+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

Re: Vacation plans & problems

Can I tell you I'm way excited over September this year? In early September mr. Fatale and his running club will run a "wine marathon" in the Bordeaux area, running between vineyards (me and some other "player's wives" will only do the wine bit ). We're staying in that area for four days doing some sightseeing and such.

After the rest of the club goes home me and mr. Fatale will do a road trip for an additional week and a half probably going down to the Riviera. After our vacation I will go on a conference for work in the middle of Switzerland so mr. Fatale will drop me off there. On the way there we'll stop by our friend in Geneva. I will stay in Switzerland for a week, the conference is for young professionals, under 35 so I'm expecting a lot of fun. I signed up for all the activities, including a trip up to the Alps, because, well it seems more fun than sitting in my hotel room all alone

I'm so excited for both of these trips, it's been a long time since I've had a long vacation just taking the day as it comes. I'm so looking forward to it, that I must remind myself once in a while to enjoy the present day as well (we will have two weeks vacation in July as well, hopefully Sweden will show itself from its best perspective).

As for problems (as the thread title indicates), how will I pack clothes to carry me through three and a half weeks? But I'm guessing I won't be wearing the same for my vacation as for the conference, and I did find a laundromat in the town I'm staying in, in Switzerland.

Anyone else have any exciting vacation plans for the summer?

MRD

Femme, that sounds fantastic.

Nope, no exciting plans here. We're just trying to make it through buying groceries and gas this summer since prices have gone up so much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What a fun exotic trip femme! I recommend layers. I just packed for a week vacation in less than one carry-on (room to buy gifts). I like to draw out a plan of what I'm bringing on paper. Wear your bulkiest clothes on the plane (jeans, T, shirt, shoes and socks, jacket/sweater thrown over the arm). I have a few basic matt jersey pieces (pants, skirt) that go a long way, don't wrinkle, and take up no space. I like to travel with several tank tops with built in shelf bras - two birds with one stone.
    Count your blessings!

Sounds great femme, have fun!

Leaving here today for the family summer fishing trip in Quebec, which I always look so forward to. Luckily too, have satellite internet access up there now, so won't have to go without. Will stop in Franklin, N.C. for a day or two of rockhounding on the way home.

That sounds great Femme! I'm jealous as heck....a conference in Switzerland? A day in the Alps? The conferences I go to are usually quite dull--although I missed out on one in Greece a week ago. My supervisor went so he presented my paper. I get to go to Vancouver in a few weeks to present, but Greece would have been spectacular! Enjoy Switzerland! Have you ever been there before?

My summer plans include a 12 day trip to the maritimes and Newfoundland with my mom and friend. We're flying into Halifax and renting a car and staying at B&B's all through the maritimes and Newfoundland. It's the 100 year anniversary of Anne of Green Gables so we're spending an extra day in PEI...plus Halifax Harbour, Peggy's Cove, vineyards in Nova Scotia, the Bay of Fundy, Gros Morne National Park, etc. etc. So I'll see the Pacific Ocean in Vancouver in mid July and the Atlantic Ocean from Eastern Canada in August. I'm so excited!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Femme, you're so lucky! The south of France is wonderful. You'll probably have more warm weather than cool, so at least the clothes are less bulky. Are you planning to do laundry at all? I usually pack try to pack around a few different colors, which makes it easier to mix and match outfits (black and white are really good for this). A comfortable, casual black dress or skirt can go a long, long way towards cutting down on the amount of stuff you need to bring; when we went to France and Italy in 2006, I had a black skirt that I must have worn on different parts of 10 different days (of 17).

And of course there's the age-old adage of pulling out everything you'll need and then putting half of it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;3092115;
    My summer plans include a 12 day trip to the maritimes and Newfoundland with my mom and friend. We're flying into Halifax and renting a car and staying at B&B's all through the maritimes and Newfoundland. It's the 100 year anniversary of Anne of Green Gables so we're spending an extra day in PEI...plus Halifax Harbour, Peggy's Cove, vineyards in Nova Scotia, the Bay of Fundy, Gros Morne National Park, etc. etc. So I'll see the Pacific Ocean in Vancouver in mid July and the Atlantic Ocean from Eastern Canada in August. I'm so excited!
    I would love to see pictures of PEI. I have adored Anne of Green Gables since I was a little redheaded girl. Have fun!

We are hoping to get to spend some time at the beach (Florida Panhandle) this summer. We're also going to the San Francisco area in September so that Mr. Doxie can be the best man in his brother's wedding.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm jealous, doxie -- I love San Francisco! Hubby and I went there (the City for a few days, and the rest of the week in Santa Rosa / Sonoma wine country with my cousins) in August last year. I hope to be able to go again soon.

Have fun!!!
    (It's hard not to!)

====================
    No traveling vacation for us this year -- gas prices along with the crappy HMO through hubby's employer. Just as I had (I thought!) replenished our savings from hubby's skin cancer surgery copayment from November, and socked away for at least a good weekend getaway, we find out that the surgical/hospital/outpatient facility copayment more than doubled with the renewal of the contract. So now I don't even have enough socked away for ONE of us to be able to have outpatient surgery / hospitalization / etc. this year! Oh well, I guess the bright side is that I didn't have to go into debt to pay the surgery copay . . .

So this year, we're having a "staycation"! For 4th of July, we're taking the bus to Old Town for an 1800s celebration, then coming home for steak and wine (a rare "big meat" meal), and a DVD. Actually, when living in San Diego, staycations are pretty good.
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-03-2008 at 11:44 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3101985;
    I'm jealous, doxie -- I love San Francisco! Hubby and I went there (the City for a few days, and the rest of the week in Santa Rosa / Sonoma wine country with my cousins) in August last year. I hope to be able to go again soon.

Have fun!!!
    (It's hard not to!)

====================
    No traveling vacation for us this year -- gas prices along with the crappy HMO through hubby's employer. Just as I had (I thought!) replenished our savings from hubby's skin cancer surgery copayment from November, and socked away for at least a good weekend getaway, we find out that the surgical/hospital/outpatient facility copayment more than doubled with the renewal of the contract. So now I don't even have enough socked away for ONE of us to be able to have outpatient surgery / hospitalization / etc. this year! Oh well, I guess the bright side is that I didn't have to go into debt to pay the surgery copay . . .

So this year, we're having a "staycation"! For 4th of July, we're taking the bus to Old Town for an 1800s celebration, then coming home for steak and wine (a rare "big meat" meal), and a DVD. Actually, when living in San Diego, staycations are pretty good.
    Ellen - I'm jealous of you too! I've only been to San Diego once (family trip - I was about 10 - we did the Sea World/Zoo thing) but I still remember how beautiful it was. Mr. Doxie went to college there and he loved it.

We are hoping to get to Santa Rosa while we are in California. We have friends there and would love to spend time with them. The last time we were there (2001) I insisted on visiting the Snoopy Museum and that was a lot of fun for me (not so much for Mr. Doxie).

We drove from SF to Alabama that same year. I made sure that I got to see Vegas, The Hoover Dam, The Grand Canyon and the other important sights on our trip because I am NEVER driving cross-sounty again. Once was enough.

Happy 4th and enjoy your steak!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I love Nova Scotia, especially Peggy's Cove!! I traveled there with my parents as a teenager and thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. I'd love to make a trip there with my kids someday. You are a lucky girl Spoose.....have a fantastic time and take lots of pictures to share when you get back.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread