+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

MRD

Re: Surprise Trip

Don't forget the websites like priceline and stuff. We got a room at the Westin back in March in Atlanta for $50 a night by going through one of those booking sites. You can get some really GREAT savings on really nice hotels for what you'd pay for a budget hotel room.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Vacation plans & problems

You do have to do the 'name your own price' thing to get a really big break like that on Priceline, but since you can name the 'star level' and area of the city you want (but not the hotel) when you bid, you do have a fair amount of control that allows you to know you aren't getting stuck in a dump.
    I'm going to Ft Meyers/Sanibel Island this weekend with my sister, and we wanted to spend one night in FT meyers so we could see the Edison/ford house and gardens, and we got a 3.5* 'boutique' hotel for $75, on a Friday night--that's actually just a little more than half the regular rate.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3482976;
    We've stayed at the "Choo Choo" twice... It is a Holiday Inn property - but staying in the actual vintage train cars is REALLY cool. Make sure to ask for an "end" train carriage so you won't end up next to the diner car and go home smelling like pizza!

Chattanooga Choo Choo

That hotel has all kinds of packages including Tennessee Aquarium tickets - the Aquarium is AMAZING if you like that sort of thing.

Chattanooga has a free shuttle bus which runs throughout downtown and is wonderful.

I'll find the other links and post them tomorrow - but check the Choo Choo website - lots of info there. It's a lovely place and I'm sure y'all would have a great time there!
    Wow thank you I am looking at the website now and for a romantic getaway package its almost $300 just for one night...it does seem like a beautiful place to stay!

Looking for honeymoon suggestions - no, not for me. but the daughter will be gettng married next year and we have a timeshare week we can give them.
    what are good places to go for honeymoons?

MRD

Queenb, have fun. Sanibel is great. If you get a chance, go to the Bubble room on Sanibel. It's a little expensive, but worth it.
    AND there is a fabulous seafood restaurant at the foot of the bridge near the Edison house. I can't remember the name of it, but it's the only seafood restaurant at the foot of the bridge. But it's on the other side of the river from Edisons house.
    Avoid the Shell Factory. MAJOR nasty tourist trap that used to be quite fun in it's day, but it's day was over about 30 years ago.

Great shelling at Sanibel. Better beaches too, I've always thought Ft. Myers beaches were nasty. Head to Doc Fords on Sanibel. It's named after a character in books written by a local author, but if you get the chance, I would highly reccomend getting a water taxi to go to Cabbage Key. Supposedly that is where Buffet got the inspiration for Cheeseburger in Paradise. Very old Florida style hotel and some great walking paths on a pretty much unspoiled, undeveloped barrier island that gives you a look at what old Florida was like.

Have fun, I expect pictures. That used to be part of my old stomping grounds back in the day. :-)

We already found the website to the Bubble Room, and have decided we HAVE to go. But thanks for looking out for me, and I'm glad to know it is recommended! We aren't really into Jimmy Buffet, and only have a couple of days, so will probably stick to shell looking, bird watching, kite flying, and maybe fishing, near our own room (on Sanibel) and of course a couple of drinks are in order. The only thing in Fort Meyers we really want to see is the Edison House--otherwise it's mostly about the seashells. We aren't even going to Ft Meyers Beach.
    I've been to Sanibel before, but it's been years. I'm looking forward to spending the time with my sis without having to cater to a passel of kids, mostly.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pwettybird;3483366;
    Wow thank you I am looking at the website now and for a romantic getaway package its almost $300 just for one night...it does seem like a beautiful place to stay!
    I looked at that too. I would suggest calling and just getting a rate for two nights and skipping the "package thing". That package includes a restaurant credit and the restaurant at the Choo-Choo are not that good or romantic....
    There are a lot of other places to eat in Chattanooga.

Here is another link: Chattanooga Visitors Bureau - Chattanooga's Official Travel Site

The Aquarium is fun and there is a river boat cruise. Also the "Ducks" which are WWII vehicles that drive through the city and then splash into the river for a river cruise are a BLAST! They aren't too expensive and just a lot of fun.

We stayed at the Sheraton Read House Hotel on our honeymoon. It's a neat, downtown hotel and the restaurant there (Porter's) had the BEST sandwich that I have ever eaten. I have dreamed about that sandwich since then!

Not sure about the rates there - the Read House site is down - but you can link to it from the above site. Even if you don't stay there, you SHOULD eat there!

I'm SURE that you can come up with a fairly inexpensive trip to Chattanooga. We're about 3 hours away and we've gone up there three or four times for the weekend and had a great time! I'll see what else I can find to help.

Queen B - have a blast in Sanibel! I want to see pics!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3484017;
    We already found the website to the Bubble Room, and have decided we HAVE to go. But thanks for looking out for me, and I'm glad to know it is recommended! We aren't really into Jimmy Buffet, and only have a couple of days, so will probably stick to shell looking, bird watching, kite flying, and maybe fishing, near our own room (on Sanibel) and of course a couple of drinks are in order. The only thing in Fort Meyers we really want to see is the Edison House--otherwise it's mostly about the seashells. We aren't even going to Ft Meyers Beach.
    I've been to Sanibel before, but it's been years. I'm looking forward to spending the time with my sis without having to cater to a passel of kids, mostly.
    Cabbage Key is very UNBuffet like. It's old Florida, the restuarant just served as his inspiration for the song. What I like about Cabbage Key is it is very unspoiled, the only thing on the island is the old hotel and restaurant and a few cabins that go with the hotel. But great trails and beautiful views.
    I listened to Buffett back in the 70's before everyone else joined the Parrothead craze. Now, I still like him, but I liked him a lot more before he became a corporation and an excuse for people to wear stupid clothes and hats and sing Margaritaville in a drunken stupor.
    You will find more Buffett-like Florida on Ft. Myers Beach.

This looks like it may be a good thread for this post (please help!)

My husband and I will be traveling in early August thru NYC and I really want to stop for a few days and explore. We do not know the area and are unsure of where to stay, how to get around, where to park, etc... We will have the car, a small dog and can spend around $100/night for a hotel (clean, safe, decent). I am guessing that it is nearly impossible to stay 'in the city' for that amount so we are open to short drives (but then parking?!?) or whatever is necessary. Any suggestions?

Definitely appreciate any and all help! Thanks in advance!

You might try priceline to see if you can get a hotel in the city on your budget. I have actually stayed in the city for less than a hundred so you might get lucky As for parking, good luck! They have garages. Hopefully you can get a hotel that has parking. If not, you'll be able to find a garage. I'm not sure about your pet, though. You'll have to investigate pet-friendly hotels.

Stay in Manhattan if at all possible. Go to Central Park, walk up and down the streets, see Times Square, eat in a NY cafe, go to a museum if you have more than one day. Enjoy the hustle and bustle and have fun!!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread