+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

Re: Vacation plans & problems

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3530160;
    This looks like it may be a good thread for this post (please help!)

My husband and I will be traveling in early August thru NYC and I really want to stop for a few days and explore. We do not know the area and are unsure of where to stay, how to get around, where to park, etc... We will have the car, a small dog and can spend around $100/night for a hotel (clean, safe, decent). I am guessing that it is nearly impossible to stay 'in the city' for that amount so we are open to short drives (but then parking?!?) or whatever is necessary. Any suggestions?

Definitely appreciate any and all help! Thanks in advance!
    Where to stay: If you can't stay in Manhattan, and yes, it will be difficult to find a room for $100 a night, I would consider a hotel in Long Island City to be preferable to one in New Jersey. The big advantage here is that LIC is part of the city and is accordingly served by subways and city buses. And it's a quick easy trip into Midtown. Unfortunately, I can't be much help as far as hotels are concerned, since I live in Manhattan.

How to get around: Mass transit (and walking). Subways, buses. Fare is $2.25/ride whether you take it a quarter mile or the entire 32 (I think) mile length of the A train, and of course there are single day, week, two week, 30 day, etc. Metrocards as well. Ideally, you'll want to find an affordable spot for your car and leave it for the duration of your trip. Parking in midtown can easily be $40-$45 a day, but driving in Manhattan isn't worth the hassle, time, money, etc, if you can avoid it.

Where to park: Hopefully your hotel will have free(ish) parking. Otherwise, you might consider taking a train in from Jersey/Connecticut/Westchester if you can find free or inexpensive parking at one of the stations (Metro North/NJ Transit). Otherwise, try to find a cheap lot. Parking in Manhattan can be, as you might imagine, pricey.

As for the rest, what kinds of things interest you? What do you want to see? Either post/pm me and I'll try to help where I can. If you do have the dog, though, Central Park sounds like a great stop...

my only vacation right at this moment considers going to my friend's house in eastern middle Finland. easiest way to get there is drive, but I highly doubt I'll get my dad's car just for that, since I just borrowed it for a week to go to work. sooo, then the trip equals 1,5hrs of sitting in the bus and 5,5hrs of sitting in the train, which obviously couldn't even be one of the new comfortable ones. really nice. and I even probably need to change the train at some point on the way.
    I'm a mess and you're worse
    Just give me time to give you a waste of time

We are leaving for Alaska one week from today!! The kennel reservations have been made for the dogs. We just need to do some weekend cleaning and find a kid to cover one of our paper routes. I'm so excited to get away from home for a while!!

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Has anyone ever gone on a Hawaiian cruise? I'm thinking about booking one next April but I was wondering about the weather and the ocean. The cruise I'm thinking about is on Carnival Spirit 12 days from Honolulu to Vancouver. I'm pretty sure the time going around the islands will be good because I mean it's Hawaii but the trip to Vancouver across the Pacific I'm not sure about. I've been on cruises before and I don't get seasick but I know the Pacific can get really rocky so I was wondering if anyone had any experiences they wanted to share. Thanks.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I love New York!

Okay mods, don't know if this is allowed or not, but I gotta put it out there..
    I live in the south and have only been to NYC twice, but I love it and I want to go back. Anybody on FORT live in NYC and want to put me up for a couple of days? Or can you suggest a cool Manhattan hotel that doesn't cost through the roof and would be a good jumping off point to travel to points of interest? And by points of interest, I specifically want to visit the New York Public Library, the Museum of Modern Art, stroll through central park, see some of the places that the New York Real Housewives hang out, etc.

I'm not a crazy stalker or in any way overly weird. Just a simple, laid back Georgia girl (okay, a middle aged woman) who is fascinated with NYC. I want to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge, meet Alex, Simon and Ramona, visit some firehouses, see Coney Island, walk down a street of brownstones, etc.

I promise I'm not crazy!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

What's your budget, and for what time of year? I can try to recommend a hotel, although I live in the city so I'm not all that familiar. Long Island City might be a less expensive option, which is Queens but a short 7 train ride from Manhattan. If you're comfortable traveling on the subway (and since you want to see Coney Island, I assume that you are), it doesn't matter quite as much where you stay.

If you have other questions, too, feel free to ask.

+ Reply to Thread