+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Vacation plans & problems

Re: Vacation plans & problems

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3288459;
    I agree Star. Especially Air Canada It is almost impossible to use miles. American Airlines is MUCH better about the miles. My husband travels a lot for business and for the very first time we used his points to book the flight and resort so it's free for us too We used our American points since I can't even deal with Air Canada...they really tick me off. Oh yeah, I'll travel when the moon is full, overnight in Cranbrook and spend 36 hours and 5 stops to get somewhere
    That is hilarious!! We are actually flying Air Canada which made it even funnier! A girl at work swears by her Aeroplan which is what made me go try there again. She says the trick to Aeroplan is to book as far in advance as you can. We tried to get a ticket in the fall for my mom to come when a family member was sick and it was 78000 miles return from Ottawa but now the girls and I are flying for 25000 return + $100.10 each so I am not knocking them right now And we didn't have to pick a full moon and a stop over in Cranbrook

Star Thanks!! It really frustrates me when I can go to almost anywhere in the world cheaper than it is to go somewhere in Canada. Hence why I haven't been able to go see them in so long.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3289264;
    But Star, now you live in an Airtran city! I LOVE their Rewards program, and their jets which are new compared to other airlines. I have their Visa card (NEVER carry a balance over, though... % rate) and usually end up with a free trip per year just from putting my household bills on it--have never had any trouble getting what I want either. But look ...You didn't "want' the days you could get, and now you are getting a much needed and unexpected break in a fun place.

We do the same thing with Frontier and their credit card. It started out great and we adored them, but things haven't been as good since they declared bankruptcy. Their planes and in-air customer service hasn't changed. We've always thought it was top-notch. The reservations customer service sucks, though. Maybe you're right and I should look into Airtran's credit card.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Frintier does 'partner' with AT on their programs, though it's not an even swap, if you ever need to know for future reference. The information about transferring credits between the two is kind of hard to find on the webite, although it's there, if it hasn't changed.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Best Vacation....it was a corporate group holiday all organized through AMA, Air Canada, and the resort. Everything, absolutely everything taken care of. We had a briefing reception prior to going, all copies of passport, insurance, other documentation pre-done, internet pre-boarding, an AMA rep at the airport to send us off and another to meet us in Mexico with our own bus (loaded with cold cerveza), quick private hotel registering, maps, daily newsletters to our rooms, arrange meetups, unplanned days, approved and capable tour operators, everything. Absolutely, a No-Problem-o kind of trip.

A few hiccups....mixed up rooms, phone not working, iron not working, drinks with no booze in it, but nothing major.

I'd definitely recommend boning up on required documents, airport travel changes; local customs, and security alerts before going anyway. If you are smart and stay aware, you will have a safe and enjoyable vacation!
    ------------------------
    FYI - Phone calls to Canada from Mexico were $7 per MINUTE! Phone cards were very expensive. Internet use was $75 USD for 20 minutes! Use the "no news is good news" attitude.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3372188;
    . . . A few hiccups....drinks with no booze in it, but nothing major . . .
    Drinks with no booze???!!!!! Excuse me, but that's major!

Seriously, though, I'm glad you had a great time! (But drinks with no booze is STILL major . . . )
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I always operate on the no news is good news rule on vacation. I'm on vacation, I don't want to talk on the phone or be on the computer.

But it sounds like a wonderful trip, you must post photos.

However the no booze thing would have been major for me too.

Glad you had such a good time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ok I have to go to Mobile Alabama at the end of the month anyone know of any good eats and fun to do there? I am staying at the renaiissance Riverview a Marriot hotel near the convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3373151;
    Ok I have to go to Mobile Alabama at the end of the month anyone know of any good eats and fun to do there? I am staying at the renaiissance Riverview a Marriot hotel near the convention center.
    Mobile should be beautiful that time of year. I'm in Alabama, but haven't been to Mobile in a long time. I've emailed a friend who is a long time resident there and I hope she'll get back to me with some restaurant suggestions for you

I DO suggest that you eat as much Gulf Coast seafood as you possibly can. My husband is originally from California and he says that the seafood here is way better than anything he's had before. And, of course, there is always the good old Southern "soul food". Have fun!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3373190;
    Mobile should be beautiful that time of year. I'm in Alabama, but haven't been to Mobile in a long time. I've emailed a friend who is a long time resident there and I hope she'll get back to me with some restaurant suggestions for you

I DO suggest that you eat as much Gulf Coast seafood as you possibly can. My husband is originally from California and he says that the seafood here is way better than anything he's had before. And, of course, there is always the good old Southern "soul food". Have fun!
    I am originally from Baltimore MD and yeah the seafood here in CA is not the same. I love when I go home and get to have Salmon, Crabs, and my Auntie's homemade crabcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3373337;
    I am originally from Baltimore MD and yeah the seafood here in CA is not the same. I love when I go home and get to have Salmon, Crabs, and my Auntie's homemade crabcakes.
    Crabcakes are probably my favorite food.

Ok. I heard back from my friend in Mobile and she had a few suggestions as far as restaurants go.

Welcome to Wintzell's Oyster House That one is downtown, fairly close to your hotel and locally famous.

The Battle House Hotel (also downtown) has a nice restaurant/bar.

Welcome to the Original Oyster House This is out on the Causeway and you will need a car to get there. I just looked at the online menu and am now starving.

Blue Gill Restaurant - Mobile Alabama's Best Live Music Venue - Home This one is also out of downtown, but it has been there 50 years and looks like fun!

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread