+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

Re: Vacation plans & problems

My understanding is that if you have proof that you have applied for a passport, that they are easing the restriction. Check the U.S. Passport website for current information, and you can also check with your airline.

We planned an RV trip from Florida to the Grand Canyon, but due to an illness in the family we have rerouted and will now be traveling from Florida to Central New York, and then on to New England. Should be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2447341;
    I forgot to answer this part. I'm definitely going to St. Lucia for a week in August and possibly Australia for 10 days (my sister and her family just moved there for one year for their work). If anyone remembers the 'phobias' thread, yes I will be getting on a plane... heavily medicated on Johnny Walker and assorted feel good pills.
    Wow! Sounds like a great summer Speedbump! Enjoy the Johnny Walker and assorted pills!

I'll be taking my first true vacation since the car trips with the family back in the day...we're renting a van and packing our camping gear for a week in the Rocky Mountains (Jasper, mostly), back through Edmonton, home for a day then onto a cabin at a lake in Northern Saskatchewan with 8 friends for another week and a tee time at the local golf course every day we're there! And my birthday is sandwiched in there somewhere so I'm really looking forward to it! (All that and I'll have my new Harry Potter book with me so I may not be a good car companion )
    Don't let the small things sweat

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Speedy, I've been to St. Lucia (beautiful foliage!) and Australia several times...for the latter, don't forget to get your visitor's visa before leaving the country. You're going to love it! Have a drink for me!

I had to get my passport renewed early this year and paid extra for the expedited process. It took less than 2 weeks, which was nice (but cost about 2x as much, but it was worth it). My husband was slow renewing his and we needed his passport for a vacation we were taking...but he had already sent his form in for the regular renewal. He ended up calling them and they expedited his processing after they took down his credit card to charge him extra. It took more than 2 weeks, but it was here in less than a month. It might be something worth trying.

Good luck!!

Unless a job comes through for me in the meantime, I'll be accompanying my dad up to Quebec in July for a couple weeks for our annual summer fishing trip. Beautiful area, and good fishing; go for northern pike, bass, lake trout, ect.

My husband and I usually take a trip or two out west to Vegas and the surrounding region each year, but I don't see it happening any time soon... once we're back in work, get some vacation time and save up a bit, we'll start planning again. We did just get, though it was for a job interview, a little mini-vacation-- we were just in the mountains of western N.C. for a job interview my hubby had Tuesday morning. Beautiful area, one of my favorite regions, certainly wouldn't mind that job coming through! On Monday we were able to do a full day of gem mining near Franklin, which being a rockhound is one of my favorite things to do up there, and got quite a haul. Glad we have a laptop now, letting us finally get online while we are away from home, though I won't be able to connect for a few weeks if I go to Quebec.

I am going to NYC for 5 days in August. I have the hotel and flight booked and tickets to see two Broadway shows. Other than that, I am not sure what I am going to do while I am there. If I get a teaching job, I guess I will be doing lesson plans in Central Park
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2447799;
    I am going to NYC for 5 days in August. I have the hotel and flight booked and tickets to see two Broadway shows. Other than that, I am not sure what I am going to do while I am there. If I get a teaching job, I guess I will be doing lesson plans in Central Park
    You'll have so much fun on your trip!! Especially if you get to do your lesson plans and IEPs in Central Park! What an awesome way to start off...

BTW, which two shows are you seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2447823;
    You'll have so much fun on your trip!! Especially if you get to do your lesson plans and IEPs in Central Park! What an awesome way to start off...

BTW, which two shows are you seeing?
    Avenue Q for the first time and RENT....the whole reason for the trip is to see Adam and Anthony during their time back in the show.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I asked my brother (who we're going to visit) what we'd need if the passports don't come. He said a picture ID and birth certificate if we're driving or taking the ferry. He and his wife just went up a couple of weeks ago, so I hope nothing has changed. QueenB pm'd the same info so it should be all right. At this point, I'm almost past worrying about it. I'm more concerned that my daughter gets me the certified letter allowing us to take the kid out of the country. Otherwise we're going to get to see lots of Maine.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Yeah Gracie, get that certified letter! My sister is a widow with two young daughters. She had to bring a copy of her husband's death certificate with her to both passport applications appointments, just so the Passport people knew that she wasn't trying to take the girls out of the country against her husband's wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2447206;
    I've always been fascinated with bridges ever since I was a little kid so the highlight for me will be driving across the Mackinac Bridge.
    Oh, man. I'd have my head in my lap the whole way. It's not that I'm afraid of heights or bridges per se, it's that I'm afraid of falling .
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread