+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any quilters?

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Any quilters?

I had an idea awhile back that I'd like to share. I've always like socks with prints and patterns, and had a collection of socks going back to my teenage years! Most were unwearable, but I couldn't bring myself to part with them. There were memories tied up in every pair. It occurred to me one day that I could cut the feet off and make a quilt out of the tops. Instant quilting squares! It was a lot of fun designing the quilt. I did a reflective type pattern, since I had the pairs. For the thinner, lacier socks I put a lining behind, in complimentary colors. It turned out just great, and my sock collection no longer needs justification. When I look at it, I remember places and faces I encountered and the ever changing life I've lived while walking in those socks.

I'm strickly a hand sewer (too accident prone for a sewing machine), and only an average one at best, but this is a very easy quilt to make. Thought I'd pass the idea along to anyone who might have a sock collection, likes to sew, and could really use the drawer space.

Re: Any quilters?

What a fun idea! I've been planning to turn my son's baby clothes into a quilt.

Clothes! That's an even better idea. Thanks Delphyne, you've given me an idea that will be perfect for some clothes I very much wish to save. I'm glad I shared my quilting idea, because I wasn't getting there on my own, and it's the perfect thing to do. What a beautiful idea, using special clothes!

Premium Member

I love quilts. My great-aunt is a fabulous quilter, she is 102 years old and still making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2457129;
    My great-aunt is a fabulous quilter, she is 102 years old and still making them.
    Wow. That's awesome.

I don't quilt, but my mother does. I have one she made for me that has bits of my childhood dresses in them, and then another that my grandmother made the quilt-top and when we found it after she died (in a chest with a lot of other quilt-tops she never finished) my mother put the backing on. My grandmother used feed-sack squares -- they used to use those to make dresses.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2457129;
    I love quilts. My great-aunt is a fabulous quilter, she is 102 years old and still making them.
    That is amazing!

Lucy, what a special quilt that must be. I love the idea of using clothes. I've been dreading going through my Mom's clothing, but now I have a lasting purpose. It's funny how things work out. I've had her clothes in the back of my mind for months. I made it all the way into her closet about two months ago, broke down, and haven't been back in there since. I visit FORT and decide to mention my sock quilt. I made that over two years ago, but had the thought to mention it here. And I get the answer I needed. I can't help but feel my Mom had something to do with it, it has seemed often since she died that she has helped me out.

Delphyne, I can't thank you enough.

The sock quilt was my first full size quilt. I've made a few pillows, but mostly I made miniature quilts for doll house beds. Teeny tiny squares to work with, but you could make a couple quilts a day.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2457774;
    Delphyne, I can't thank you enough.
    I'm so glad you mentioned your quilt, too! A quilt of your mom's clothes will be a treasure, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne;2457777;
    I'm so glad you mentioned your quilt, too! A quilt of your mom's clothes will be a treasure, for sure.
    Lopevian, that's what I did with my mom's clothes five years ago. I knew I didn't want to donate absolutely everything since she had favorite outfits and would wear them often. I don't quilt by hand - I'm defintely a 'lazy' quilter and do it strictly on my machine, but I've been very happy with the way they've turned out. From my mom's clothes, I made a quilt for Mr. Rose and me, and one for our daughter. Then while I was at it, I made another one for our daughter from her many years' worth of soccer shirts. These were surprises for her when she graduated high school, and she was thrilled. She's taken both to college with her, and still uses them two years later. I backed them with high-quality bedsheets, using her college colors for her soccer one. An added bonus of making mom's quilts was even after washing, I could catch a whiff of her scent every now and then. Enjoy your project, Lopevian, it was very healing for me.

The quilt from my mom's clothes:

The quilt from Little Rose's soccer shirts (folded in half) in her apartment:

Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roseskid, your quilts are beautiful. I am a bit overcome right now, looking at your mom's quilt. I know how much it means to you, and it helped me to imagine my mom's quilt. It will be beautiful too, and I believe as you stated, that it will be healing. I will enjoy my project. The dread has been lifted.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts.

Happy tears...are so much better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast