+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

Premium Member

Re: Vacation plans & problems

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2446124;
    I have another reason not to fly US air. We flew home last year from Vancouver with a change in Atlanta. The Vancouver agent booked our seats for both flights. We get on the plane in Atlanta and we have the exit row seats. This was before I had lost a lot of weight and my friend was also overweight. They waited until the plane was ready to taxi and the stewardess comes to us and says: You can't sit here. We need "able bodied" people in this row and you can't sit here. She made us stand up and then announced to the entire plane that they needed volunteers to change seats with us. The entire plane is staring at us and it really made us embarrassed the way she went about it. . She might just have well announced: "I need 2 people to change seats with the fat girls" because that is how it went over.
    And made it out like it was our fault when it was one of their ticket agents that booked the seats. So if they can't have fat people in the exit row, then the ticket agents need to be aware of it when they book people.
    Then they apologized about 200 times which drew even more attention. I was so over the entire ordeal.
    I think that's the same on any airline though. I just flew to California and back last month on United (I was on 4 different planes) and they always checked the people who were seated in the exit rows to make sure they understood their responsibility by being in those rows and gave them the chance to change seats if they wanted. They made some of them change seats because they had either a small child or baby with them. The impression I got was that the flight crew was just doing their job because the safety of the passengers is their responsibility and they have to make sure the people in the exit rows are truly physically capable of pushing open those big exit doors and assisting people. Most of the people on my flights were so engrossed in their newspapers or whatever they were doing that they didn't even notice that was going on.

That's kind of weird Mar...I don't know why they would put passengers with babies in those aisles. You have to be at least 15 years old to sit there. It kind of cracked me up once, because they made my athletic, tall, strong 14 year old daughter move and put an old lady in her seat. I would bet my daughter had a better chance to lift that door out than some 80 year old.... But they are fairly strict about the rules.

Premium Member

I picked my seats online so I wonder if that had something to do with it. I can't remember if it said anything about the exit rows when I was booking my flights. I did the whole thing online though, so maybe it's different if you go through the airline or a travel agent. I've never heard of a rule that you had to be 15 to sit there. That's funny that they thought an old lady could handle that.

Gracie-

Try your local state Representative. My local Rep does and he can get a passport in 1 week. I'm going to do my application through him since I need a passport for August.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2446462;
    I picked my seats online so I wonder if that had something to do with it. I can't remember if it said anything about the exit rows when I was booking my flights. I did the whole thing online though, so maybe it's different if you go through the airline or a travel agent. I've never heard of a rule that you had to be 15 to sit there. That's funny that they thought an old lady could handle that.
    Okay, last word from me...I promise... . I travel a lot on planes. I also book my seats online, and if I pick an exit row, American Airlines takes me to another screen that makes me read the rules and click that I understand before I can sit there. Maybe other airlines are different, but American, for sure has that age restriction.

I think the age restriction is actually an FAA rule. I've gotten moved from my assigned seat to the exit row because a kid under 15 was actually assigned a seat there by Alaska. When I grumbled because I didn't get to sit by my friend I was traveling with, they apologized and said they had no choice.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2446511;
    Okay, last word from me...I promise... . I travel a lot on planes. I also book my seats online, and if I pick an exit row, American Airlines takes me to another screen that makes me read the rules and click that I understand before I can sit there. Maybe other airlines are different, but American, for sure has that age restriction.
    Northwest airlines is the same way. In fact, you normally can't book those seats till a few hours ahead of time. I am always happy to trade into the exit row seats because I love the leg room. When you have long legs, every little bit counts.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2446442;
    I think that's the same on any airline though. I just flew to California and back last month on United (I was on 4 different planes) and they always checked the people who were seated in the exit rows to make sure they understood their responsibility by being in those rows and gave them the chance to change seats if they wanted. They made some of them change seats because they had either a small child or baby with them. The impression I got was that the flight crew was just doing their job because the safety of the passengers is their responsibility and they have to make sure the people in the exit rows are truly physically capable of pushing open those big exit doors and assisting people. Most of the people on my flights were so engrossed in their newspapers or whatever they were doing that they didn't even notice that was going on.
    I understand completely about why certain people should not sit in the exit rows, but we did not ask to be seated there. The ticket agent who should know better put us there and the flight attendents made it a HUGE HAIRY deal once we were there and embarrassed us in front of the entire plane. And I can assure you that people were paying attention to the spectacle and not reading the paper or not noticing what was going on because the flight attendents made sure that EVERYONE could hear and see what was going on. They went apesh*t over this when it could have been handled very differently, very quietly and without embarrassing anyone. And they KNEW they had embarrassed us or they would not have apologized each and every time they walked by my new seat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2446511;
    You know, I don't fly more than once every couple of years, and when I booked my flights those seats were already taken so the issue never came up for me. That would make sense as to why I had never heard of that rule. I wasn't trying to start a debate with you or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2446074;
    We actually had no plans, but now I get to spend several lovely days relaxing at the hospital next week. Ah, nothing like a morphine drip and a hospital room for your vacation.

I'd much rather be on the beach with a margarita though.
    a margarita drip would be better But hopefully you have a view
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread