
    ** =definitely worth it
    *** =don't miss it
    **** =Must-see
    *****=life-changing experience

Times Square. Even if you don't like it on TV, it's so surreal being there in real life, it's alomst li's going to disappear on you. And the Applebee's there. It's 2 stories high, and you get a great view of ABC's giant Marquees and TV screen. *****

Broadway. Even if you don't see a show there, you have to walk down it, it's really exciting.***

Rockefeller Center, definitely. Not to miss. I might have to kill you if you pass Rocefeller center.****

If you were ever into the American Girl dolls, there's an amazing American Girl store there, it would be worth going into just to see everything.** (but I never really liked the American Girl Dolls...my sister, who liked them, said that it was a ****)

In the Bronx, I'd say the Bronx Zoo. It's amazing. It's a little oasis in the middle of the hurricane that is the Bronx. ***

Also in the Bronx: the New York Botanical Gardens. I've only seen them on Black Friday, so it's always cold and dead, but it's still impressive. I'm really not into plants, but ther's still beauty in it.**

And I'm going on Friday, I'll get back with even more exciting stuff to do!
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Thanks so much for your ideas so far! Has anyone stayed in a nice hotel that wasn't *too* expensive?

I would love to try to stay in the middle of Manhattan, or something. That would be amazing!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

lei
    FORT Fogey

Sounds great, RD!

I lived my first 25 years in NYC. My suggestions:

- Based on your museum interests (and for just about anyone) the Museum of Natural History, and the adjacent Hayden Planetarium, can't be beat.

- NYC is all about neighborhoods -- the variety of people, shops, restaurants, buildings, street musicians, etc. When I finally go back to visit, and take Mr. lei for his first non-touristy trip there, I want nothing more than to walk around the neighborhoods (especially Greenwich Village, SoHo, Little Italy, Chinatown, the upper west side, the financial district, 5th Ave/midtown, Central Park, etc.) just soaking in the sights, sounds, and flavors.

Enjoy!

If I were to go to NYC, I'd demand to go to either the NYC Opera or the Metropolitan Opera
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2466596;
    If I were to go to NYC, I'd demand to go to either the NYC Opera or the Metropolitan Opera
    This sort of makes me chuckle. My parental grandparents were Italian, and lived in Brooklyn after emigrating. My grandfather would have to sneak my aunts, uncles, and father to the opera, because my grandmother was steadfastly against it. She felt the opera was peasant entertainment that gave Italians a bad name, .

Still, they all sit around and sing and joke with each other from their favorites. Not too long ago, we were all watching a video of Madama Butterfly, with one of my uncles asleep. Ominous introduction music started, and my uncle sat right up, declared "here comes trouble!", and then went on with his nap.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2466312;
    Thanks so much for your ideas so far! Has anyone stayed in a nice hotel that wasn't *too* expensive?

I would love to try to stay in the middle of Manhattan, or something. That would be amazing!
    A friend of my sister's (my sis lives in Manhattan) just stayed at Hotel 17. It's down on 17th Street near the East Village. The friend got his room for $80 a night. My sis visited the hotel & said it was neat, clean and comfortable but small and no-frills. That price is for a shared bathroom situation. Before you freak out, what that means is that there are 4 full baths on the floor for the rooms (and it's a small hotel) and they lock and whatnot so people don't walk in on you or anything like that. Poking around the website, they do have private baths in rooms, but the price is a bit more--$150ish. About four years ago I stayed at Hotel Wolcott (whilst sister lived on the West Coast) and it's more centrally located--in the 30's, only a few blocks from the Empire State Building and the mondo huge Macy's, and not terribly far--just a quick subway or cab ride--from the theater district. It was $120 a night then, so it's probably a bit more than that now. (And those rooms have private baths .) Again, it's pretty no-frills (though they did have a serve-yourself breakfast included) but when in NYC, you don't want to be spending all of your time in the room!

I'll have to think about hotels... but... for simplicity's sake the Renaissance Hotel right in Times Square is a good central spot for a tourist.

Being 16, I would definitely recommend going to Dylan's Candy Bar and Serendipity 3 on E 60th. Shoot... this 38 year old loved frozen hot chocolates and chili at Serendipity. Have you ever seen the movie Serendipity with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale? And Dylan's is right across the street from Bloomingdale's!

You absolutely must go faux purse shopping in SoHo!

My biggest recommendation for anyone checking out the city is to just walk anywhere and everywhere. You always find the best little gems simply by walking without a destination. Stop into the quaint little shops and the seemingly dingy looking restaurant fronts and you'll be pleasantly surprised most of the time.

When is "a few months"? Will it be winter?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast